Author Topic: What games are next to get the LCD treatment?  (Read 9734 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
What games are next to get the LCD treatment?
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
With the redo of Bullseye still fresh in our minds, what game or games do you see as being next in line for an LCD upgrade? I could definitely see a game like Make Your Move getting that treatment with colored touch-sliders ala Double Cross.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
Re: What games are next to get the LCD treatment?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »
Check-Out. That display looks rough.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:36:47 PM »
Even though it’s one digit and inconsequential, probably Line em Up. Another one could be Spelling Bee.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 03:30:12 PM »
It would be interesting if they gave Now or Then some LCD treatment, like including monitors that show a clip of the Then products from when they were used in the episode that the price came from and having Drew touch the price to reveal Now or Then rather than the flip reveal.

Offline IncoG5nito

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »
I like that idea for Now or Then.

Race Game and Side By Side would be my personal choices.

Hurdles should be revived with one and an animated hurdler.
IncoG5nito
Formerly of the "Game Show Fiesta"

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:45:22 PM »
I would love to see Dice Game get that treatment.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
I think a game like Take Two would do well with LCDs/touch screens. Same goes for Danger Price. Maybe even something like Eazy would be nice with screens.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline FDRfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:18:06 PM »
What about Finish Line?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 03:22:02 AM »
Call me old-fashioned, but I dislike the LCDs/touch screens. I get that the show has to do touch-ups for HD, but I admit I hate seeing old tech get thrown out.

Sure, LCD screens are versatile and "modern", but we see them every day. Touchscreens and LCDs are part of the everyday order of things, so seeing them on TV isn't really very exciting. Their purpose is to display numbers look pretty, and they accomplish that, but they don't really occupy a unique space in your mind.

Eggcrate displays have a kind of simple magic to them. They're not something you see in your everyday life. They're something you ONLY see at larger-than-life events, like the scoreboard at sporting events or on TV game shows.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 10:49:36 PM »
By and large you don't see them on game shows now, and the current and future audiences aren't going to equate old tech with magic, simple or otherwise. And, honestly, game shows aren't larger than life events for viewers. They're TV shows--that's not bad, but they're just one type of program amidst a multitude.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 12:45:15 AM »
Call me old-fashioned, but I dislike the LCDs/touch screens. I get that the show has to do touch-ups for HD, but I admit I hate seeing old tech get thrown out.

Sure, LCD screens are versatile and "modern", but we see them every day. Touchscreens and LCDs are part of the everyday order of things, so seeing them on TV isn't really very exciting. Their purpose is to display numbers look pretty, and they accomplish that, but they don't really occupy a unique space in your mind.

Eggcrate displays have a kind of simple magic to them. They're not something you see in your everyday life. They're something you ONLY see at larger-than-life events, like the scoreboard at sporting events or on TV game shows.

Yes, I agree. Sure, LCD is nice, and it does look snazzy on screen, but, in my mind, eggcrate = game shows. Think of Press Your Luck. Or Family Feud. How about Match Game? And, of course, The Price is Right. Now I know I left out a lot of shows in the list, and please forgive me for doing so, but my point is, what do these shows have in common, among other things? They all feature eggcrate scoring. The game show world took off in the 1970s. Eggcrate design was simply a part of game shows. Yeah, you didn't see it on every show, but a lot of them.

By the way, personally, I prefer the old Bullseye look. It had that "retro" feel, since it wasn't updated much since it first premiered. Just saying.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:49:23 AM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 11:23:41 AM »
Much as I deem myself "old school", I don't have problems with the touch screens or updating technology for many of the pricing games, but Easy as 1 2 3, gotta keep those blocks.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
Much as I deem myself "old school", I don't have problems with the touch screens or updating technology for many of the pricing games, but Easy as 1 2 3, gotta keep those blocks.

I wasn't talking about the blocks, I was talking about the displays

Offline digiblader

• Outside in Line
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »
Pathfinder. The displays, used since Add 'Em Up are nearly worn out after 30+ years of usage, and need refurbishment.

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 04:55:37 PM »
NUMBER ONE on my list for updating is Secret X: I think a more high-tech board can be devised with LCD monitors for the squares - including cool graphics when someone wins.  That reveal with the panel turning is awful.

Freeze Frame: VERY dated.  And, more importantly, the manual crank is a waste of time. (Reminds me of the old ferris wheel contraption on Pick a Pair" - frustrating to watch)  Although I'm not sure why they made the Pick a Pair game so physical large. 

But getting back to Freeze Frame - this can be made into a much shorter game.  The whole square can be a touch screen where the contestant merely moves it with their finger, and when it stops on the desired price, they push a button that takes a "picture" of the price in the frame.  The reveal needs to be improved as well.  That little flip reveal is dated as well.  The theme of the game being camera photography is a cool one.  A lot can be done graphically to really make an otherwise boring game at least visually appealing.

Lucky Seven:  anything with a mechanical door mechanism seems dated.  There can also be a side display that informs the contestant how many dollars they have left.

Squeeze Play:  There can easily be a way to have the numbers "squeeze" together in a much cooler visual manner.  And, again, the door panel reveal looks very dated.  A much cooler reveal can be devised.

Range Game - or anything similar that still relies on a human being to turn a crank behind the game board should be updated.

Younger viewers live in an LCD world.  And younger viewers are potential future viewers.  As much as long time viewers are anti-change, it still needs to happen. 

The secret is to have these changes occur very gradually, lest they risk alienating long time viewers.