Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Three  (Read 23185 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Three
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »
Did anyone beside's the show's writers think that "we the people" board was funny?   :-?

Yes, I did.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »
On the July 29th episode: Starting with the second half-hour last main game: I didn't agree with the Mystery 7 decision in that 14-6 situation. I think the trailing team should have had a chance to pick the next-to-last subject as usual. If it was the Mystery 7, they should have played for the trip. If it wasn't they should have forfeited gameplay and let the other team play for the trip.

One of the celebrities asked if the 14 seconds it took to get all 7 answers in the main game was a record. Strahan said "no". Now I'm wondering what the record actually is.

I also had a question about the main game subject on last names (SNL hosts). The singular was accepted (example: "comb" for "Combs"), but should it have been?

Concerning some of the Winner's Circle subjects: I'm not sure if either would have been accepted, but how about "a loud wooden floor" or "a noisy wooden floor" for "Things That Creak"? How about "Chubby Checker's hips" for "Things With a Twist? And, following from the contestant's clue, how about "The Working Seven Dwarves" for "Things That Whistle"?

I wouldn't have known right away what else to say if my teammate didn't get "Things You Scratch" after one clue: "an itch".

Nice $100K win the first half-hour. I thought that particular pyramid of subjects was fairly easy. I'm a bit old-school; I would have said "The Ralston-Purina Square" for "Things That Are Checkered". :)  (Remember that?) Another clue: "A criminal's past".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:13:09 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2018, 10:13:57 PM »
Tonight's first half was painful to watch. There was a combination of miscommunication from the clue-givers and the clue-receivers, and there were moments where you were shouting what would have been perfect clues at the TV. At least a $100,000 win at the end redeemed this half.

Now, onto the second half, which I saw in person on May 5, 2018.

Seeing the Pyramid set up close was really neat. It looks a bit smaller than it does on TV, but you really see how intricate it is-especially the trilons in motion. I was seated in the back of the left-hand side of the audience, below the hollowed-out trapezoid that the camera zooms into when coming back from commercial for the second half. The audience warm-up person kept us engaged, and he pointed out the staffers (notably game producer John Ricci, Jr.), and as it turns out, Miley Cyrus was a guest in the audience. I did not recognize her as we were being cattled into the studio, but it was neat to see her in person (my sister was a huge Hannah Montana fan in the previous decade).

The gameplay was pretty solid from the contestants in the front half, and I was amazed at how quickly 7 words were conveyed in one of the subjects (though, it was pretty easy when they refer to parts of the body, the clue-giver can use his/her body quite effectively in that subject). The Winner's Circle was painful-as soon as they got down to "Things You Scratch," I was hunched down in my chair, fingers crossed, and the entire audience let out a big "Awww" when they couldn't clear that last subject.

Things got more interesting in the second half. After it became apparent that a win for one team was impossible because of how far behind the winners they were, and the Mystery 7 was still up for grabs, Michael turned to the cameras and asked what to do next. This lead to a 20-minute stopdown, in which the producers and staffers went to the contestants and celebrities to discuss what to do. All the while, the audience warm-up asked us if this happened before. I raised my hand and said it did happen back in 1987 on The $25,000 Pyramid, referring to this moment below:

In this moment, the losing contestant is given the chance to find the Mystery 7. Thankfully, she does and wins the prize, but how awkward would it have been if she didn't find it? Before I could describe what happened, the audience warm-up stopped me mid-sentence as he did not want my commentary to affect the outcome of this game. In his words, "The rules may have changed." What was eventually decided was that the winning team would play for the Mystery 7, as a bonus. Thankfully, they won the trip.

As I was exiting the studio, I was next to the producers who were discussing this matter. One of them thought the rule was that if the Mystery 7 was still in play, the losing team would still have a chance to play for it (as shown in the clip above). However, they decided it would be better television to give the winning team the chance to win the Mystery 7 as a bonus for their better gameplay. I agree with their approach because of the awkward scenario that might happen if the losing team doesn't find the Mystery 7-they already lost the game, and it would add insult to injury if they could not find the Mystery 7, let alone win it.

I don't know when the first half of my taping session will air. But overall, it was a fun experience. I was the resident superfan in the audience, and I got to play a mock game with the audience warm-up in guessing Winner's Circle subjects. One I couldn't guess was "Things at The $100,000 Pyramid," as I couldn't think on a high level or where I was right at the time. I did leave with a book as a prize for my participation, I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara.

