Author Topic: ABC Cancels The Chew  (Read 4555 times)

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: ABC Cancels The Chew
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
ABC has considered this for a long time now. When Michael Strahan left "Live" there were rumors that GMA would take over that 9AM hour, but reassured Kelly that her show was going to stay. Nothing will happen to "The View" or "Wendy Williams" as their ratings are doing just fine.

Except that wouldn't have been possible, since Live is NOT an ABC network show but rather syndicated (it airs at 9am on CBS here, for instance).

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Except that wouldn't have been possible, since Live is NOT an ABC network show but rather syndicated (it airs at 9am on CBS here, for instance).
But it is taped at WABC in New York.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 01:49:03 PM »
It is, and it’s carried by most of their O&Os the last time I looked. In theory, purely hypothetically, ABC could have tried swapping out the Chew’s slot for the 9 am slot on ABC affiliates. Affiliates could slide Live to 10 and rejigger their schedules. NBC managed something broadly similar as they shifted their daytime hours to Today, with just Days left as a non-news show.

However, I think this move accomplishes the broader goal for ABC, while opening a beachhead in a slot away from anything Today related.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 02:02:36 PM »
Cooking? Probably, but not daily on a regular basis.

Yeah ... maybe. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

My guess is that many fans are already satisfied with the local news programs (noon or mid-afternoon, depending on the market) offering cooking segments on them. I wouldn't think it would be mandatory to have daily cooking segment on GAA, although again we'll have to wait to see what unfolds with the first few shows.

Brian

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 11:36:04 PM »
I can't see ABC changing the WNT title anytime soon.  It took them from #3 to #1 in 1978 during a time when CBS still had Walter Cronkite and when NBC had John Chancellor and David Brinkley.  Interestingly, Brinkley would jump ship to ABC to host "This Week" a year or two later.  As for Good Morning America having an afternoon edition, my jury is out on this one.  Perhaps they could sprinkle in news segments at the top and bottom of the hour with special feature stories on location in various points of interest in the country based on the season.  Perhaps even film a few shows on location if the afternoon format gains some traction with viewers.  I really enjoyed GMA back when David Hartman, Joan Lunden, Spencer Christian, and Joel Siegel were the co-hosts.  If the current hosts can find that kind of synergy with a successful format, ABC could be on to something with an afternoon national newscast. 

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 04:42:37 AM »
I liked that era as well. But it’s gone. The current  era has found its own success and synergy, and good for them.