Author Topic: Richard Dawson on Match Game - What Happened?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline tpirsuperfan99

• In the Audience
Richard Dawson on Match Game - What Happened?
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:07:57 PM »
I love Match Game, it is my third favorite game show next to Feud and Price. Richard Dawson was my favorite panelist. But I noticed something happening. From ‘73-76 he was having a ton of fun on the show, he was always cracking jokes and just seemed really happy. From late ‘76-78, his demeanor changed. He started to act grumpy and disinterested in anything. He seemed like he wanted to be anywhere else than there. The Star Wheel really pissed off Richard and that’s what let him leave. But what had happened before the star wheel. Was it the success of Family Feud, did he just want to leave, or was it something else. I have heard multiple things that made him leave, it what actually happened?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Richard Dawson on Match Game - What Happened?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:38:57 AM »
Well, keep in mind that Richard was on regular Match Game, Match Game PM, Family Feud and starting in 1977 weekly syndicated Family Feud. That's six hours of television per week and a lot of tapings. Unlike Price is Right there wasn't a summer break, these were pretty much year round. I could easily understand why Richard got grumpy after a while!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Richard Dawson on Match Game - What Happened?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 01:39:30 AM »
Dawson's gripe with the Star Wheel was he felt it put contestants at a disadvantage, because they knew if they picked him, they were almost guaranteed the money. Richard was all about giving the contestant's every advantage possible to win. He would get into arguments with Feud producers over contestants answers, when he felt they were being too strict over semantics. Producers were in charge of the prize budget, Richard wasn't. Conflict ensued.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!