Author Topic: Another New Pricing Game Idea: Escalator (working title)  (Read 1478 times)

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
Another New Pricing Game Idea: Escalator (working title)
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:00:37 PM »
Since people seemed to like my first idea, Speed Limit, here's another idea for a pricing game

Played for $100,000 cash with 6 cash levels and 7 dollar-and-cent amounts:

=======================
-----------|--$10.50--|
$100,000   |          |
-----------|--$10.00--|
$20,000    |          |
-----------|---$9.00--|
$10,000    |          |
-----------|---$7.50--|
$5,000     |          |
-----------|---$5.50--|
$2,000     |          |
-----------|---$3.00--|
$1,000     |          |
-----------|---$0.00--|
=======================

The contestant is then shown 7 grocery items (1 worth between $0.50 and $1.00, 3 worth $1.00 to $2.00 each, 2 worth $2.00 to $3.00 each, 1 worth $3.00+; however, the contestant is not told about this distribution) and must pick an item that's within the first range ($0.00 to $3.00).  If they do that, they win $1,000 and are given a choice: bail with $1,000 or pick another item.  This item must take the running total of picked items up to the next range ($3.00 to $5.50), or else the contestant loses everything and the game is over.  For convenience, a separate display shows the range that the individual item must fall within (NEXT ITEM: $X.XX TO $X.XX).  They win $2,000 for landing within that next range and are again offered a choice to bail or pick another item.  This third item must bring the running total up to the next range ($5.50 to $7.50) and the contestant wins $5,000 if successful.  This process continues until the contestant either lands successfully within all ranges (thereby winning $100,000), bails, or loses by landing outside the target range.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Another New Pricing Game Idea: Escalator (working title)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:11:08 PM »
Too similar to Pay the Rent without being a significant improvement. The gameplay isn't exciting enough to merit the prize being offered--it's Trader Bob 2.0, but it still carries over many of Trader Bob's flaws. The purpose of the game seems to be an excuse to offer $100,000, but we already have one Pay the Rent and it's quite enough.

Your last idea was pretty solid though, I enjoyed that one. It was simple enough, had fun gameplay, and a cool set.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Another New Pricing Game Idea: Escalator (working title)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »
Too similar to Pay the Rent without being a significant improvement. The gameplay isn't exciting enough to merit the prize being offered--it's Trader Bob 2.0, but it still carries over many of Trader Bob's flaws. The purpose of the game seems to be an excuse to offer $100,000, but we already have one Pay the Rent and it's quite enough.

Your last idea was pretty solid though, I enjoyed that one. It was simple enough, had fun gameplay, and a cool set.

Yeah, I can't really say I was a huge fan of this game myself when I created it.