Author Topic: Double Dare is Coming Back!  (Read 12053 times)

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Double Dare is Coming Back!
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 12:54:18 AM »
Nickelodeon uploaded this sneak peek of the show onto YouTube. We see how Marc will be involved with the show, and new physical challenges. It seems they're moving away from the super messes of the Super Sloppy/Nickelodeon Family, and Double Dare 2000 runs, and embracing the teamwork aspect of the show-in the contestants and in Liza and Marc having good banter with each other. Marc is seen describing the physical challenges and tossups, to balance out Liza's hosting of the game.

Also, it appears that the dollar amounts are updated to account for inflation: $50 for the tossup and $50/100/200 for questions in Round 1, with $200 physical challenges. Double the dollar values for Round 2 and we have $100 tossups, $100/200/400 for questions and $400 physical challenges. These are the highest dollar values for the main game in the show's history.

I like how they kept the original show's 1986 aesthetics and soundtrack, and updated both for 2018. This looks to be a great revival of the show, and I can't wait to see it.
In the early episodes there was also less slop and the physical challenges were more reminiscent of Bob Barker's Truth or Consequences.  Though it was fun to watch contestants get gunged with slime and giant drums of food like substances, I preferred the 1986 episodes for their simplicity.  Looking forward to tuning in next week.   

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 07:47:15 AM »
The Diaper and commode challenge is funny.

They did a very good job keeping this show true to the original. Liza is doing a great job hosting its just weird seeing Marc play second banana.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
I've watched the first four episodes, and I hope this survives into a second season. Interestingly, it looks like Wednesday's episode was in the same taping session as the second Monday episode with the same obstacle course layout, and surprisingly, although Tuesday's course seemed the easiest, it team only made it through obstacle #4. Two episodes also had Round 2 without a physical challenge, although I'd miss the earlier versions where the losing team kept their money (and even got a minimum of $100 just for playing), meaning I'd just wish they just had the FDD/2000 values all along, since the winner is the only one who gets a crack at the prizes on the obstacle course. The new Mt. Saint Double Dare seemed to have the board portion of the Sundae Slide, and makes a great closer as well, with Marc hiding behind it. And I do like Liza better than the DD2000 host (can't remember who he was, but he just didn't seem to have as much energy).
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 04:14:54 PM »
I would say this version is good so far. The set looks better on TV than it did in the preview photos and videos, and I love the theme music but the sound effects could be better. Liza is a fine host and having Marc there as announcer and co-host just gives the show a boost since they have great chemistry together and play off each other well. The physical challenges so far seem to be either too difficult or too easy. The obstacle course fell victim to the contestants playing it too slow on the first three episodes with the couch obstacle really tricking them up on Tuesday's episode, last night's seemed to be intentionally set up to be easy to get a win. The prizes feel a little cheap, but I love that Space Camp has been the final prize on 3 out of 4 shows. It's definitely better than Double Dare 2000.

And I do like Liza better than the DD2000 host (can't remember who he was, but he just didn't seem to have as much energy).
Jason Harris was the DD2000 host. I agree, Liza is better with contestant interaction and Jason usually came off as awkward.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 06:29:33 PM »
I may be in the minority but I like the idea of having only the winners keep their cash. Much like the current version of Jeopardy!, it drives more of a competitive edge to the game since they’re playing for much higher stakes. Plus the losing team still gets some consolation prizes.

My only quirk so far is how the rounds are haphazardly paced. As mentioned before, two rounds went without physical challenges! Here’s hoping it’s just an effect of the first taped shows.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 11:54:07 AM »
Yes, the pacing of the rounds has been an issue. Most of them have felt either really long or really short. I don't mind the losing contestants not winning their bank either, but perhaps they could make it that the non-winning contestants take home half of the money they banked.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 11:28:38 PM »
Guess kids don't watch The Price is Right when they're home from school anymore, this one went unanswered: https://imgur.com/a/O8GoTfG

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 04:38:22 AM »
Two kids isn’t necessarily a sample. :)

But with all the other options available today, that shouldn’t be all that surprising.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »
Two kids isn’t necessarily a sample. :)

But with all the other options available today, that shouldn’t be all that surprising.
I know, it was not meant to be taken seriously commentary.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »
Just finally got around to watching it (I've been travelling), and, for the most part, I found it enjoyable. Liza does a decent job as host, and Marc's interactions are just enough without feeling out of place.

The only minor issues I had were with the production...it feels like a typical Fremantle production. Overproduced, too tight editing, the audio mixing needs a lot of work, and, while the remixed theme and cues are great, they're not using the entire package...and the parts they are using are often used in the wrong places. And is it just me...or is the thirty second physical challenge cue about three seconds too short?
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.