Author Topic: Press Your Luck  (Read 2840 times)

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
Press Your Luck
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:06:06 AM »
I used to watch the first-run episodes during Press Your Luck's original broadcast on CBS and now I'm enjoying them again on Buzzr. I have a few questions about the show's set.

It's pretty common knowledge that the show taped in different studios until it was finally decided that it's home would be in studio 43. But does anyone know how the main platform was spun around and on what did it pivot? Has anyone ever attended a taping during it's original run or have any behind-the-scenes pictures of the set?
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Press Your Luck
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 05:10:36 PM »
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/gameshows/images/f/f2/Pyl-scoreboard.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160217064512

Here's one of the scoreboard the contestants saw as well as their names below it.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »
Here's a picture of Rod warming up the audience in Studio 33. It looks to me wires are being fed from stage right. There may have been something motorized under the platform, or a stagehand used very long stick that pushed/pulled the platform into position (much like what was done on Super Password and Classic Concentration).

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »
I remember one time the platform wouldn't move so Peter mimicked moving it with his feet lol

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm really surprised how close the "platform" is to the audience in 33. It doesn't appear that the set pieces are that large to need to be so close yet it may be for better shots from the camera on the Chapman crane.

Watching shows from later in the run in studio 46 during bumpers and closing credits, it appears that the platform is farther away from the audience.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
I think it's interesting to note that the scoreboards the players could see used the original vane display like they did when the podiums changed for the 1991-1992 season of
"Jeopardy!" so the 6 looks like a lowercase b and the 9 looks like a lowercase q

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »
I think it's interesting to note that the scoreboards the players could see used the original vane display like they did when the podiums changed for the 1991-1992 season of
"Jeopardy!" so the 6 looks like a lowercase b and the 9 looks like a lowercase q

Those are honestly my favorite kind of displays.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 11:22:11 PM »

They look more like illuminated segments which J! actually did switch to in 1991. Vane displays have flippers which show the digits.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
They look more like illuminated segments which J! actually did switch to in 1991. Vane displays have flippers which show the digits.

True/ Still it's an interesting observation. I actually liked it when Jeopardy changed their podium displays for the 1991-1992 season. Too bad they couldn't have the winner's display flash like they did on Hollywood Showdown when the jackpot was won.