Author Topic: Greatest contestants of all time?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
Greatest contestants of all time?
« on: July 11, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »
Mine would be Ken Jennings,  Cheryl Reinwand, Keefe Ferrandini, Chuck Forrest and Brad Rutter.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Greatest contestants of all time?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »
In terms of game shows in general, I’m thinking of Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, Thom McKee, Curtis Warren, etc.

In terms of The Price is Right, Adam Rose, Michael Haynes, Cynthia Acevedo, and Vicky-Ann Sadowski come to mind.

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:32:35 PM »
I wasn't born during Thom McKee's reign on TTD, but i do remember seeing it on GSN.

A lot of these i've seen either on GSN or YouTube, actually, expect for Ken Jennings.

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:43 PM »
Curtis is definitely one i'd add to my list.  Barbara Phillips and Rani White too. Another one i didn't mention was Natalie Steele(biggest Password winner, until the Million dollar format.) A Pyramid player i forgot to mention was Carrie Etheridge, who was the last winner of the 100k version with Dick Clark. Kris McDermont is also another one i'd add too(when John Davidson hosted.)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:11 PM »
I would add to the list Scrabble's Jacqui Caulkin; not only retiring undefeated but being absolutely dominant in doing so (notably of course while setting the all time 4 word Scrabble Sprint time record) certainly counts for something. 

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »
I thought this was 'greatest TPIR contestants of all time.'  A reasonable presumption, since this is a TPIR board.

As far as any 'it should have been obvious to you because this is a non-TPIR discussion section" responses, I access new posts via the "Show unread posts since last visit" link, so I'm only looking at thread titles and not the categories in which they were posted.

May I respectfully suggest this thread be re-titled "Greatest game show contestants of all time?" to eliminate any confusion in the future?  I'm sure I'm not the only one who might have gotten the wrong impression.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Online GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:26 PM »
How about Taylor from 2008?

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 10:54:07 PM »
I would say my favorite contestants are Thom McKee, Hal Shear, Ken Jennings, Michael Larson, Michael Hanes, and Joe Dunn.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 05:36:40 PM »
Alice Conkright

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
Alice Conkright

She's pretty much the female equivalent of Ken Jennings.

Even though they didn't win the top prize, I have to say Phil Gibbons and Ogi Ogas from Millionaire.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »
If we expand to look at non-US game shows, quite a few contestants from the notoriously difficult UK game Countdown compete for the title:

http://wiki.apterous.org/Dylan_Taylor

http://wiki.apterous.org/Conor_Travers

http://wiki.apterous.org/Zarte_Siempre

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »
If we're expanding beyond the US, you have to include the current champions on the Spanish version of "Boom!": Los Lobos.

Unlike our version, Spain's Boom! has two teams of four playing against each other for the right to play for a massive cash jackpot. If the jackpot isn't won, the winning team returns the next day and the jackpot gets another 5,000 euros put into it. Los Lobos--José Pinto, Valentín Ferrero, Manuel Zapata and Erundino Alonso--have been on almost 270 straight shows, winning over 1.3 million euros in the process (the jackpot, which they have yet to win, is approaching 3 million euros). As of this writing, they are still the active champions.