Author Topic: Question about the Bob Barker studio  (Read 6573 times)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Question about the Bob Barker studio
« on: July 05, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »
I noticed that today on the price is right facebook page, they have a picture of the studio all struck down.  I  noticed that there appears to be alot of light shining down on the stage.  Does the studio have a glass ceiling that allows the sun light to get through, or is that in fact studio lights?

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Question about the Bob Barker studio
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »
More than likely, it's ceiling-mounted fluorescent lighting----otherwise known in most studios as "work lights". You probably wouldn't see them all too well because it's all obscured by the studio lighting and its battens.

Skylights in the ceiling would wreak havoc on the studio lighting and cameras' white balance settings.

Offline Sizeman

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »
Just took a look at the photo you are referring to.
You can see a couple of halogen-type lights up above the studio lights. Most noticeable is one above the front rows of the centre audience seating section.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 11:55:25 PM »
Here's the photo in question.

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Online GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:06 AM »
I wonder where they put that giant screen when it's not in use.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:31:12 AM »
I wonder where they put that giant screen when it's not in use.

It’s not removed, nor are the curtains and LED lights.  They use black curtains to conceal everything.  If you look closely at the middle of that image, you can see part of the Price blue curtains peeping out from behind the black ones.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 08:12:23 AM »
Although I can't speak specifically for the Bob Barker Studio, I've spent enough time on stage to be fairly certain that what you're seeing are indeed the "work lights" of the stage mentioned earlier. It's less expensive to use those to do common things on the stage (cleaning, organizing, etc.) than to use the stage lights.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
It appears the studio is starting to be reconfigured for "Real Time with Bill Maher". Since that show got a new set, they've installed stage extenders to cover the front apron stairs as parts of the "Real Time" set extend over that portion somewhat.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
One interesting detail in that photo that I’ve never seen before is that the white floor seems to be tiled, as opposed to smooth polished concrete, which is how it always appeared to me.     It makes sense that the tile pattern would be invisible on camera. 
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »
One interesting detail in that photo that I’ve never seen before is that the white floor seems to be tiled, as opposed to smooth polished concrete, which is how it always appeared to me.     It makes sense that the tile pattern would be invisible on camera.
I would seriously doubt that there's any regularly-used sound stage in the country that would have a polished concrete floor. It would be way too costly to repair from the usual wear and tear plus any accidental damage that might occur. And considering how many people jump, flop, faint, etc. all over that floor, I would imagine that those tiles get quite a workout. Just my 2 cents though.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »
I would seriously doubt that there's any regularly-used sound stage in the country that would have a polished concrete floor. It would be way too costly to repair from the usual wear and tear plus any accidental damage that might occur. And considering how many people jump, flop, faint, etc. all over that floor, I would imagine that those tiles get quite a workout. Just my 2 cents though.

Also set changes between studio clients, various equipment including cameras, lights, monitors, equipment racks.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
Well, this photo answers a question I've wondered about for years. The daisies are apparently a permanent fixture on the floor.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline nickdreyer10820

• In the Audience
  • Bob Barker and Drew Carey Rock
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 10:39:54 PM »
Well, this photo answers a question I've wondered about for years. The daisies are apparently a permanent fixture on the floor.

The asterisks on the floor are removable. Or they can be covered up with different colored tiles
We all Love Price is Right!

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 01:04:20 AM »
The asterisks on the floor are removable. Or they can be covered up with different colored tiles

Those two statements contradict each other.

...and if they are removable, why would they strike the entire set, and leave those behind?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:06:21 AM by Off_trak »
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
...and if they are removable, why would they strike the entire set, and leave those behind?

Because Real Time covers up the white floor with black tiling, so it’s not necessary to remove the G-T marks. If a different show used the white floor, they would pull up the marks.

The less they get moved, the less likely they will be damaged during a strike.

I would seriously doubt that there's any regularly-used sound stage in the country that would have a polished concrete floor. It would be way too costly to repair from the usual wear and tear plus any accidental damage that might occur.

Most studios where I have worked do have a concrete floor, although they sometimes add a special sealant on top of the concrete. You’re right, though... they are susceptible to damage and cracking and generally need to be filled and resealed every few years.