Author Topic: Why do you watch TPIR?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Why do you watch TPIR?
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »
We all sacrifice one hour of each day to watch The Price is Right, with all the lights, sound effects and LCD screens. But little is the question asked: "Why?" I therefore pose the question to you now. Why do you take time out of your day to watch The Price is Right?

I think for me the biggest reason (there are several) would be the pricing games, to be faced with six new challenges every day, just as if I was on stage.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online drwhovill

• In the Audience
Re: Why do you watch TPIR?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
For me, I've been a big fan of game shows in general. I like to record the show, then play along at home as if I was a contestant.
Don't get me wrong, Bob was a really great host, but, I love how Drew interacts with George and the models.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »
I'm a game show fan in general and TPiR is the most fun game show with the most variety to watch.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »

I no longer do.

I don't feel like it's the show I grew up with. It feels too much like a sequel of the original that's become fraught with gimmicks and screaming people who act like they've never even heard of the show and have had far too much caffeine while waiting in line.

If I know something unusual happened, I'll check it out online. But it's no longer a regular part of my daily viewing.

That said, I wish the show the best and hope it hits the 50th-year mark and beyond. I certainly don't want to see it crash and burn at all. It's just drifted a bit too far away from what I enjoyed about it years ago for me to make a habit out of it these days. (That's true of most modern shows, as a matter of fact.)
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
I’ve been watching Price for as long as I remember. Here are several (not all) reasons why I watch.

- the potential prizes that could pop up every day, like a Tesla, or Jaguar, etc.
- Big Money Week and Dream Car Week
- the iconic clangs and whoops
- the possibility of a Double Showcase Winner

Offline The Last Outlaw

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
I'm a "game show head."  I love the game shows that stayed true to the original without WAAAAAAY too many changes.  This is why I panned Card Sharks 2001.  They changed the game so much there, I didn't recognize it.  The Price is Right made subtle changes, but the bottom line is, this is the game show that is one of the measuring sticks that other game shows either try to be like or surpass in terms of popularity.

LONG LIVE THE PRICE IS RIGHT!

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »
I no longer do.

I don't feel like it's the show I grew up with. It feels too much like a sequel of the original that's become fraught with gimmicks and screaming people who act like they've never even heard of the show and have had far too much caffeine while waiting in line.

If I know something unusual happened, I'll check it out online. But it's no longer a regular part of my daily viewing.

That said, I wish the show the best and hope it hits the 50th-year mark and beyond. I certainly don't want to see it crash and burn at all. It's just drifted a bit too far away from what I enjoyed about it years ago for me to make a habit out of it these days. (That's true of most modern shows, as a matter of fact.)
This, so much this. Pretty much the only time I look up anything about the current show is when a new game debuts. I'm pretty much here for the FAQ and for when classic episodes turn up in the videos section.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 10:22:50 PM »
Essentially, I guess you could say it's that for me, Price is everything a good game show should be at its best:  visually appealing, exciting, high payoffs for those who know their products well.  It's also good that, while the overall concept has remained essentially constant, no two shows are exactly alike, so every time you tune it, you get a new experience of sorts--thus good reason to keep tuning in.  Plus, on a social level, you can say Price demonstrates the best of America and the underlying American spirit:  all in the audience are equal regardless of race, religion, or what have you, all have equal chance of being a big winner if they work hard enough at the various tasks they would have to overcome if called down--the quintessential American belief that anyone can do anything made manifest. 

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 11:16:08 PM »
I don't. I work full time and the show airs when I'm working.

My passion for game shows comes and goes... and right now, I'm at a period in my life where game shows aren't high on my priority list. This isn't a bad thing. I'm sure the passion will return some day.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 05:59:17 AM »
Although I don't always watch it due to my work schedule, I will watch it when I am home.

I realize episodes are available online, but often I'll check the recap section on here.

Why I watch, many many reasons.

They say variety is the spice of life.  The show has had a variety of prizes, a variety of contestants, and a variety of pricing games over 46 years.  That kind of variety keeps people interested.  I recall Bob saying once that they introduce new games to keep us interested, and it works.

I remember watching episode one on Labor Day 1972, 2 days before my first day of Kindergarten.  Although Bob's retirement was yet one more link to my childhood that came to an end, the show continued on.  It is a link to memories of my one grandmother who I watched it with from time to time until she died in March 1976, as well as watching it with my mom, and other family members and friends, so there's still that strong link to my very early childhood.

