Author Topic: List Threads  (Read 8797 times)

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
List Threads
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »
I'm just wondering if list threads are OK? By a list thread, I mean a thread where people just list things without giving an explanation as to why they put the things in the list in the specific order.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: List Threads
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:44:13 PM »
I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be allowed, but from a reading perspective I wouldn't be interested in list threads as you describe them.  Why should I care what your top 10 favorites are?  Why should you care about mine?  But if you explained WHY you chose your top ten, and WHY you ranked them in the order you did, that at least offers the potential for discussion, and depending what the topic is could lead to clearing up a misconception.

For example - and this is a made-up one - "I don't like The Gong Show because the panelists didn't take the acts seriously.  And I remember one show where Chuck Barris introduced a Swedish contest as 'Sven - or Swen' whatever the guy's last name was, instead of taking the time to find out how to pronounce it correctly.  Very disrespectful."  Someone could post a response explaining that The Gong Show was done more for laughs than as a legitimate talent search and how everybody knew it - and that explanation might convince the original commenter to re-evaluate his feelings and watch the show with a different eye.  You couldn't have that if the guy just included The Gong Show on a top-ten list of shows he hated and presented the list without any commentary.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 03:41:33 AM »
There's currently a thread in which people are just listing their top ten favorite games shows besides Price on here. http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,28773.0.html Also, another message board that I like to go to has a rule that says no list threads at all because they don't foster discussion.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »
Chillax. No such rule exists here. While list threads are certainly annoying, the one in question does at least have some bit of relevancy as it pertains to game shows. That being said, if this leads to additional list threads being created for the sake of creating list threads, then they will be dealt with.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker