Author Topic: Updates and Maintenance 6/1/2018  (Read 37739 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
Updates and Maintenance 6/1/2018
« on: June 01, 2018, 01:13:48 AM »
Hey y'all! Long time no see.  Few minor to moderate updates:

[Backend] PHP has been upgraded from 5.2 (which came out in 2006!!) to 5.6 (circa 2014).  Attempted to upgrade to 7.1, the most recent version currently supported on the server, however this briefly crashed the site. All parts. If I can resolve that issue, second upgrade is coming.  This opens up options for the future to say the least, should have been caught ages ago, and leads to

[Forum]  SMF upgraded from 2.0.13 to 2.0.15.  Minor security updates as far as I know.  No new features.

[Chat]  FlashChat has been officially discontinued (last update was 8 years ago and it's not even downloadable anymore) and has been removed from the site.  Also most modern browsers are moving away from Flash as it's basically security hell and HTML5 does a pretty fine job of doing what Flash did, without the sketchy 3rd party plugin

[Chat, Menubar]  Wayoshi's Discord chat is hereby considered the official chat of the site; it functionally has been for over a year but after finally having time to drop in this morning and now fix the links tonight, it officially replaces FlashChat effective immediately and obviously retroactively.  Thank you!!

[Menubar] As the Facebook experiment never took off, the Facebook link on the menubar has finally been thankfully and mercifully removed.

Keep being awesome everyone!

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Re: Updates and Maintenance 6/1/2018
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Is it just me that sees the FAQ page as this and, if so, is it just related to the site updates and maintenance? This is in Chrome, but also looks the same in Edge: [sorry, not sure how to make this image smaller]
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 07:09:07 PM »
^The FAQ page is also messed up for me as well.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:12:43 PM »
I went directly to the Timeline section, and then Pricing Game Notes on the FAQ. Both Wiki pages are blank.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
Huh...it's doing it for me, too.  Checking the source (and the editor) reveals that all the content is still there, though -- it just won't display for some reason.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 07:20:35 PM »
I'm on Opera, and having the same FAQ-related issues myself.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 07:28:55 PM »
Incidentally, if anyone wants to look at the pages before this gets fixed, just replace "Main Page" in the address bar with the name of the page you want to look at (all 10 page titles are present as wikilinks in the source viewer).  You'll have to read them in the source viewer, but it's better than nothing.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:41:31 PM »
Periodic outages tonight as I try to repair the FAQ

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 12:31:59 AM »
In case anyone's worried, the entire FAQ is backed up.  The Pricing Games section might take me a little while to cobble back together because I've been horrendously bad about archiving it, but all the content does exist.

Offline TenPoundHammer

• In the Audience
  • Insert personal text here
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
The timeline gives me a blank page no matter what I do. I wonder if its sheer length is making the Wiki software choke? I know I had the same problem a while back with the WoF timeline and had to split it up into smaller pages.
"Do we learn from our mistakes? I surely hope not / Takes all the fun out of making them again" -- Folk duo Trout Fishing in America, from their song "Lightning"

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:07 PM »
Splitting the timeline up into individual sub-pages by season would be a rather good way to keep that from happening (I have a Nintendo 3DS and the sheer size of the page would make the browser give up on loading it, an issue shared with the browser on my desktop computer), regardless of whether it was/is the issue here.

It would also assist Mr. Gavazzi in editing and viewers in reading, as one very large page for every week of 46 seasons of a daily series is no doubt daunting for some. Splitting would also, potentially, allow for a timeline sub-page (or pages) on the 70s nighttime run.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:59:30 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TenPoundHammer

• In the Audience
  • Insert personal text here
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 02:31:24 AM »
So is there currently any way to view the timeline's content?
"Do we learn from our mistakes? I surely hope not / Takes all the fun out of making them again" -- Folk duo Trout Fishing in America, from their song "Lightning"

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 04:19:51 AM »
So is there currently any way to view the timeline's content?

You can view it on the Internet Archive, but it only goes up to January 2016 and may not include information about older episodes that have been discovered since then.
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
If the FAQ can't be repaired as it stands now, has any consideration been given to porting the info on it to another site (maybe an add-on to the TPIRStats site)?

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 10:16:15 PM »
Well, hopefully something will be done sooner rather than later with regards to the timeline. I do like the idea of splitting each season up into its own sub-page like a few people have suggested.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:18:20 PM by mellongraig »