Author Topic: If Bob Barker had not become the host of Price...  (Read 5882 times)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: If Bob Barker had not become the host of Price...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »
If Bob had retired in the 90s, Combs would have been nothing short of hand-picked to host Price IMO.

I still can't believe Todd Newton didn't get the Price gig after Bob retired. Wahlberg would have been good, and it would have been nice to see a native of the Carolinas hosting a show!

I wonder if Todd would of hosted if Bob retired in the early 2000's when Todd was hosting Whammy and other shows. He would of been the ideal person

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »

I wonder if Todd would of hosted if Bob retired in the early 2000's when Todd was hosting Whammy and other shows. He would of been the ideal person

Todd would have definitely been near the top of the list, I would think
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Priceboi1983

• In Contestant's Row
  • Come on Down!
    • Justin's Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »
When Mark Goodson pitched the idea in 1972 they used Dennis James so more than likely he’d been host if not Bob. However Dennis did the night time version in the 70s.

Ref:
And all this could be yours if... The Price is Right

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 05:49:42 PM »
^This is because CBS did not express interest in a daytime series until later in 1972, which is when Bob entered the picture (albeit reluctantly at first).
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »
CBS apparently didn't want James for the daytime show, for whatever reason.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 11:58:41 PM »
CBS apparently didn't want James for the daytime show, for whatever reason.
I seem to recall seeing that it was Bud Grant, CBS daytime head in 1972, that specifically went after Barker for the show.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
Every time I hear "Bud Grant" I think of Mary Tyler Moore. "Oh Mister Grant!" plus another fellow also named Bud Grant was the long time head coach of the Minnesota Vikings, and Minnesota was the setting for the MTM show.

I recall reading in the "Come On Down!" book by Stan Blits that Bob at first expressed more interest in hosting Gambit or Joker's Wild instead of Price, but the powers that be told Bob that his personality and experience were more in line with audience participation shows and that if he took either one of the other gigs, he would be nothing more than a "traffic cop".  I am glad the powers that be were able to convince Bob to take the daytime Price gig.  I dare say we all are glad of this!

Oh BOB!!!