Author Topic: Handbags and Shoes - Why?  (Read 4693 times)

Offline jimme

• Outside in Line
Handbags and Shoes - Why?
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:52:06 PM »
They say game shows skew to a downscale demographic.  I certainly could not afford them, and I doubt the average TPIR contestant is much better off than I am.  Given this, what is the thinking of the producers in giving away these luxury handbags and shoes?  Do the designers think they are hitting a target market?  Is this what people really want more than an appliance or a trip?  Does the producer think it adds a touch of class or excitement.  I'm sorry, but if I was offered the chance to win $11,000 worth of shoes, I might ask if I could go back to contestant's row and try again.
Your thoughts?  Why are these things offered on TPIR?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Handbags and Shoes - Why?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:06:51 PM »
The demo they’re targeting is younger and skewed female, so they’re offering prizes that they believe women 18-35 would be interested in seeing.

I think I’ve only seen designer items offered as IUFBs or in multiprize games/showcases, and I’ve always assumed it was for exactly that reason.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:25:46 PM »
Quote from: jimme
Do the designers think they are hitting a target market?
The designers don't factor into this.  The show's producers are offering the prizes.  They aren't "marketing" prizes to a target market; they're offering a chance to win these prizes to lucky contestants. 

Quote from: jimme
Is this what people really want more than an appliance or a trip?
In many cases, yes.  A choice between a trip and designer fashion accessories might be a coin toss, depending on the player, but I feel safe in saying that the vast majority of women would definitely rather win those fashion items over appliances.

Part of the magic of being on a game show is not just the possibility of winning a prize.  It's the possibility of winning a prize that you otherwise would not ordinarily be able to own.

As a guy, I can't relate to winning purses or handbags. 

However, if I were to find my way on to the show, I can PROMISE that I would go crazy over the $9,000 BBQ island that has been offered in the past.  I can't afford it, but if I were to WIN one, it would take a team of plastic surgeons a month to remove the smile from my face.

I know some women who feel the same way about designer handbags.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »
That's part of the appeal of a game show.  Prizes offered may be off the beaten path of trips, appliances, and cars.  Remember some of the prizes Wheel of Fortune offered back in 1984 that customers could shop for after solving a puzzle?  I remember statues, jewelry, fur coats, and even gift certificates being in the various themed prize rooms that Wheel used to highlight.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:32:10 AM »
They say game shows skew to a downscale demographic.  I certainly could not afford them, and I doubt the average TPIR contestant is much better off than I am.  Given this, what is the thinking of the producers in giving away these luxury handbags and shoes?  Do the designers think they are hitting a target market?  Is this what people really want more than an appliance or a trip?  Does the producer think it adds a touch of class or excitement.  I'm sorry, but if I was offered the chance to win $11,000 worth of shoes, I might ask if I could go back to contestant's row and try again.
Your thoughts?  Why are these things offered on TPIR?

Of course it adds excitement for the target audience. It's not really different from offering fancy cars periodically.

They know exactly what they're doing for today's audience, not 1972's, and to date, it's been yielding positive results.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »
Given this, what is the thinking of the producers in giving away these luxury handbags and shoes?

One answer might be that they know how ridiculously difficult it is to accurately price these items, since the numbers can vary so wildly.

I'm sorry, but if I was offered the chance to win $11,000 worth of shoes, I might ask if I could go back to contestant's row and try again.

LOL Good luck with that.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »
And if the demographics of most G-R.net and Game Show Forum commenters are any indication...well, that might explain why we don't see ultimate tool packages, man caves or Hart Schaffner Marx wardrobes offered in the first PG.

Offline Gerald78

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
And if the demographics of most G-R.net and Game Show Forum commenters are any indication...well, that might explain why we don't see ultimate tool packages, man caves or Hart Schaffner Marx wardrobes offered in the first PG.

Hey, get off of my lawn! ;)

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »
One answer might be that they know how ridiculously difficult it is to accurately price these items, since the numbers can vary so wildly.

LOL Good luck with that.

I'd take the handbags and shoes over one of those airboats, hovercrafts, or other amphibious vehicles they used to offer as prizes in games like Hi-Lo or Check Out.  At least my market for reselling Michael Kors accessories wouldn't be restricted to the Everglades. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:26:05 PM by dmaingame »

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 06:38:59 PM »
It was far worse a few years ago.  I kid you not, a male contestant was offered as his pricing game prize a few dozen or so WOMEN'S shoes!  I don't think even most women would've found that prize appealing because I bet the vast majority wouldn't fit their style and who knows if they were even the right size...or could be had at the right size???

Yes I know in the Barker era you sometimes saw weird sculptures or other oddball types of things but at least you could keep it as like a "trophy"/memento of sorts from your time on TPIR.  Can't really do that with shoes or a dress or purses :P

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:55:26 PM »
Go back and watch some of the late 70s episodes of TPiR.  Some shows I think almost every prize (aside from the cars or the odd trip) was something strange.  Certainly the case of the one-bids. 

Beyond that, for most of Barker's version, it always seemed that one showcase had all the good prizes and the other showcase had all the prizes they couldn't give away before.  At least in the current era, the showcases seem to be fairly even.  I don't always know when a contestant will bid or pass on a showcase now, but I could guess it 9 times out of 10 in most of Barker's years.

Offline Estil

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 10:03:44 PM »
Oh yes, aside from the classic Splendia showcase or whatever it was called, you could get even worse Showcases like "every room in the house" or the TPIR train of trash :P

There was even one kind of Showcase I liked to call the "sucker Showcase".  What do I mean by that?  Well at that time the good showcase ended with a vehicle or a trailer.  In most cases though if the first showcase had the trailer, the contestant would pass (the sucker part)...not realizing that was actually the good (more valuable) showcase (a trailer is just as much if not more valuable than a vehicle at the time right?) and would probably get stuck with the infamous Splendia showcase (or worse; see above).

Offline LoyalFriendAndTrue

• Outside in Line
  • Spinnin' That Wheel
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
I've spent a lot of time wondering about this too! I guess there must be a lot of ladies watching this show though based on the number of times they have Mr OHallarann parading around in his swimming shorts and washroom abs! Back to shoes and bags though, even if I got on stage and guessed right in a game like Danger Price and won a mess of shoes and bags I'd still be okay with it as my wife uses both of those things. I'd be all set for birthday shopping for the rest of my days! (So long as her feet don't change lol)

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 06:48:06 PM »
     I don't know about earlier Price Showcases, but these days, if I was the Top Winner and the first showcase had a trailer, I would pass without hesitation.  I hate those things, so darn random!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 12:19:24 AM »
     I don't know about earlier Price Showcases, but these days, if I was the Top Winner and the first showcase had a trailer, I would pass without hesitation.  I hate those things, so darn random!

I never understood why the previous regime even bothered to offer RVs.  Very low excitement-to-price ratio.  Nothing dampened audience enthusiasm more than when the big prize at the end of the Golden Road was a motor home instead of an expensive car.

They say game shows skew to a downscale demographic.  I certainly could not afford them, and I doubt the average TPIR contestant is much better off than I am.  Given this, what is the thinking of the producers in giving away these luxury handbags and shoes?  Do the designers think they are hitting a target market?  Is this what people really want more than an appliance or a trip?

Keep in mind that new appliances were fairly expensive items when the show started -- the days before massive factory outsouring.  On one of the first episodes of TPiR, a fairly ordinary sewing machine in a One Bid retailed for $429.  That's the equivalent of $2,500 today (when you can get a quite decent sewing machine for less than $300).  The famous kitchen appliance combo that tripped up Holly in 1982 sold for $6,000 after adjusting for inflation, while you could get a set of similar appliances today for half that.  Many people who needed a new range or refrigerator in the 70s had to use layaway and wait for months.  Plus, most daytime game show viewers in the 70s and 80s were homemakers.  The idea of immediately getting newer, feature-laden appliances was very appealing to the target audience.  Nobody is wowed by a fridge anymore.