Author Topic: What are some hidden tips and tricks contestants can use to win on Price?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I mentioned this in another thread, but since it's relative to this discussion I'll bring it up again...

That's Too Much!--Most of the fake prices are around $1000 higher than the previous one, but there will be one that is around $2000 higher--do NOT stop on this one, it's a trap. Instead, go one higher than the big gap and you'll win a good amount of the time.

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
What is the 4-5-6 rule, if I may ask?

Back in the early days of the Lucky $even a method was to guess 4 5 or 6, as they were the middle of the road numbers. One of the TPIR board games (Endless Games 2nd edition.) had TPIR trivia that accompanied the instructions for the pricing games. Some like Lucky $even mentioned trivia about the game and the method. Similarly 3 Strikes had trivia talking about the upgrades during the 4 digit and 5 digit cars era. (3 Strikes +, Deluxe Dice Game.)
Plinko is the worst game the show ever made.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Better to go something like $20,300 (haven't seen one dip past that point for some time, hence not my oft-suggested -251 for any other non-memorized showcase). Almost never is the ending anywhere from 000-250, and I can't emphasize that enough. Why cost yourself any chance at a DSW?

---

One of the more subtle rules I've seen recently is Bullseye's, where there's a repeating habit of 2-3-4-5-6 being the necessary number of a given product to hit the Bullseye outright. If you guess two for what you believe to be the 3 most expensive products, you're basically assured a win. The reason you choose to multiply the item by two, rather than six for the least expensive three? That runs a near certainty of an overage.

-Furthermore, games like Eazy, ME, etc. have had a crazy obsessive set of 1K/2K/3K (or consecutive thousands) in prizes. If you can reason out even a ballpark of what the other two cost, you can imply what the missing item's cost is.

-Setting the Magic # at $3,000. Since October 2014, this would have resulted in a total of one loss, in 27 playings (the exception was 1/28/16, which had a low prize of $3,378).

-Always guessing True for the 5 Price Tags SPs, since it's going to be 3T/1F. The exception is if the first three have been trues, then the last is assuredly false.

-Hot Seat: Notice where the seat has taken you. Are you taken to an SP you don't feel confident, yet there is 1+ SP you have strong confidence on and/or was more easily set up? Given the seat moves to random locations, this is to your benefit to likely continue on.

-Pay the Rent: The cheapest item can only go in the mailbox if there are multiple solutions. Furthermore, you know you have the correct item in the attic if upon reveal of the second floor, no two items would add to be less than the proposed attic prize, if mentally switched out. ...I'm working on a way to write the second of these remarks with much more clarity, but in games with limited solutions, it's an interesting phenomenon.

-Spelling Bee: If down to one card, worst case, blowing all SPs, the breakeven point for going for the car is $14,500, using 2/29 odds. Anything less and you actually should bail.

-Cover Up: Blow the first digit, unless you have the car ARP memorized, which could well be the case. Chances are only 38.1% that you blow the remaining four digits, by the blind monkey throwing darts. An extra chance is always welcomed.

Non-games:

-Note multiplication. A pair of something like motorcycles likely will end in something like -998. If it's an even number of prizes in one package, and they are the same item, any number multiplied by two will be even, by basic rules of math.

If you're willing to commit time to it, make a price list to memorize, of various trips (including their excursions, type of rooms, etc.), cars, anything and everything. Car options odd? They're on manufacturer pages with prices the show must use, save for Paint and Fabric Protectant (PFP), which you have to backwardize, given it is determined by a local dealer, but it's doable. To explain how to do so: A Jord Locus with Automatic Transmission (AT) and PFP is $15,632. Jord Locus with Manual Transmission but no PFP is $14,300. The maker's page says AT adds $1,000 to the car. Therefore a car with AT and no PFP is $15,300. Subtract that from the $15,632 you know the same car is for PFP, and you've got $332 PFP. This can also be done to remove car ARPs from showcases to discover various SC prize costs (such as trips) in isolation before they are in a game.

This is some pretty valuable information, thanks! Do you know how would one go about calculating the value of, say, a trip during a pricing game? What factors go into it (like length of trip, distance from Los Angeles, round trip, etc.)?

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
This is some pretty valuable information, thanks! Do you know how would one go about calculating the value of, say, a trip during a pricing game? What factors go into it (like length of trip, distance from Los Angeles, round trip, etc.)?

Well the biggest trick for trips is the "distance rule", where the further the distance from LA, the higher the price would be, and this would work only in games where multiple trips are offered. But 90% of the time, trips are offered either singularly or bunched together in a Showcase. Currently, airfare prices are down a bit, so I find that the price overall (especially for international flights) has come down compared to 5-10 years ago. Remember though that hotel rates are based on peak season, and typically, around $500 a night for three- or four-star hotel and around $1000/night if five star. All-inclusives are by far the most difficult though to price, as they can widely vary and have a number of extras that many contestants don't understand. The only trips that aren't round trip are in a few showcases (the "Around the World" type formats), where you shave about $2000 off or so. The rare "first class" airfare can occasionally happen, and generally speaking, add about $1000 if a short flight, $2000 if domestic but longer than two hours, and $5000 if overseas. Six nights is the standard length of a trip offered, but sometimes fewer and even rarer more days are built into the trip. Finally, if a trip is offered as a one-bid prize, don't bid less than $2000 if three nights and $2500 if four. But for games like Coming Or Going, you're better off just using the "Going" price. I'd say that the most difficult games for guessing the price of a trip are Freeze Frame (usually a 1 in 3, but sometimes with four or five possibilities) and Squeeze Play (especially if five digits). 
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
Unless they specify otherwise in the description, all trips are round trip coach for 2 people from Los Angeles.  Most seem to be either 5 or 6 nights. So as the last person pointed out, if you have a game to choose between multiple trips, the distance from LA to the destination can help you determine which price goes where.