Author Topic: Cover Story: All Access Pass- The Price is Right this Sunday on GSN  (Read 3457 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
This Sunday at 7pm et Game Show Network will air Cover Story: All Access Pass- The Price is Right which will include a behind-the-scenes look at the prize warehouse. 1007593570906370048[/tweet]][/url]

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Cover Story: All Access Pass- The Price is Right this Sunday on GSN
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 10:58:40 PM »
Did anybody else get a chance to catch this? Although I didn't particularly learn anything new, I thought it was an inoffensive way to spend an hour.

Some random notes in no particular order:
  • Quite a bit revolved around the setup and taping for 8381K, which was taped in late March but only aired last Monday so this was interesting timing. They had to make sure the episode aired before this show and there's always preemptions to mess things up.
  • The two contestants who made it to the Showcase during that episode - Joan and Brooklyn - were prominently featured. When Joan made it up on stage the show claimed that Brooklyn was still in the audience, but that wasn't true. I'm not sure why it made sense to switch everything around.
  • There were no "Showcase Showdown" term misuses - which is one of the main things I look for to see if I should take something seriously. It seemed at one point like Joan was going to say it, but they cut her off at "Showcase"!
  • The show claimed that the $2,500 earned during Plinko during the episode was "the contestant scoring a win".
  • There was also some directors booth footage of Hot Seat - presumably from 8382K.
  • When Stan reviews his casting choices with the producers, they are looking at pictures of the potential contestants. At the meeting for this taping, he came in with 9 contestants and 4 backups.
  • Mike studied the show for 2 months to prepare for his host audition and had 60 pages of notes, so when he was hired as the producer he already had the playbook for the first year or two.
  • George rides a motorcycle into work and Drew has a very colorful Mini Cooper. 695510290721611776[/tweet]]Here's[/url] a picture of it.
[li]When Drew talked about how he got the hosting job, he did not mention Power of 10 or that he demanded that he not audition.[/li]
[li]The show boasted that TPIR buys most of their prizes to allow producers to pick the "coolest and most unique items on the market".[/li]
[li]Eric Mills, supervising prize producer, claims that Millennials want experiences more than "stuff".[/li]
[li]There was footage of the prize warehouse, but that's not where they store the pricing games so there wasn't anything all that interesting that I could see.[/li]
[li]Bob appeared in still images but there were no clips of him.[/li]
[li]Roger and his contributions to the success of the show were not mentioned.[/li]
[/list]
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Anyone know if/when it will rerun?

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »
I'll echo what Flerbert419 said.  It was a broad look at a "day in the life", with a heavy emphasis on what goes into producing an episode of Price is Right.  It was very much a fluff piece about the show, but it was still very interesting and enjoyable. 

Quote from: Flerbert419
There were no "Showcase Showdown" term misuses - which is one of the main things I look for to see if I should take something seriously. It seemed at one point like Joan was going to say it, but they cut her off at "Showcase"!
I caught that, and I suspect she actually DID say "Showcase Showdown", but they edited a "ding" in as they cut her off. 
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:33:04 PM »
If only this puff piece could lead to some form of Price reruns on GSN/Buzzr...
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 10:53:10 PM »
I thought it was an enjoyable special. I found it pretty odd that Drew didn't mention Power of 10 and he made it sound like he was basically randomly called and asked to be the new host.

Has there been more posted on here before about how Mike became the executive producer? It's pretty amazing that one year he's auditioning to host and the next year he becomes executive producer. To add to Flerbert's notes he also discussed his vision for updating the show's look to modernize it and make it more appealing for the younger audience, saying that he had set pieces updated gradually rather than all at once so it would not be a total shock for regular viewers and turn off the long-time fans.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 05:29:41 AM »
The full episode has been uploaded

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,28772.msg459351/topicseen.html#msg459351

Just saw it through earlier, and I think that one of the best parts is that Drew wants to share the glory with everyone else by being simply the host instead of the star (IOW, he's one part of the whole; he, George, models, contestants, etc., are all part of what TPIR is).

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner