Author Topic: If Bob Barker had not become the host of Price...  (Read 5881 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
If Bob Barker had not become the host of Price...
« on: May 13, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
...Who do you think would have been suitable for the job? About the only one that I've decided could have carried Price like Barker did would be Wink Martindale. He definitely would have had the same longevity that Barker had, and I dare say he would have even carried on longer than Barker did. I could also see Gene Rayburn fitting into the role, but he would not have lasted as long as Martindale or Barker.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: If Bob Barker had not become the host of Price...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
They would have more than likely gone with Dennis James, but I would say that had he not been busy with Split Second Tom Kennedy would have been a good pick. Geoff Edwards would have been excellent as well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:15:31 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »
...Who do you think would have been suitable for the job? About the only one that I've decided could have carried Price like Barker did would be Wink Martindale. He definitely would have had the same longevity that Barker had, and I dare say he would have even carried on longer than Barker did.
Though that raises two other considerations...
1) With Wink at the helm, there would've been far fewer scandals (if not zero altogether) regarding treatment of staff and other on-air personnel, which in turn leads to wondering whether Marc Breslow would've been replaced in 1986, or whether Dian, Holly, or Janice and Kathleen would've lasted longer than they did.
2) Wink doesn't strike me as being a "politician" the same way Barker did, which makes me wonder who would've gotten the Executive Producer's spot when Frank Wayne passed away in 1988.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 05:57:52 PM »
If he had the mobility, Bill Cullen. No doubt in my mind he would have been spectacular.

Jim Perry could have done a good job too.

Offline Michael

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:37:15 PM »
Eubanks would have done well.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 10:58:27 PM »
Dick Clark came to mind for me in addition to a couple of the other names brought up.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
What if Bob left in 1990?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »
Due to Bob's long tenure, a good alternative question would be "What if Bob Barker retired from the show in 1990?" This was about midway through his run, yet at the time, Drew was just an up-and-coming kid who had a few comedy club appearances on pay cable at the time, yet it was still busy with newer hosts around that time, such as Pat Finn, Ross Schaefer, Ken Ober, Marc Summers, and David Rupreckt, along with veteran hosts like Peter Tomarken, Richard Dawson, Bob Eubanks, and Monty Hall still active or ready to host, and I'd see CBS going after one of these younger hosts. I almost felt like if Bob retired around then, the daytime show would probably evolve to look like the Davidson version within a few years.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »
^ Tomarken definitely gets my vote for the above question. His interaction with the often-hyper contestants on PYL showed he could probably handle it just fine, and of course re-teaming him with Rod Roddy would be a big plus. Sadly, it's possible he wouldn't have been considered due to previously hosting the horrible TPiR knock-off Bargain Hunters.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:27:14 PM »
^ Tomarken definitely gets my vote for the above question. His interaction with the often-hyper contestants on PYL showed he could probably handle it just fine, and of course re-teaming him with Rod Roddy would be a big plus. Sadly, it's possible he wouldn't have been considered due to previously hosting the horrible TPiR knock-off Bargain Hunters.
Either him or Tom Kennedy (who also had Rod as announcer on Whew!) would do just fine. I liked Tom on the 80s nighttime show, even though it ran for only one season. It would've been fun to see how Tom (or Dennis, for that matter) would do on the Big Wheel segment, since neither one ever got the chance (but surprisingly, Doug did in 1994).

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 05:20:13 PM »
So many good candidates to be sure.  Jim Perry would have been my first pick had it been circa 1990.

Funny thing too is Jim Perry also dyed his hair.  He was grey at a pretty young age himself.

Geoff Edwards would have been phenomenal!  Such a shame he never got a really good long-lasting show.  He was ever so close to landing the Family Feud gig back in '76 but he went with "Shoot For The Stars" instead on NBC...

Peter Tomarken would have been another outstanding host for "Price is Right".  I hadn't really thought about him before but he'd have been amazing.  Peter was another underrated game show host.  So tragic A. that he died and B. in the way that he died...

I could picture Wink hosting it too.  Imagine if he took over circa 1990 and they were playing Secret "X"...Wink would want the empty spaces in the center column to be replaced with dragons!!!

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 02:13:11 AM »
Jim Perry would of been my top choice
Monty Hall Deal and Price are similar shows if Deal wasn't airing i could see Monty Hall hosting the show.
Tom Kennedy he did an amazing job on the show he would of been perfect.
Dennis James hes my favorite host, i think the only problem with him is picking up on the new pricing games.
Chuck Woolery would be interesting he hosts his shows for a long time.

If Bob retired in the 90's
Doug Davidson- I would like to see how he would handle the one bids.
Ray Combs- Would of been a great choice had they cancel Feud in 94 and gave him a chance to host Price.

If Bob Barker retired in the early 2000's
Todd Newton or Mark L. Walberg would of been my choices.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:21:03 AM by Reloaden »

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
Jim Perry would of been my top choice
Monty Hall Deal and Price are similar shows if Deal wasn't airing i could see Monty Hall hosting the show.
Tom Kennedy he did an amazing job on the show he would of been perfect.
Dennis James hes my favorite host, i think the only problem with him is picking up on the new pricing games.
Chuck Woolery would be interesting he hosts his shows for a long time.

If Bob retired in the 90's
Doug Davidson- I would like to see how he would handle the one bids.
Ray Combs- Would of been a great choice had they cancel Feud in 94 and gave him a chance to host Price.

If Bob Barker retired in the early 2000's
Todd Newton or Mark L. Walberg would of been my choices.

If Bob had retired in the 90s, Combs would have been nothing short of hand-picked to host Price IMO.

I still can't believe Todd Newton didn't get the Price gig after Bob retired. Wahlberg would have been good, and it would have been nice to see a native of the Carolinas hosting a show!
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Ray Combs was replaced as host of Family Feud because its ratings plummeted though. He also had the serious car accident in 1994 and various personal problems between then and his death so I doubt CBS would've chosen him.

I imagine CBS would've wanted a big name that most people knew not just from game shows (like Drew Carey) to replace Bob no matter when he retired whether it be in the 1990s or 2000s.

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 02:57:38 AM »
I would agree with Wink being a great host.

Another one who came to mind was David Ruprecht who hosted Supermarket Sweep. Like Wink he was another upbeat charming host who could easily work with the lively atmosphere the game show brings. (And he's currently one of the rotation hosts for the live show.)
Plinko is the worst game the show ever made.

Offline noahproblem

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
...Who do you think would have been suitable for the job? About the only one that I've decided could have carried Price like Barker did would be Wink Martindale.

Wink wouldn't have been available for 1972 unless he pulled double duty - Gambit premiered the same day.
So this is the "get off of my lawn" stage of my life.  I'm not impressed.