Author Topic: What games are next to get the LCD treatment?  (Read 9739 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: What games are next to get the LCD treatment?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »
My vote would be Grocery Game, since about all cash registers are now equipped with electronic readouts. I'd envision green numbers for a win, and red for a loss.
While something like this could eventually happen and they could possibly ditch the old-fashioned cash register altogether one day, Grocery Game is the one game that I would definitely like to see stay the way it is until change is necessitated. The cash register and the total and Win/Loss display just has a classic look and feel that fits the game very well and it's one of the few games that I would be disappointed by it getting an update to be more modern.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 04:19:47 PM »
When thinking about the psychology of the reveal, I think that from the viewer's standpoint it's important to think about the type of game/reveal.  If you're revealing the price of an item digitally, a viewer is likely to be less suspicious of game manipulation by the producers than if you're revealing the location of a bonus, or an X.  In the viewer's mind, a price is established, but a location is determined by the person running the game.  That's why the screens bother me in Bonus Game.
I agree with you in general, and in particular I'm glad I'm not the only one with the same thought concerning Bonus Game. That display change, along with the loss of the classic turntable spin shot, took Bonus Game off of my list of favorite games. Though I'm not suggesting any manipulation, the reveal of the "Bonus" just doesn't feel the same with the current display.

I would have no problem at all with an LCD update of the price digits in 3 Strikes. If done, I hope those in charge would keep the digit font the same, as was done with the one-bid readouts.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »
My vote would be Grocery Game, since about all cash registers are now equipped with electronic readouts. I'd envision green numbers for a win, and red for a loss.
Definitely Teddy, Grocery Game is way overdue for a set update to include LCD. My other choices for season 47 are Lucky Seven, Pass the Buck, Race Game and 3 Strikes. I would not be surprised if Gorcery Game and any of the other four games get LCD set updates in the upcoming season.
Jay Williams

Offline masoudfun1996

• In the Audience
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
For what it's worth, I think Credit Card should be revived with a complete redesign that involves a new ATM-like prop similar to the one pictured below:

As for the card itself, I think it should get a new design that might either look like or be similar to the following:

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
That looks like a pretty good reimagining! What do you think the price reveals would look like?

Quoting removed by Steve.  Please do not duplicate large images unless there's a really good reason.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:54:44 PM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »
You do realize the prop had nothing to do with why Credit Card was retired, right?

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
Maybe Magic #.

Offline drwhovill

• In the Audience
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
I don't think this really counts, but, what about Punch a Bunch. Press the paper holes that they want. Then, in the screen will show which order the spots were picked. Drew touches the screen again and the dollar amount will be displayed.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »
I’m gonna skip the “paper slips are good” spiel; why do you believe touchscreens would  improve Punch-A-Bunch?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 10:47:19 PM »
I don't think this really counts, but, what about Punch a Bunch. Press the paper holes that they want. Then, in the screen will show which order the spots were picked. Drew touches the screen again and the dollar amount will be displayed.

So, Press-A-Bunch?  Nah.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »
Aside from being too manipulative (I don't think it would happen, but you never know) it's more fun to watch someone slamming his fist through flimsy paper instead of pressing a touchscreen. You get to watch Drew dig the paper out of the hole and then watch Drew (or Bob before him) prolong the contestant's agony. You can't do that with an LCD.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2018, 11:36:48 AM »

I could see Grocery Game getting overhauled entirely, using a self-checkout theme, even though it'd take away that retro feel to it.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »
With the redo of Bullseye still fresh in our minds, what game or games do you see as being next in line for an LCD upgrade? I could definitely see a game like Make Your Move getting that treatment with colored touch-sliders ala Double Cross.

Sorry if I'm a bit late to the party but I checked out the debut of the new Bulls-Eye look...and seriously...dance lessons/meals/rides for a year? :P

Offline superballfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2018, 09:28:25 PM »
I would like to see Easy as 123 go with LCD. Get rid of the plunger because sometimes the reveal card gets stuck.  Also maybe Grand Game. Slide the price to the right. No more flipping with Drew`s big hand. Too quick and too hard would result in another price being revealed.