Poll

Other than Pat Sajak, who was the best daytime Wheel of Fortune host?

Chuck Woolery
34 (87.2%)
Rolf Benirschke
1 (2.6%)
Bob Goen
4 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Woolery, Benirschke or Goen?  (Read 6106 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Woolery, Benirschke or Goen?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
I always thought Alex Trebek's first ventures in game show hosting were High Rollers and the ill-fated but aptly named Pitfall.
Actually, Trebek's first American game show was "The Wizard of Odds" from 1973 (I emphasize American, since I can't remember if he did any Canadian-exclusive game shows before that).

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
Woolery, end of story. Period. Goen was pretty good, but like others have said, the cheap budget really didn't do daytime Wheel any favors after Pat's departure. Benirschke's biggest problem (other than the fact that he had a very short time to get the hang of things) was that Sajak is an incredibly tough act to follow.

Speaking of Trebek hosting in 1980, we'll probably never see that. NBC/Merv Griffin Enterprises reused the tapes. Repeatedly. Apparently they wiped the tapes into 1985.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 11:28:29 PM »
Speaking of Trebek hosting in 1980, we'll probably never see that. NBC/Merv Griffin Enterprises reused the tapes. Repeatedly. Apparently they wiped the tapes into 1985.
Though only the daytime tapes, since Game Show Network has shown the 1983-1985 nighttime episodes before.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
Whoops, yes, I forgot to mention that. The nighttime syndicated version is completely intact. It's only the daytime version that was one of the many game show victims of the Great Wipe.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »
^Alex Trebek did indeed fill in for Woolery for one week in 1980 (I've never been able to find any footage of that, though).

He also hosted an April Fools' episode in 1997 with Pat and Vanna as the contestants and Lesly Brown, Pat's wife, as the co-host.