Author Topic: Anyone else think TPIR is in a rut?  (Read 4945 times)

Offline db59

• Outside in Line
Anyone else think TPIR is in a rut?
« on: July 06, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
I watch TPIR almost every day and each show seems like a rerun o fthe the previous one.  They play Lucky Seven way to much, I am sick of hearing George Gray telling me in the prize descriptions, such and such is included, almost every showcase has 2 cars.  In my opinion, LMAD is a much more interesting show than TPIR.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Anyone else think TPIR is in a rut?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »
Isn't today a rerun?

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
I watch TPIR almost every day and each show seems like a rerun o fthe the previous one.  They play Lucky Seven way to much, I am sick of hearing George Gray telling me in the prize descriptions, such and such is included, almost every showcase has 2 cars.  In my opinion, LMAD is a much more interesting show than TPIR.

I prefer The Price is Right over Let’s Make a Deal because you need actual skill to win on Price, as opposed to Deal, which is mostly luck. By the way, the stuff you’ve been describing has been going on since 1972, and it’s still on air.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »
I doubt they are in a rut. They might just be making the end-of-season shows big prize-wise.

Besides, aren't they heading into (if not already in) summer reruns anyway?

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
No, I think the show is doing quite well. For a few years I quit watching, mainly around seasons 37 to 40. The show feels more stable to me the last few years than it has in a while. Drew is on his game almost every day and I watch the show at least a few times a week if able. I may even try to see a taping or two in December, since I'll be out west for the NFR. Who knows? Maybe I'll even get called to come on down and even play some Plinko!  :-)
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
No, I think the show is doing quite well. For a few years I quit watching, mainly around seasons 37 to 40. The show feels more stable to me the last few years than it has in a while. Drew is on his game almost every day and I watch the show at least a few times a week if able. I may even try to see a taping or two in December, since I'll be out west for the NFR. Who knows? Maybe I'll even get called to come on down and even play some Plinko!  :-)
What do you mean by the NFR?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
What do you mean by the NFR?

I did a Google search. Knowing Plinkoman is a big rodeo fan, I assume he means the National Finals Rodeo, Dec 6-15 in Las Vegas.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »
Nah, I don't think the show's in a rut. I do think there's often a sameness to unremarkable episodes at times, that's just the nature of putting out this munch content in a season. (Incidentally, one of Bob Barker's strengths was using his personality to help leaven this.) But overall I don't see any sort of rut as much as the show's working as designed.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »
Yes, National Finals Rodeo. Sorry about that!
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 12:02:07 AM »
I don't think that the show is in a rut. On the contrary (but maybe it doesn't sound like such) the show has really found its groove in the past few years. We don't have anymore asinine showcases like in the early Carey years, Drew has really refined his own style of hosting, etc. I think it's going very well. Yes, I can see that some pricing games are played way too often and some aren't really seen at all, but overall I think that the show is doing just fine.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »

"That's why the show's great; it feels medicinal because it's familiar..."

Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 07:27:17 AM »
I think Wheel is much more in a rut if you ask me. Many of the same theme weeks over there are recycled season after season, with the same general all-inclusive resorts offered during the Prize Puzzle that fixes the game toward one player, a wheel dominated by $500-$700 spaces, not to mention Pat starting to phone it in more similar to Bob's later years, and similar bonus round puzzles (multiple words, with more often than not, a J, K, Q, U, V, W, X, or Z in them). I enjoyed that Price Squad rerun from this past Halloween last Friday, which proves that if the show is enjoyable in reruns, it's going to succeed. And generally speaking, you'll see the good shows and not the skunks and 1 for 6ers during the summer anyways. A new game each season and potentially retiring a less popular one will keep the show fresh, along with of course the variety of showcases, new prizes, contestants, and various specials.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
Many of the same theme weeks over there are recycled season after season, with the same general all-inclusive resorts offered during the Prize Puzzle that fixes the game toward one player

Isn’t fixing the game towards the contestant virtually EVERY prize puzzle, regardless of the theme week?

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »
I agree with some of the previous posters--if there is a game show that's in a rut, it's Wheel.

Price has constantly re-invented itself as of late, with set revamps, new pricing games, various themes, the list goes on and on. The Powers That Be are doing a good job of keeping things fresh. Not to mention, Drew has hit his stride as host.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
Isn’t fixing the game towards the contestant virtually EVERY prize puzzle, regardless of the theme week?
Essentially, yes, particularly during team weeks where the trips have reached values as high as $15,000 with nothing else (minus the house minimum) altered to compensate.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.