Author Topic: You’re Top 10 Favorite Game Shows (Except Price)  (Read 3277 times)

Online tpirsuperfan99

• In the Audience
You’re Top 10 Favorite Game Shows (Except Price)
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:03:47 PM »
I have seen quite a few game shows. There are a lot of good ones, but it is hard to choose just 10 game shows out of hundreds. Here is a list of my top 10 game shows.
What are your Top 10 Game Shows

10. Let’s Make a Deal
9. Supermarket Sweep
8. Pyramid
7. Press Your Luck
6. Password (All Versions)
5. Card Sharks
4. Wheel of Fortune
3. $ale of the Century
2. Match Game
1. Family Feud

Honorable mentions that just missed the list include Tattletales, Now You See It, Jeopardy!, and Blockbusters.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Re: You’re Top 10 Favorite Game Shows (Except Price)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:16:40 PM »
10. Match Game
9. Card Sharks
8. Shop til' You Drop
7. Let's Make a Deal
6. Pyramid
5. Super Password
4. Sale of the Century
3. Supermarket Sweep
2. Wheel of Fortune
1. Jeopardy!
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
1. Jeopardy!
2. Wheel of Fortune
3. Card Sharks
4. Pyramid
5. $ale of the Century
6. Password
7. Family Feud
8. Press Your Luck
9. Nick Arcade
10. Family Game Night (first two seasons)

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:58:33 PM »
10. Sale of the Century
9. Name That Tune
8. Tic Tac Dough
7. The Joker's Wild
6. Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
5. Jackpot
4. Match Game
3. Family Feud
2. Double Dare
1. Wheel of Fortune.
Honorable Mentions: Face the Music, Deal or No Deal, Bullseye, Headline Chasers, Weakest Link, Beat The Clock, Sports Jeopardy!, Supermarket Sweep, and Super Password.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:15:30 PM »
Price would be #1 otherwise.  But I'd have to say: 

10. Bumper Stumpers
9. Classic Concentration
8. Card Sharks
7. High Rollers (Martindale version preferred) 
6. Wipeout (Tomarken) 
5. Sale of the Century
4. Jeopardy (!)
3. Tic-Tac-Dough (Martindale version, of course) 
2. Wheel of Fortune
1. Press Your Luck 

If I had to expand it to a top 25, the remainder would be: 

25. Whew! 
24. Who Wants to be a Millionaire (?)
23. Hollywood Squares
22. Crosswits (Sparks) 
21. Match Game
20. Super Password
19. Win Ben Stein's Money
18. Name That Tune
17. Family Feud
16. Supermarket Sweep 
15. Blockbusters (Rafferty version gets slight edge) 
14. Joker's Wild (Barry version) 
13. Caesar's Challenge 
12. $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid
11. Scrabble   

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
Top 10, plus why they made my list:

10) Hollywood Squares

Who doesn't like seeing stars cracking wise? Easy, but with just enough strategy involved to get you thinking. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the Bergeron run even over the Marshall run. Easily one of the best modern(ish) revivals. You can tell everybody involved is having a blast.

9) Concentration

One of the best shows to play along with. It's a smart show that anyone can play, although it requires, well, concentration. Those excruciating rebuses was often much harder than they needed to be, but very satisfying to crack. The creative prizes (everything from "banana peel" to "swimming pool") were fun too--you never knew what they'd turn over next.

8 ) The Mole

Some would exclude this and call it "reality", but think of it as a a studioless long-form game show. It's still contestants competing against each other in a game of skill for a cash prize. And with The Mole, there's never a moment where you can say "THIS part is game, but THIS part is reality kerfuffle." Truth is, even those "reality" elements all part of the metagame. Your task as a viewer is to figure out when you're being misled.

Awesome music, awesome production values, and an awesome concept. It sucks you in and demands that viewers bounce a few conspiracy theories around to make sense of it all. I have to give a show like this high marks.

7) Press Your Luck

Light on "game", but among the very best when it comes to "show". I'd love to take a spin that giant, colorful board. The Whammies were iconic, Tomarken could whip the contestants into a frenzy, and it always felt like ANYTHING could happen.

6) Password

It hasn't aged as well as some other games on the list, but it's simple and brilliant. Communication is universal. It demands you play along and inwardly compare your words to the contestant. Watching TV shouldn't make you think this much, but Password pulled it off.

5) Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?

Surprised only one other person has named this. It's influenced nearly every show that's come out since 1999, yet it still holds up as one of the best shows from that era. The questions were great, Regis was an incredible host, and it produced more unforgettable, tense moments in its first two seasons than many shows produce in their entire runs. It's experimented with different hosts and formats over the years, but at its core it's always just been a great Q&A game.

4) Family Feud

I'm convinced that Family Feud is a perfect format. Of all the shows on this list, it's the hardest to screw up. The show's endured Richard Karn, "celebrity firefighter ex-wives" specials, "dick joke of the day" questions-- but even on a bad day, Family Feud's survey format is brilliant and can get people yelling answers at their TV.