With so much bad news shows on, so many cop dramas, so many reality shows which I cannot stomach, annoying talk shows (Maury, Dr. Phil, Ellen, The View) it's nice to have something that is fun and upbeat to watch.  Granted, the editing of the show and the way too over the top excitement of contestants makes it border on WWE wrestling, it still is enjoyable to watch.  My biggest gripe, and I know I've said this so much, is the fact that more and more time of the 60 minutes gets devoted to commercials causing far less potential interaction between host and contestants, as well as having to play more quicky lame games (Coming or Going comes to mind) and not always having time to have a grocery item pricing game and a small prize pricing game in every rotation.

But even a "bad" episode of Price is better than the best episode

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
I no longer do.

Same for me. I quit watching regularly in June 2007 when Barker left. Sure, I watched the first couple of weeks or so with Drew just out of curiosity, but my interest quickly diminished. Now, I only tune in when a special episode pops up. (Barker makes an appearance, Craig Ferguson hosting the April Fool's Day show in 2014, etc.) It's not the same Price Is Right anymore. And it's not just because it's not Bob Barker hosting. I thoroughly enjoyed the Dennis James, Tom Kennedy, and Doug Davidson syndicated nighttime shows. Drew Carey was just the wrong choice.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:58:27 PM by Combs »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 02:36:44 AM »
When I was a kid, Bob Barker was sort of this larger-than-life, white haired guy who came on television at the same time every morning and presented an hour of excitement in my living room.  Even before I was old enough to fully understand all that was going on, something about this show drew me in unlike most anything else I watched, and I was fascinated by it.

As I got older and came to know the games and how the show worked, my interest only grew.  I started looking more into the history of the show and how it got to be where it was — all of the different set changes and retired pricing games, syndicated versions and nighttime specials, Johnny Olson and his succession by Rod Roddy, etc.  The history of the show was about as fascinating to me as the show itself!  What’s more, despite some of the cosmetic changes over the years and Bob’s hair turning white, the show still felt the same in 2001 as it did in 1981 — much of which I credit to the emcee.

When the emcee changed, the show changed too.  Maybe not for everyone, but it sure changed for me.  I’ve tried for over 10 years to find that spark again that so enticed me as a child — the spark that’s been missing ever since Bob bid his final farewell on June 15, 2007 — but I’ve yet to find it.  And I truly have given it my best effort.  However, I’ve about stopped watching altogether the past couple of years, outside of the occasional pricing game or showcase I’ll catch if it happens to be on.  It’s not that I don’t like the show anymore, it’s just that my interest in the current production isn’t near what it once was, because again, it’s not the same show to me anymore.

It doesn’t help that my initial reaction during the transition from Bob to Drew was mostly negative.  I was bitter over Drew being chosen over some of the other candidates.  They overhauled the set (at least it felt like, I had no idea what was to come...).  They screwed with the theme music.  They even changed the logo!

Over time, I’ve come to accept these changes.  Drew is doing an excellent job.  The set, music, etc. all make sense for 2018.  It’s all good.  But it’s still not the same show to me.  It’s Drew’s show now, and while I like the job he’s doing and hope he stays on for many more years and continues the show’s success, I’ve accepted the fact that I don’t think I’ll ever get that interest I once had in the show back.  I still keep up with this site for the latest on what’s going on and generally look at the recaps each day in case I missed a big event.  The history of the show also still fascinates me, and I’ll occasionally watch an old episode or two on YouTube.  However, it’s no longer appointment television and hasn’t been for many years.  Perhaps one day that spark will come back, but I think I simply had lightning in a bottle those first 13 and a half years of my life, and when it all changed, the lightning escaped.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »
Well, I watch the Price is Right to see the Big Wheel. That's my favorite part of the whole show. I love the games too. It's nice to play along with it.

Offline Gameshowgenius26

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
I watch this religiously ever since the Bob Barker era and looong into the Drew Carey era since I was 2! Even when I'm at work I never fail to watch the episode I missed on CBS.com.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 07:26:45 PM »
I watch Price because it's something that I grew up with.

Out of the depths of my memory, I very hazily recall my mom and grandma talking about "El Cheapo." Yes, the show (though more specifically Money Game) is one of my earliest memories. Even years from now, it will always be a reminder of my family.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did