I hope the show gets renewed for a fourth season, and I want to try out for myself.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:24:47 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2018, 10:24:13 PM »
Beaver: "I'm the animal that builds a dam". "I am Theodore Cleaver's nickname".
Glass: Window, Cinderella's shoe, a prosthetic eye.
December: "I'm the month Christmas is in".
Checkered: A car race flag, someone's past, a tablecloth.
Halloween: "I'm the spooky holiday in October".

$124,500 was won tonight. I'm still baffled on how the tiebreaker works.
To give the winning team the chance to play the "Mystery 7", was the WRONG thing to do.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2018, 10:40:49 PM »
As I was exiting the studio, I was next to the producers who were discussing this matter. One of them thought the rule was that if the Mystery 7 was still in play, the losing team would still have a chance to play for it (as shown in the clip above). However, they decided it would be better television to give the winning team the chance to win the Mystery 7 as a bonus for their better gameplay. I agree with their approach because of the awkward scenario that might happen if the losing team doesn't find the Mystery 7-they already lost the game, and it would add insult to injury if they could not find the Mystery 7, let alone win it.
I know it's a matter of opinion, but "better television"??? :roll:   Remember, Bob Stewart, the creator of the game, was the executive producer in 1987. Shouldn't we follow his precedent?

Anyway, with a score of 14-6, and even with no chance of going to the Winner's Circle, I think the trailing team should have still had the chance to pick the next-to-last subject in hopes of uncovering the Mystery 7. If they did, they could play for the trip. If they won the trip (and I would hope they did), great. A sort-of consolation prize. If they didn't uncover it, the winning team should still have a chance to play for the trip.

I hope the show gets renewed for a fourth season, and I want to try out for myself.
I also considered trying out for next season, but I don't think I will. I read all of the conditions (especially concerning right to sue and editing/altering/modifying of submission materials). I have problems with them.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »
I know it's a matter of opinion, but "better television"??? :roll:   Remember, Bob Stewart, the creator of the game, was the executive producer in 1987. Shouldn't we follow his precedent?

Anyway, with a score of 14-6, and even with no chance of going to the Winner's Circle, I think the trailing team should have still had the chance to pick the next-to-last subject in hopes of uncovering the Mystery 7. If they did, they could play for the trip. If they won the trip (and I would hope they did), great. A sort-of consolation prize. If they didn't uncover it, the winning team should still have a chance to play for the trip.

I thought they would have known what to do based on precedent-even if we know the contestant cannot win, they could try for the Mystery 7 as a consolation prize to salvage the situation, but because this scenario is so rare in the show's history, they had to think and discuss things out in the manner they did. Maybe when they drafted up the rules for this version, they forgot to include a provision for this situation?

I wonder what happened as the producers were continuing to discuss the situation-maybe the contestant will be invited back to play again or they will give her the trip, if they felt that it wasn't fair to deny her the chance to find the Mystery 7?
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2018, 10:52:18 PM »
Beaver: "I'm the animal that builds a dam". "I am Theodore Cleaver's nickname".
Glass: Window, Cinderella's shoe, a prosthetic eye.
December: "I'm the month Christmas is in".
Checkered: A car race flag, someone's past, a tablecloth.
Halloween: "I'm the spooky holiday in October".

$124,500 was won tonight. I'm still baffled on how the tiebreaker works.
To give the winning team the chance to play the "Mystery 7", was the WRONG thing to do.

That "dam" clue was the first thing I thought of seeing the beaver subject. And may I suggest modifications: How about "Cinderella's slipper"? "A car race's finishing flag"? :) 

Moreover, I'm with you concerning the "Mystery 7".

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2018, 10:56:57 PM »
I thought they would have known what to do based on precedent-even if we know the contestant cannot win, they could try for the Mystery 7 as a consolation prize to salvage the situation, but because this scenario is so rare in the show's history, they had to think and discuss things out in the manner they did. Maybe when they drafted up the rules for this version, they forgot to include a provision for this situation?

I wonder what happened as the producers were continuing to discuss the situation-maybe the contestant will be invited back to play again or they will give her the trip, if they felt that it wasn't fair to deny her the chance to find the Mystery 7?

*nods* A decision had to be made, and I didn't know the actual precedent shown until seeing the video you embedded. I just thought it made more sense to me to give the trailing team the opportunity to at least pick first since 1) that follows the usual rule, and 2) it gives the chance for a major "consolation" prize.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:59:25 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2018, 11:00:42 PM »
I was thinking the losing team should have gotten a chance to play for the Mystery 7, although goldenroadfanatic gave a good explanation for just giving the winning team the chance to play it. Perhaps they could've let the losing team choose a subject and if it was the Mystery 7 they get to play it, but if it's not then the subject is ignored and the winning team plays the Mystery 7.

For Things Made of Glass, I would've said a window pane and a champagne flute along with a beer bottle.
Things You Scratch- An itch, a mosquito bite, chicken pox, a lottery ticket.
Jobs at a College- Professor, Academic Dean, Registrar, Athletic Director

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 12:32:13 AM »
Wanted to wish you good luck if you try out. You'd be an excellent player. :)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Another rationale for automatically giving the winners a chance at the Mystery 7: They already clearly won the game, so they are entitled to the bonus. The fairness of that is debatable, however.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »
If this release is accurate, the first half of the taping I attended in May will air as the second half of August 19's episode. Andy Richter and Ken Marino will be the celebrity guests.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2018, 10:13:07 PM »
On the August 5th episode: No big wins today. And "necklace" (the last word in the Mystery 7 category) was a trap. Nick Lachey fell right into it.

Now that we know that "A sandwich named Joe" (given by Strahan) is an apparently acceptable clue for "Things That Are Sloppy", we will probably never see that subject again. I wouldn't have tried giving that clue; I thought Jamie's clue of "a meatball sandwich" was excellent. (She was a very good player.) "A quick eater" perhaps?

And "an open chip bag" was fantastic for "Things You Clip". 

I threw in "the earth", along with "a pizza" and "a pie" for "Things with a Crust". "Pizza edge" was a better clue. How about "an evil plan" (with others) for "Things That are Hatched"? I took the basketball route with "Types of Shots" (lay-up, slam dunk, free throw), and "Queen Elizabeth" and "Elton John" were my clues for "Famous British People". Also, after "a haunted house" I couldn't think of any other "Scary Places".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:21:32 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2018, 10:23:13 PM »
Tom: Brokaw, Cruise, Hanks, Selleck
Crust: Pizza, A flaky pie, the Earth
Utensils: Spatula, tongs, slotted spoon, potato masher
B cities: Boston, Baltimore, Bismarck
Video games: Sonic, Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Space Invaders
British: Julie Andrews, Queen Elizabeth, Elton John
Soda: Pepsi, Coca Cola, Sprite, Fanta
Screen: Door, window, movie theater, tv

Only $41,000 was won tonight. Hopefully it will get better next time.
Clearly Vanessa never thought of Leonardo for "Da Vinci".
No "Mystery 7" wins tonight. But there is next time.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
On the August 12th episode: Again, no big wins. And if I remember correctly, Kathy Najimy has yet to make it to the Winner's Circle this season.

"Polyester" was an excellent clue for "Fabrics (Materials)", and I thought the contestant spent way too much time on that subject. I would have passed, probably gotten the $4000 and $5000 subjects pretty easily, and then returned to it. Those subjects, respectively, were: "Things with Holes" (I immediately thought of "swiss cheese", which would have paired nicely with her "a golf course") and "Types of Oil" (I threw "canola" in with her "olive" and "grapeseed".)

Hoping I wouldn't get buzzed, I would have said "What You Preach" for "Things You Practice". I also thought of "your piano skills". How about "a dirt road" and "a teenager's skin" for "Things That Are Bumpy"? And the contestant didn't have much time with it, but I came up with "an expertly built bookcase" for "Sturdy Things".

Yes, brain freeze from Tim Meadows on "What a Margarita Might Say". And one from the contestant, who started off with "Bin Laden" for "People Whose Last Name is Obama". "Things You Pick Up"? How about "the check" and "a dropped hundred dollar bill"? :)

What would you have come up with quickly for "Famous Songs"? The first one that came to my mind was "The Star-Spangled Banner". But what else to say? The pressure!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:08:36 PM by GameShowKid »