Author Topic: What games are next to get the LCD treatment?  (Read 9736 times)

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: What games are next to get the LCD treatment?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
LCDs where it makes it seem like they could manipulate a win/loss on the spot (like what they did with Bonus Game; it is certain that S&P would not tolerate them changing where the Bonus is on the spot, but there was no possibility of that at all with the old displays) are not great.  The Secret X board would be another example of where they could theoretically manipulate it but the manual reveal would not allow it. Same for Lucky $even, Range Game, 3 Strikes, Pathfinder, etc. that have the winning numbers/prices already in place to light up.  Something about Temptation using that screen doesn't feel right, even though I know they wouldn't be allowed to change the answer in that game.  One like Secret X or Bonus Game would be even worse to do it with.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
By and large you don't see them on game shows now, and the current and future audiences aren't going to equate old tech with magic, simple or otherwise. And, honestly, game shows aren't larger than life events for viewers. They're TV shows--that's not bad, but they're just one type of program amidst a multitude.

Sure, I get why they're getting phased out--it's tricky to maintain lightbulbs, LCD screens are easier to maintain and troubleshoot, etc.

But as a design element, they helped establish a unique identity. TPiR doesn't look like the nightly news, or a cooking show, or the View.

And they were a strong design element, too. Eggcrates:
  • provided clean graphics (black background, white text is a strong contrast)
  • were to read on camera--sometimes saturated colors like the Pay the Rent price reveals blend in with the set a little *too* much IMO
  • linked many games together with a consistent design element, sort of like sections of a magazine using the same font
  • the dot matrix looked authoritative, like the Times Square news tickers. (And I'll probably moan when those inevitably get replaced by new tech too)

As for the list of "fixes" for the games proposed on the last page, y'all already know how I feel about LCD screens in general, but I just want to focus on one thing:

NUMBER ONE on my list for updating is Secret X: I think a more high-tech board can be devised with LCD monitors for the squares - including cool graphics when someone wins.  That reveal with the panel turning is awful.

Physical props establish credibility. You could play Deal or No Deal with 26 screens inside the cases instead of physical props... but how are you able to prove that the same amount was in the same case the whole time? You have to take the producer's word for it.

Physical props like the Lucky Seven doors, the Shell Game ball, actually seeing the rats cross the finish line in Rat Race, a physical secret "X", etc. are small reassurances that the producers can't change anything once the game begins. (Sure, you and I know that they legally can't do that, but your ordinary Joe the Viewer doesn't.)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 06:35:52 PM »
I guess I should have addressed the issue of perceived manipulation, although, as I’ve observed these shows are highly regulated by Standards & Practices.  I doubt Price would risk it all just to manipulate a win or loss.

As far as what the average joe sees, there already exist plenty of games (both old and new versions)that have reveals that could be altered to effect outcome. Card Game is one that comes to mind.  What kind of effect that has on viewers’ faith in the honesty factor, who knows? 

On a humorous note, when I was a young kid and watched w my grandparents, my grandpa would tell me there was a “little person”  inside the wheel running like a hamster making it go faster or slower. He even had me believing that person also made the beeping sounds.  Being a little kid, i believed him.  Lol  Of course, this would bother my grandma no end - as she loved the show- and a fight would invariably ensue.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 08:31:11 PM »
As far as what the average joe sees, there already exist plenty of games (both old and new versions)that have reveals that could be altered to effect outcome. Card Game is one that comes to mind.  What kind of effect that has on viewers’ faith in the honesty factor, who knows? 

Sure--that's existed from day 1 with Any Number. But there's roughly two games with "hard reveals" for every one where a right answer is simply a ding or a graphic lighting up. When you know 2/3 of the games are indisputably honest, it's easier to exercise your faith in the other 1/3.

And of those 1/3 games, quite a few of them have a mix of hard and soft reveals. The GP portion of Pass the Buck, for example, doesn't have any "hard reveal", but the reveal of the prizes behind the numbers does. And regular viewers can verify the prices--they said the Gold Bond was $9.99, and look, it showed up again in Grocery Game a week later and it's still $9.99.

And you especially have to be careful with luck-based games. If we're going with the example of Secret X, the the reveal at the end is very important. Everything in the game builds up to the reveal at the end. Unlike, say, Any Number or Card Game, the answer is totally arbitrary and at the whims of the producer.

It's a slight difference, yes, and one reveal isn't going to make or break it, but it is something to watch out for IMO.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 09:53:04 AM »
I do find the notion of more screens in lieu of physical props opening the door to malfeasance to be quite a stretch with no evidentiary support. Just because it’s physically possible doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

Aesthetically, this is the world today’s audience lives in when it comes to TV.  The world continues to move to a more screen-based one, and TV shows need to be mindful of that.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »
I expect when other games get a refresh, then LCD video might be integrated. They've done a tremendous job of hiding new tech in old set pieces. "3 Strikes" would be an easy mark for an LCD/Plasma update.

