Author Topic: Winning trips on Price  (Read 1958 times)

Offline rick420buzz

• Walking the Golden Road
Winning trips on Price
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »
I have a couple of questions about winning trips on TPiR.

1. Do all trips actually originate from Los Angeles?

2. Is it possible to pay for an upgrade to Business/First Class? No way in heck would I want to spend 12 hours in coach!

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Winning trips on Price
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 11:52:40 PM »
I think they just use Los Angeles for the original point to get a price of the trip on the show. I imagine if you win it, you can choose a city closer to where you live.  I could be wrong though,

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »
Really, I don't see any reason if flying out of a certain point if the flight from that city is cheaper, depending on the carrier provided, would be rejected just for the sake of having to fly out of LAX. Texas, Florida, and Atlanta are likely to be cheaper if you wanted to fly somewhere in central/eastern North America and much of the Caribbean/Latin America for example, and flying to Europe out of the Northeast is usually cheaper. Meanwhile, if you're from outside the West Coast and won a trip to Hawaii, Australia, or Asia then a stopover at LAX makes better sense. That said, I'm not sure about class upgrades, but of course the priority goes to people who want that, and I'd imagine after a certain point if seats are left, then presumably that upgrade could be offered. If the destination you won is less than 300 miles away, then I'd honestly just drive or take the train. But it would be silly if you lived in say New York and had to fly first to LA and then back to Europe for example, and I've never heard of anyone who had to made such an odd flight based on what I've read about contestants winning.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure Bob answered #1 "back in the day"; they fly you from your nearest airport.  No, I don't know what happens if the trip happens to be to where you already live, but I doubt they give you a free round-trip ticket to Los Angeles.

Offline rick420buzz

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:33:37 PM »
Thanks for the answers, it does make sense that the trip would start closer to home. Of course, for certain trips, I would try for a class upgrade. I would probably accept a trip to somewhere like London, class upgrade for sure, DIA-LHR doesn't sound like coach would be doable.

I remember a contestant being offered a trip to Disneyland in a showcase once. She worked there. Hey, a free trip to work! Probably beats any employee discount. I think she passed the showcase.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:51:35 PM »
Drew has stated the price of the trips are calculated based on departure from LAX, and it been that way for decades. You just can't depart from any airport you want, as that would change the price of the announced prize, and the show isn't going cover the cost of you making changes the the itinerary. If you want to fly out if NYC, you will have to cover the costs of changng the tickets (return tickets are LAX, as well, so you'll be charged a fee both ways.) If you want to upgrade, any airline will gladly do that; if the seats are available, but you're still paying the extra charge.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!