Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 6/13/2018  (Read 13718 times)

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 6/13/2018
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »
Well, there would still be the matter of guessing the last digit.

To me, the last digit would be easier to guess than any of the middle 3.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »
To me, the last digit would be easier to guess than any of the middle 3.

Considering the fact that 5 or 0 hardly ever appear as the final digit of ANY car price nowadays, your point is correct.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 06:01:47 PM »
If the game were being set up properly, which it isn't, the second digit wouldn't be a total f***ing crapshoot.

Good for you Drew. Now can you get rid of Hot Seat? :lol:
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 12:40:38 AM »
The contestant selected the elliptical, the price was revealed and losing horns played while the audience cheered and the contestant celebrated...After a long stop down, it was decided to of course give her the prizes, reshoot the reveal and simply not show the price of the laptop - probably around $1,400.

It's fair to say that this way prevents the average viewer from realizing that anything went wrong - but is that really the best choice? They've gotten some viral traction in the past for things that haven't gone perfectly. And they weren't going to be able to hide it from us anyway.

I would have just been open and joked around about it. "Well, guess you would have won no matter what you picked" or something like that.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 05:06:28 AM »
I’d have liked to see that as well. Could have been a fun moment. Maybe they decided the reveal that they had taped was too confusing/awkward to air. JT would have a better take on things, I’m sure.

The show’s other viral moments have been pretty easy to explain.  “Announcer on treadmill falls on face while reading prize copy.” “$80,000 awarded after every player hits same bonus space on wheel.”

The Manuela situation in particular got some pretty stupid, sensationalist media coverage. “PRICE IS RIGHT MODEL MAKES $21,000 MISTAKE! WILL SHE BE FIRED?” Easy clickbait, no need for any explanation, anybody could see what happened from the clip.

In the show’s defense I can’t see the Shopping Spree situation making those soundbytes—“Producer makes addition mistake, costs show elliptical trainer and shoes” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

But I still would have liked to see it. Editing booth can be comforting, but it can also be a crutch. Living in the moment has always been something the current staff could stand to improve on.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 07:59:59 AM »
I don't get the point of having a target price in Shopping Spree at all, because the object of the game is always simply to pick the three most expensive prizes and avoid the cheapest. It doesn't matter what they cost individually or collectively.

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
I wonder if Stack the deck could be retired do to Drew’s coments

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
I don't get the point of having a target price in Shopping Spree at all, because the object of the game is always simply to pick the three most expensive prizes and avoid the cheapest. It doesn't matter what they cost individually or collectively.

The target price tells the contestants how much they need to spend. It makes the game slightly more interesting than just telling the contestant to pick the three most expensive prizes.