Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Three  (Read 22912 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan - Season Three
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 10:29:59 PM »
Congratulations to Luigi. He came up with some very good clues under pressure, such as "rainforest" (excellent) , "dreidel", "Coltrane", and "Wakanda". :)

I'm surprised "Things in a High School" was won with only "School." I suppose that's the essence of the category, but I would think the judges would wait for the key word/phrase before sounding the bell.
If I was the judge, I wouldn't have accepted it. Why even include the word "high" in the subject if one is going to accept just "school"?

That 10-9 score was the lowest I've seen in this incarnation of Pyramid.

For "Skunk", I thought of "My name is Pepe Le Pew, and I stink."
For "Spin", I had Wheel of Fortune, The Price Is Right wheel, and a top.
For "Jazz", I was thinking Ella Fitzgerald, and Harry Connick Jr.
And for "tough", I had shoe leather, a decision, and an overcooked steak.
Those are some great clues.  My sister thought of "Sears kids jeans" for that last subject, hoping that the receiver would think of Toughskins. And I can clearly hear Dick Clark saying "HIS script", "HIS props", "HIS coach" etc. for "Things An Actor Uses".
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:35:40 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 01:05:17 AM »
That second winners circle in the Joy Behar/Kevin Smith episode was devastating.  I didn't think they wanted the $100,000 extra won because two of those categories were traps waiting to be sprung...BATHROOM was one trap, the other was the last one (TOUGH) due to the synonyms.  There were way too many synonyms for TOUGH.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 02:00:53 PM »
Is Ask Jeeves still a thing? Kevin James went to that instead of the correct answer of "Wikipedia" when his contestant partner described the "fake Google" site where you look up information.

That would be Kevin Smith, director of Clerks and Mallrats. Kevin James starred in King of Queens.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 10:10:38 PM »
On the June 24th episode: One $50K win (first half-hour) and one $100K win (second half-hour) tonight. I thought the subjects in the first win were particularly easy; "Things That Are Sweet" at the top? I thought of "wax" and "wrapping" for "Types of Paper". The judge(s) accepted Snoop's "Things on Paper" for that one, and I think the host influenced that decision. Hmmm... I'm shaking my head a little bit on that one.

I also came up with "skis" (along with other clues) for "Sports Equipment", and "toll" for "Types of Booths". (Kudos to the contestant for saying "phone" and "voting".) This was the same contestant who said "Lance Armstrong" for "Famous Astronauts" and couldn't think of any other clues. That probably cost her the $50K win.

There were a few other brain freezes during the hour, including "Beyonce" and "rabies". And I personally thought all of the Questlove related subject titles during the second main game were overkill.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:21:17 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 01:17:02 AM »
On the $100,000 attempt in the second half hour, I studied the middle tier carefully.  BOTH Things at a MAGIC SHOW and People at an AIRPORT were trap categories.  The wrong giver would easily fall for those traps.  TYPES of BOOTHS was also a killer too.  Besides PHONE, VOTING, and I heard TOLL from one of our own here, I thought KISSING for TYPES of BOOTHS. 

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 01:57:09 AM »
BOTH Things at a MAGIC SHOW and People at an AIRPORT were trap categories.  The wrong giver would easily fall for those traps.  TYPES of BOOTHS was also a killer too.  Besides PHONE, VOTING, and I heard TOLL from one of our own here, I thought KISSING for TYPES of BOOTHS. 
Yep, those take careful thought. I thought of “the wand” for that first subject, and “the baggage handlers” for the second.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 05:35:25 PM »
For Types Of Booths.... would... Powers.... get a zap

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 10:12:34 PM »
I would say yes. The subject is not “People named Booth”.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 10:55:56 PM »
Also, and I just looked this up, the actor’s last name was “Boothe” not “Booth”.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »
On the Stu's Show program today, apparently in one session eight times when contestants gave out clues, those had to be bleeped out. They say it is moving the direction of where Family Feud is going.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
On the Stu's Show program today, apparently in one session eight times when contestants gave out clues, those had to be bleeped out. They say it is moving the direction of where Family Feud is going.

Of course they would.  :roll:

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:11 AM »

I don't know how true it is they're moving to a, well, more raunchy direction.

That said, I think I've said here before that bleeping an answer was very rare on the original "Pyramid." Maxene Fabe's book "The Game Show Book" did state one known instance, where Sandy Duncan was bleeped for a clue she gave for "Things That Are Stiff." (Use your imagination.)

(Sandy, BTW, was also known to have been the lone clue giver to break the straps to hold your hands during the WC gameplay, so as to discourage/stop hand-gesturing.)

Brian

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »
I attended a taping session on May 5th. I am not sure if the games I saw will be in the same hour or split between two different episodes. The second game had a gameplay first for the current era of Pyramid, and there was a stopdown to decide how to proceed. When the episode airs, I will share the details and give my thoughts.

While browsing TV Guide's listings for the upcoming episodes, I learned that the second game I saw (the one with the historic moment) will air on July 29th, with Erin Foster and Sara Foster playing.

I can't wait to see how the final product appears on TV. I don't know when the first game I saw in my taping session will air.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
On the July 8th episode: Interesting thing happened this evening. During the first half-hour a team picked the Mystery 7 subject last and needed 5 points to tie, 6 to win the game, and 7 to win the trip. The same scoring situation occurred during the second half-hour. In both cases, the trip was won.

I had a problem with the very first Winner's Circle round, in which the $50K was won, but it became less of a problem for me upon rewatching. The judge(s) accepted "Things That Start with "B"" for "Sports That Start with "B", and I thought, "Why even include the word "Sports" if you are going to accept "Things"? I later saw that the celebrity player actually did say "Sports That Begin with B" after the ding of acceptance was heard. Still, I personally would not take "Things".

The second Winner's Circle round subjects (for $100K) proved more challenging. I thought of "the large audience", and "the tickets" for "Things at a Concert". I threw in "apples" and "tomatoes" for "Red Fruits (Foods)". I came up with "wedding" and "engagement" for "Types of Rings". "Things with Stripes" seemed a bit easier, but the team ran out of time.

I was surprised the male contestant in the second half-hour didn't say "electricity" or "static electricity" (Strahan's clue) for "Things That Shock You". He got stuck on unexpected events.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:20:06 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
I thought of promise and onion for ring. How would you phrase "5 golden rings" from "12 Days of Christmas"?