3) Pyramid

Most of what I love about Password can be repeated here, but I find Pyramid is just a smidge more fun to watch. Winners' Circle was, and is, amazing television. It rewards creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. And it lets you see what celebrities are really like when they're forced in a quick-thinking, high-pressure environment.

2) Sale of the Century

A few days ago someone compared Sale to a serial that built on itself day by day, and I agree. I love everything about it--the format, the prizes, the crazy sketches--it's a brilliant concept executed perfectly.

Sale is ALWAYS building drama towards something or another, whether it's the end of a question, the end of a speed round, or the massive jackpot. Jim Perry was a pro who could make any contestant likable, and go from question master to manic salesman and back in a heartbeat. The show's format often kept games close and exciting, and the insane prizes up for grabs made the show really stand out. Love everything about it and it's the show I'd most love to see rebooted properly.

1) Jeopardy!

Pure Q&A. No show has better writing than Jeopardy. It knows exactly what it wants to be, and it hones in on it in its simplest form, with just enough trappings to keep it varied.

A lot of other shows put emphasis on the prizes or the contestants, but Jeopardy is first and foremost a showcase for the material. On Jeopardy, the questions (er, answers) are the star. It does the best job of making the viewer feel like you're THERE, answering questions about literature and capitals and word puzzles along with the contestants. It's immersive, satisfying, and the absolute best at what it does, so it gets the top spot.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:26:08 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline drwhovill

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 11:47:31 PM »
Here's my Top Ten

10. Lingo (Chuck Woolery version). I used to love playing Lingo with my family
9. Match Game. It's usually fun especially during the Super Match
8. Catch 21. I love playing blackjack
7. Password. I used to play with my family. Mute the TV and see if they knew the answers
6. Celebrity Name Game. Craig Ferguson did really good.
5. Whammy the all new press your luck. No reason, other than I loved that show.
4. Hollywood Squares. The Gilbert Gottfried you fool episode was my favorite one.
3. Deal or no Deal. The models were good looking, plus I would play the game on my computer.
2. Jeopardy. I would watch it while eating dinner, and play along with the contestants and see how I would do (without wagering during the Daily Doubles)
1. Wheel Of Fortune. I would be a really awesome contestant.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
10. To Tell the Truth
9. Card Sharks
8. Hollywood Squares
7. The $100,000 Pyramid
6. Let's Make a Deal
5. Press Your Luck
4. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
3. Jeopardy!
2. Family Feud
1. Wheel of Fortune

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
In no particular order

1. Russian Roulette
2. Sale of the Century
3. Jeopardy!
4. Wheel of Fortune
5. Press Your Luck
6. Card Sharks
7. 1 vs. 100
8. Greed
9. Password
10. Pyramid

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 12:13:30 PM »
1. Wheel of Fortune
2. Jeopardy
3. American Gladiators- yes not totally a game show but close enough and it's a sentimental choice as a childhood favorite
4. Double Dare (Nickelodeon)
5. Pyramid (Dick Clark versions specifically)
6. Match Game (Gene Rayburn 7x and PM specifically)
7. Who Wants to be a Millionaire (ABC Primetime)
8. Let's Make a Deal
9. Press Your Luck
10. Greed

Just outside top 10- Family Feud, Hollywood Squares, Card Sharks, Legends of the Hidden Temple, 1 vs 100, Supermarket Sweep, Shop Til You Drop (Finn), Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Figure it Out

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 07:54:09 AM »
1. Who Wants to be a Millionaire (Abc version i miss the original format)
2. Family Feud (Mainly the Ray Combs version)
3. Weakest Link (I prefer the British version the first few series)
4. The Cube
5. Sale of the Century
6. Card Sharks
7. Press your Luck and Whammy (I like the big bank and the double whammies)
8. Greed
9. The Chase (not the American version)
10. Supermarket Sweep

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »
1. Sale of The Century / Temptation
I like nearly every incarnation of this program, mainly because of the champion's journey to a king's ransom of cash and prizes.

2. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
This would be my perfect setup: NZ Host, 2018 UK Set, 2007 UK Music, original format (with phone calls instead of auditions)

3. Jeopardy!
The gold standard of quizzing, in my opinion.  The Tournament of Champions serves as quizzing's Super Bowl / World Series / Stanley Cup / Finals (take your pick).

4. Twenty-One
The following I like most about this show is: Barry rules (a modern version could offer $2,500 / $5,000 a point), Povich set, Povich music

5. Blockbusters
Again, I like the following: USA Rafferty format, USA Cullen champion limits, UK music, UK set.

6. The Joker's Wild (Barry)
Jack Barry was amazing as a quiz show host in terms of suspense value.

7. Tic Tac Dough (Martindale)
I like the fact that two good players can tie multiple times to make a sort of "storyline". And of course, we all know of that show's biggest storyline, Thom McKee.

8. Pyramid
It's just such a fun show to play along.  The $100K Clark format is my favorite.

9. Greed
The show would be even better if there were more money levels.  Still, the concept of team play and the epic music makes this a great show.

10. Eye Guess
This is a very unique and fun show.  I especially like the idea of offering a prize for MISSING four in a row.

Ecclesiastes 12:13