Author Topic: Why are the clangs and whoops played …  (Read 3704 times)

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Why are the clangs and whoops played …
« on: July 08, 2018, 09:46:30 PM »
… for a $10,000 win on Grand Game, but not for a $10,000 (or maybe even $11,000) win on 1/2 Off? I know they used the clangs and whoops for the second $100,000 Half Off win during Big Money Week in 2016.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: Why are the clangs and whoops played …
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:15:07 PM »
I think it may be that they've used the clangs and whoops for a Grand Game win since the game debuted but haven't for 1/2 off. There have also been times they've not used it for Grand Game (Season 21 comes to mind). It could be a preference or some other factor, such as how Golden Road and Triple Play have used them a few times but lately have not.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 12:08:57 AM »
Often times during the 80s, the dings, clangs, and whoops would be played together, sometimes so long on some episodes and other times it would just be dings and whoops during that time too.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 01:20:09 AM »
^ Particularly in the case of DSW's. I've seen at least one episode where the clangs and whoops played through the entire credit roll (don't remember if they were still going when the episode faded to black, though). If memory serves, also had the backdrop behind the prizes rapidly shifting colors for the duration.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
I've often wondered why the sound effect wasn't included in 1/2 Off. I wonder if it's because the clangs and whoops were traditionally used when a contestant won the maximum prize associated with a cash game, but here it's a single prize that's either won or lost.

The other possibility is that $10,000 just isn't a lot of money anymore, but it stays with Grand Game out of tradition.

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:25:00 AM »
I think now it's just tradition with Grand Game.The other "big cash" games seem to be random for some reason. I don't remember the clangs and whoops when the $20,000 is won on Hot Seat, but I have heard it when the $16,000 is won on It's In the Bag, and they even have once used an old "Fun House" Power Prize cue for a win on Bag. Punchy has definitely done the clangs and whoops, 1/2 Off hasn't, and Time is Money has done it. Obviously, I don't think we'll ever know about Plinko.

Personally, I think all of those "big cash" games should do the clangs and whoops when the top prize is won.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 01:47:49 PM »
They should definitely be used whenever Triple Play or Golden Road are won.

Offline LoyalFriendAndTrue

• Outside in Line
  • Spinnin' That Wheel
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »
These sounds are the main reason Grand Game is one of my big favorites! I definitely like the whoop a smidge better than the clang though if I'm being honest.

Whoop! Haha

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
As far as the clangs & whoops, I think they're great, but on $OTC (when the champion wins everything), Scrabble (when the Scrabble Sprint is won), and Dream House (when the winning 3 digit number unlocks the Dream House for the couple, or if the couple who've been champions win the main game by being in the lead at the end of the 2nd round) the "alarm" sound they use is a bunch of sirens & a constant ringing bell, which I love.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 02:10:37 AM »
I like when they played the dings, clangs, and whoops for Grand Game and Showcase Showdown money spins.  Often back then, they clangs and whoops would fade out and the regular winning bells would continue.  I feel like the clangs and whoops should be used for a $10,000 Half Off win, same with Plinko if someone ever wins $50,000.  (Closest to Plinko perfection I remember was a contestant hitting the big money slot 4 out of 5 times circa 1991 (just before the board's color scheme was updated)).