Author Topic: Has the gap between PIR diehards and newbies closed?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
Has the gap between PIR diehards and newbies closed?
« on: July 13, 2018, 01:43:46 PM »
My $0.02:

In some aspects, it has, but in many more, it hasn't. I think the product has slowly, but definitely gotten better (it's most certainly better than it was 7-10 years ago,) but I think some saw the direction the show was heading once Dobkowitz left and Fingers and Richards took over and never came back. Mike and Fingers dug a pretty deep hole in those first few seasons, but I believe the show is right on the cusp of getting out of that hole, if it hasn't already.

Do you believe the gap between Price fans has closed up, or do you think it's grown wider? And why do you think the gap has shrunk or grown?
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
Re: Has the gap between PIR diehards and newbies closed?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »
It's really hard for me to say one way or the other.

I'm of the viewpoint that some of what happened during Drew's earlier years on the show was more "experimentation" than anything else--the show was entering a new decade with a new host, and I feel like they wanted to find a direction for the show that continued to attract younger viewers, and that Drew and the rest of the staff were comfortable with. I admit, some of the things they did were cringe-worthy and hard to watch, but I feel like ultimately the show came out of the whole thing better for it--I think there's a greater appreciation for what the "classic" era of the show brought to the table, and we've seen that with things like Decades Week.

So long story short, I feel like the current regime has done a great job of attracting newer viewers, but there are those that aren't going to be happy with the show anymore no matter what, mainly because of Roger's dismissal. And when you have certain individuals "fanning the flames" (as referenced in another recent thread), that's not going to improve matters any.

Offline ThePriceIsRightFanStudio

• Outside in Line
Re: Has the gap between PIR diehards and newbies closed?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 06:14:09 PM »
From our own experience, it seems like fans regardless of longevity enjoy discussing PIR with one another. That being said, we have no real way of gauging how long everyone has been watching, and it must be noted that people are usually expected to have a decent knowledge of the show's past. Whether this is representative or not, we also don't know.