Author Topic: Is there a video of the first perfect bid on the showcase online?  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Bennyken23

• Outside in Line
I believe it was on the dennis james version.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Is there a video of the first perfect bid on the showcase online?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:05:48 PM »
Per this thread started by Scott Robinson, who used to work at the show, there was no perfect Showcase bid on the nighttime show, and there probably wasn't one on the daytime show, either, although we can't say that for certain.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Bennyken23

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »
Per this thread started by Scott Robinson, who used to work at the show, there was no perfect Showcase bid on the nighttime show, and there probably wasn't one on the daytime show, either, although we can't say that for certain.

I remember seeing it happen before in the 70's. Thought it was nighttime.

There has got to be video online.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »
I'm not a mod, but if you are going to keep asking if they exist, if you can't find it, the answer is no, unfortunately.

I gave it a quick lookup, and I couldn't find anything. That's too bad; I also wanted to see it.

I'm also going to give this wise advice: Several members who just ask questions like this are usually ignored due to quality of posts. If there is a reason to ask a simple question, there's a simple question and answer thread.  Although not on this board, I'll give the example of "datisawheelwatcher" on the BAV boards. All they did was ask for video requests, and after several mods telling them to stop, they were banned.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just trying to show that I have seen several users that just don't get asked to stop, and I don't want another person to get banned by not knowing this.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 07:55:47 PM »
There has got to be video online.

No, there doesn't.

Many, many 1970s TPIR episodes haven't been aired anywhere since the 1970s.  One particular incident (which might not even have happened) not being online is hardly surprising.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Bennyken23

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »
No, there doesn't.

Many, many 1970s TPIR episodes haven't been aired anywhere since the 1970s.  One particular incident (which might not even have happened) not being online is hardly surprising.

You are a director on the show. You can perfectly walk up to the archives and look for that episode.

Offline Walktheroad2

• Outside in Line
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 08:19:00 PM »
You are a director on the show. You can perfectly walk up to the archives and look for that episode.

Not a director of the show. Director of the forums.

Mods, I can smell a troll in Bennyken

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 08:19:56 PM »
He's a director on this site, he has no involvement with the actual show.

EDIT: I wouldn't go so far as to call "troll", but has "newbie" written all over just the same.

Offline Walktheroad2

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »
He's a director on this site, he has no involvement with the actual show.

EDIT: I wouldn't go so far as to call "troll", but has "newbie" written all over just the same.

The way he said it sounds a bit more like a troll than an uninformed person.

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 12:13:37 AM »
Could be a case of the Mandela Effect.

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:55:45 AM »
To be fair, the FAQ Timeline page does mention a perfect showcase bid in Season 1 or 2 as a fact.
While the FAQ page is still not displaying, there is a cached archived version out there that mentions it.

Week 30 (85): April 15-19

• By Thursday, black asterisks have been added to the Showcase podiums.
  • By Thursday, the Double Showcase rule is in place. It seems possible that this is the week the rule was introduced.
  • The Double Showcase rule at this time states that if the Showcase winner is less than $100 away from the retail price of his own showcase, he wins both showcases.
  • Sometime between January 16, 1973, and the introduction of the Double Showcase rule, a contestant is known to have bid perfectly in the Showcase; this contestant's difference lit up as "00000".

This would appear to be on Bob's daytime show, not Dennis's nighttime one.

Still, the troll/newbie question is not totally clear...

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
To be fair, the FAQ Timeline page does mention a perfect showcase bid in Season 1 or 2 as a fact.
While the FAQ page is still not displaying, there is a cached archived version out there that mentions it.

This would appear to be on Bob's daytime show, not Dennis's nighttime one.

Still, the troll/newbie question is not totally clear...

It was on the daytime version, and I even remember the bid: $2200.  (Yes, the podium did say "00000" after the price was announced.)  It was also before the DSW rule was in effect, but that's all I really remember about it.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 07:05:50 AM »
It was on the daytime version, and I even remember the bid: $2200.  (Yes, the podium did say "00000" after the price was announced.)  It was also before the DSW rule was in effect, but that's all I really remember about it.
  This is what I recall as well.  I am pretty sure it happened.  I wouldn't dream about something like this!   Wish we could uncover the video someday...

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »
I've heard about this kind of thing. So Terry in Season 37 would be only the second contestant to ever record a perfect bid in the Showcase!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 03:53:25 PM »
During the reveal, Drew mentioned in passing that Terry's perfect bid was the first one since 1972 or 1973.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."