Author Topic: New Pricing Game Idea: Speed Limit  (Read 2213 times)

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
New Pricing Game Idea: Speed Limit
« on: June 23, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
This game is played for a car.  The price doesn't affect gameplay, though, so the contestant is told the price.  They then are shown 5 small products and must pick 3 of them, one at a time, that total to less than a speed limit that varies from game to game.  This speed limit is posted as a speed limit sign and is marked in red on the oversized speedometer as seen below.  Upon the second pick, they are offered the cash equivalent of 100 times the total of the two items they've picked (for example, the two items total to $53, so they're offered $5,300).  If they go on and win, they win the final total times $100, the car, and all five SPs.  If they go on and lose, they lose everything, including the SPs.  If they bail, they win the cash plus the two SPs they picked.  In case anyone asks, the contestant also wins if the final total is exactly equal to the speed limit, making the maximum cash prize in this game the speed limit times $100.

Upon each pick, the pointer on the speedometer gradually moves up, and the digital readout counts up along with it.
 If the contestant loses, the buzzer and losing horn play immediately after the pointer passes the red mark that represents the speed limit.

For Dream Car/Big Money Week, the game would be played with more expensive SPs and a 200-mph speedometer instead of the 100-mph one, thereby approximately doubling the possible cash payout.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: New Pricing Game Idea: Speed Limit
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 06:23:19 PM »
This has strong vibes of “Credit Card”  in that the only way you can win by not going over a “limit” is by choosing the three least expensive items. I like it.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »
This has strong vibes of “Credit Card”  in that the only way you can win by not going over a “limit” is by choosing the three least expensive items. I like it.

Thanks.  I was actually conceiving this game like a week ago when I was thinking about how to make a pricing game out of street signs or other stuff you see on a street in general.  I thought about the speed limit sign and boom, I came up with this game, a game about staying under a speed limit.  I also thought of it as something like Grocery Game minus quantities of products combined with SPs, a varying cash bailout, and a car as a grand prize, but now that you mention Credit Card, it does resemble that more.

My original idea though was that the total had to be within $10 of the speed limit without exceeding it.  So with a speed limit of 80 as in the first attached picture, you'd have to hit between $70 and $80, both inclusive.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:55:51 PM »
I like it too. Easy to understand, fun theme, relatively quick.

Edit: And I'd rather see this played than TTM or Gridlock, so it's got that going for it as well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:01:07 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
I love the idea.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 04:33:25 AM »
If the contestant loses, the buzzer and losing horn play immediately after the pointer passes the red mark that represents the speed limit.

Would the "mrrp" also work? I think the "mrrp" would work much better.

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »
So, basically, Credit Card, but with SPs, a car, and cash. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
Would the "mrrp" also work? I think the "mrrp" would work much better.

That would work as well.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:47:16 AM »
I think that's a cool prop design and your idea with three picks not to go over seems like an idea, but I'd change it where its a hybrid GP/SP game like Rat Race, with three pairs of items similar to Give or Keep/Hurdles, with the items getting more expensive as the game progresses, starting with cheap GPs (usually less than about $7 or so), then more expensive GPs ($7-$20), and then finally a pair of SPs. But to save time, eliminate the bailout option since even if both GPs were picked incorrectly, there would still be suspense for the final SP. The price of all prizes would be shown at the end of the game. In essence, this would sort of be Hurdles 2.0, but for a car and no worries about a starting pistol hurting anyone.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/