Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Three  (Read 22910 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Three
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:19:24 PM »
We're back for another season of one of my favorite game shows and a classic. I've just finished watching the season premiere and there aren't many changes compared to last year. The main game trilons are now rotated one at a time to reveal each subject and for some reason the Winner's Circle directions ("Give a list", "Don't use your hands", etc.) weren't broadcast, but these are minor differences.

Excellent and extremely high-energy gameplay to start off the new season. Perfect 21-21 first round and so close in the first Winner's Circle round. There was a nice $50K win in the second half of the first full game. 

In the second half-hour contestant Camille, a very good and intelligent player, tried for $50K and later $100K. She ended up with $12K total.

As for some of the subjects, it took me a little time to come up with "Copperfield" and "Brinkley" for "Famous Men Named David", but "Duchovny" was an excellent clue. I would have said "a dull pencil" right away for "Things You Sharpen", but not much time was spent on that anyway. "UPS (trucks)" was great for "Things That Are Brown"; I thought of "Michael Strahan's skin". "A peach" came to mind immediately for "Things That Have Pits"; I'm a bit surprised the contestant didn't say it (he didn't need to :) )

Good to see the show return; I hope to watch every episode this season.   
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:25:30 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Three
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:33:36 PM »
I would have also said Mr. Letterman for "Men named David". I also would have said a UPS uniform for "Brown". For "pull", I would have said a bad tooth. I never would have thought of underarms, because I thought underarm and pit were synonyms. Hopefully there will be a $100,000 win next week.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:37:59 PM »
I would have also said Mr. Letterman for "Men named David". I also would have said a UPS uniform for "Brown". For "pull", I would have said a bad tooth.
Those are some excellent clues.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »
For "Things You Pull" I would've said a muscle, a hamstring, an all-nighter in addition to hair.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »
For "Things You Pull" I would've said a muscle, a hamstring, an all-nighter in addition to hair.
Very nice. I especially like the all-nighter clue.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
Would 90210...hangout...Peach...Mine... work as clues for pit as well

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »
Would 90210...hangout...Peach...Mine... work as clues for pit as well
The subject was "Things That Have Pits"; one has to give a list of things that fit the subject. Clues like "90210" and "hangout" wouldn't be allowed. This is Pyramid, not the Alphabetics round from Password Plus. :)  (Hmmm... I don't even think one could get away with "90210" as a clue there either).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:58:56 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 12:01:08 AM »
(Hmmm... I don't even think one could get away with "90210" as a clue there either).

You can't. In Password, each number counts as a word. "Nine oh two one oh" would definitely be illegal.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 06:14:59 AM »
You can't. In Password, each number counts as a word. "Nine oh two one oh" would definitely be illegal.

The only exception to that would be if the subject is "Zip Codes," which has happened at least once before:

I attended a taping session on May 5th. I am not sure if the games I saw will be in the same hour or split between two different episodes. The second game had a gameplay first for the current era of Pyramid, and there was a stopdown to decide how to proceed. When the episode airs, I will share the details and give my thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:17:02 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 09:45:46 AM »
Well, technically you could get away with it if you left a distinct pause between each digit, but by that point you've spent so much time going off on a ridiculous tangent that you've already lost anyway.

("Peach... seed" would almost certainly be all you need for Password, anyway)

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 12:23:48 PM »
you could say Zazu but no one but a film buff knows who that is

Offline lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 06:45:05 AM »
I attended a taping session on May 5th. I am not sure if the games I saw will be in the same hour or split between two different episodes. The second game had a gameplay first for the current era of Pyramid, and there was a stopdown to decide how to proceed. When the episode airs, I will share the details and give my thoughts.

GoldenroadFanatic:
I also was in attendance for that taping - good fun but also fascinating!

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
Another "David" came to my mind the other night. Cassidy.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 10:00:13 PM »
It was awesome to see the first $150,000 win of the season. There was hesitation on the winning category, "Jazz Musicians" (or something similar), but Anthony Anderson, despite his lack of confidence, helped the contestant win. If only we can have someone max out their winnings by winning the cash plus the Mystery 7 trip...

We also had a gameplay first in the current era of Pyramid: Jennifer Lewis' team could not catch up to Anthony Anderson's team after their three rounds of play. They scored 9 after their three rounds to Anthony Anderson's team's 10, which was scored in two rounds, so Anthony's team won by default. Granted, it wasn't the best game when Jennifer's team got 2 on their first round, three on their second, and the ESP wasn't strong between the contestant and celebrity.

In the second half...

Is Ask Jeeves still a thing? Kevin James went to that instead of the correct answer of "Wikipedia" when his contestant partner described the "fake Google" site where you look up information.

I'm surprised "Things in a High School" was won with only "School." I suppose that's the essence of the category, but I would think the judges would wait for the key word/phrase before sounding the bell.

The last Winner's Circle was heartbreaking. The sixth subject, "Things That are Tough," was a trap; one would have to stay focused and say "Leather," "A wrestler," "Nails," or another suitable object and hope their partner says "Tough."
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »
For "Skunk", I thought of "My name is Pepe Le Pew, and I stink."
For "Spin", I had Wheel of Fortune, The Price Is Right wheel, and a top.
For "Jazz", I was thinking Ella Fitzgerald, and Harry Connick Jr.
And for "tough", I had shoe leather, a decision, and an overcooked steak.