Author Topic: New Pricing Game idea: Two and Two  (Read 1708 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
New Pricing Game idea: Two and Two
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »
Four prizes are shown and described to the contestant. All that must be done is to choose two prizes and have the actual retail price be LESS than the actual retail price of the other two prizes. Then the prices are revealed and the outcome determined.

I know the show needs more quickie games which is why I tried to keep the rules as simple as possible. Based on the way I structured the game, I believe there are multiple ways for the contestant to win. For example, there are four prizes: $1000, $1500, $2000, $2500. The contestant could select $1000 and $2000 or $1000 and $1500. Of course, the number of winning combinations varies on the prices.

So what do you think?

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: New Pricing Game idea: Two and Two
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
Sounds like a more complicated version of Take Two and Poker Game.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
I like the simplicity, I like how it's easy to understand.  It sounds like Hi-Lo, but in practice it's closer to Easy as 123 with more room for error.

The difficulty is in setting it up--unless you're using four prizes that are REALLY close to each other, this would probably be very easy for most contestants.

Just for the sake of argument let's pretend that the $1,000 prize is just a dollar cheaper to avoid ties:

AB ($2499) vs CD ($4500) - easy win
AC ($2999) vs BD ($4000) - win
AD ($3499) vs BC ($3500) - close win
BC ($3500) vs AD ($3499) - close loss
BD ($4000) vs AC ($2999) - loss
CD ($4500) vs AB ($2499) - loss

On paper it SEEMS like the contestant has a 50/50 chance of winning, and they would, if they were picking randomly. But they're not--to win the game all the contestant REALLY has to do in this scenario is identify one prize.

If they can identify the highest priced prize and avoid it, they win. If they can pick the lowest priced price, they win. Even if they pick both, they still win in this scenario.

The only way to lose would be to put the cheapest prize on the high end (which is hard to do--how often does the cheapest prize get picked in Most Expensive?). Even though these are made up-numbers, they illustrate that there's a LOT of winning combinations that most contestants will be able to identify.

On the other hand, if you try to lower the number of winning combinations, you have to make the prices more extreme--say. $500, $600, $1200, $1250. But then it becomes even more obvious which ones are the "high" prizes and which are the "low" ones.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »
I don't know if Chuck Woolery would take offense to you using his famous commercial break throw line-- remember "Two and two, be right back at you" (2:02, standard length of a commercial break then)?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:06:53 AM »
I don't know if Chuck Woolery would take offense to you using his famous commercial break throw line-- remember "Two and two, be right back at you" (2:02, standard length of a commercial break then)?

That's right! I totally forgot about that! Well, there a dozens of names I could choose for the game if the conflict arises.

If they can identify the highest priced prize and avoid it, they win. If they can pick the lowest priced price, they win. Even if they pick both, they still win in this scenario.

The only way to lose would be to put the cheapest prize on the high end (which is hard to do--how often does the cheapest prize get picked in Most Expensive?). Even though these are made up-numbers, they illustrate that there's a LOT of winning combinations that most contestants will be able to identify.

Still, I have seen a lot of times where the contestant (and I must admit, I have done so too) picked the cheapest prize in Most Expensive. Even so, perhaps the price range could be reduced to make it slightly harder? Then again, it does not matter how the game is set up as long as there is one way the contestant could lose.

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!