Of course, some games require too much physical interaction to make digitizing the game worth the effort.

However, the cost of all this technology is expensive. Not just the monitors used but the computer programming involved (that would adhere to S&P regulations). At the same time, the older tech (eggcrates and their associated gear) are getting more expensive to maintain.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »
I do find the notion of more screens in lieu of physical props opening the door to malfeasance to be quite a stretch with no evidentiary support. Just because it’s physically possible doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

I don't think anybody in this thread is saying that the show would use monitors to illegally change the outcome of the game. They're saying that to the casual viewer, who doesn't know that there are strict regulations regarding the manipulation of game shows, the use of monitors could create the appearance of potential impropriety. When the entire outcome of the game depends on the computer animation on the Bonus Game monitor (or, for equal time, the digital readout in Dice Game), a skeptical or conspiracy-minded person will naturally be suspicious. Especially when there's a loss.

Such skepticism won't have any public effect, but if too much of the audience thinks a show isn't on the up-and-up, then they won't watch it. Has that happened? No. Will it happen? Probably not. But it's still something to at least consider.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »
I don't think anybody in this thread is saying that the show would use monitors to illegally change the outcome of the game. They're saying that to the casual viewer, who doesn't know that there are strict regulations regarding the manipulation of game shows, the use of monitors could create the appearance of potential impropriety. When the entire outcome of the game depends on the computer animation on the Bonus Game monitor (or, for equal time, the digital readout in Dice Game), a skeptical or conspiracy-minded person will naturally be suspicious. Especially when there's a loss.

And that's the thing that blows that whole argument out of the water--the show has been using digital readouts for reveals throughout the entirety of its run. Here's a list of all of the pricing games during Barker's tenure that, to the best of my knowledge, used readouts for such purposes:

Any Number, Balance Game (II), Dice Game, Make Your Move, Pass the Buck, Spelling Bee

If the show wanted to pull something sneaky, they could have done so in Season 1 just as easily as they can today with the LCD panels. But they won't. And even if the games didn't use LCDs, there will still be those who believe the games are rigged anyway. How the props are built won't change their minds.

Offline Sizeman

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 01:06:18 AM »
As for the list of "fixes" for the games proposed on the last page
Have to mention this phrase: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 01:56:05 AM »
Have to mention this phrase: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Somebody needs to tattoo this on Mike Richards' forehead.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 03:38:06 AM »
...except one could also argue that many of the changes he's made have kept the show fresh and updated and it's still doing well after 10 years, and that the previous director made changes that didn't nessecarily need to be done.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
When thinking about the psychology of the reveal, I think that from the viewer's standpoint it's important to think about the type of game/reveal.  If you're revealing the price of an item digitally, a viewer is likely to be less suspicious of game manipulation by the producers than if you're revealing the location of a bonus, or an X.  In the viewer's mind, a price is established, but a location is determined by the person running the game.  That's why the screens bother me in Bonus Game.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »
Somebody needs to tattoo this on Mike Richards' forehead.

:roll:

Again, if Mike was really that bad at his job, he would still not be with the show, and the show itself would not be running 10+ years after Roger's departure. Try again.

It should also be mentioned that a lot of the changes brought up in this thread aren't necessarily changes for changes sake--a lot of the older props look(ed) downright pitiful in HD, especially Bonus Game. If they're going to take the time to refurbish and/or rebuild the props, they're going to consider making it more cost-efficient and future-proof, and a lot of time that will include using LCDs.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »
My vote would be Grocery Game, since about all cash registers are now equipped with electronic readouts. I'd envision green numbers for a win, and red for a loss.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
:roll:

Again, if Mike was really that bad at his job, he would still not be with the show, and the show itself would not be running 10+ years after Roger's departure. Try again.

It should also be mentioned that a lot of the changes brought up in this thread aren't necessarily changes for changes sake--a lot of the older props look(ed) downright pitiful in HD, especially Bonus Game. If they're going to take the time to refurbish and/or rebuild the props, they're going to consider making it more cost-efficient and future-proof, and a lot of time that will include using LCDs.

Agreed. I realize it’s a figure of speech, but “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it” is a terrible mantra. Technology evolves at an ever more rapid pace, and while “throwbacks” when used judiciously can offer balance and charm, by and large one needs to keep pace. Yes, there are cases where change doesn’t work out as planned. That’s life. But they stand out precisely because they’re more exception than rule.

Price has done, frankly, a very good job of gradually integrating new tech into the classic framework. That gives me confidence that whatever comes next has a good chance of being just as well done.