Author Topic: "I've waited my whole life to see Bob-- er, I mean, Drew"  (Read 6990 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
Re: "I've waited my whole life to see Bob-- er, I mean, Drew"
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »
My respect for Roger takes a hit every time he allows himself to be baited by Facebook followers (and Stu Shostak, for that matter). I can’t believe he really thinks this could have been a setup by the show’s producers. They have shown on multiple occasions the respect they have for Bob.

I still get a good laugh every time I see where Roger said the coffee "crash" from earlier this season was staged.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »
This is silly. Sure, the coffee crash MIGHT have been staged to get a viral moment, and sure, they MIGHT have faked those shirts for their Instagram account, but I just don’t see why it’s prudent to worry about that when we know the lizard people are adding fluoride to our water
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 11:35:23 AM »
I think it's silly to say that everything on TPiR was organic and not "fake" in Roger's day. How many times did we see Bob laughing and joking with Janice, Holly or Rod like they were the best of friends, when we all know now that their relationship off the air was much, much different?

Game shows, by definition, are a fantasy world. Nowhere else do people have a chance to be famous and win prizes for knowing how much toothpaste costs. TPiR has always been slick, prepackaged entertainment--it may be a different kind of entertainment today, but it's never been "real."

Yes, the show is too tightly edited and less spontaneous than before, but a lot of that is due to things that were a lot different in 1972, and not necessarily in the show's control today. Fewer commercials, editing that was much more time-consuming and expensive, and Bob simply being a product of the live-TV era and being used to doing things that way.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 12:42:26 PM »
And the thing is, the target doesn't care, nor spend time analyzing, editing and pondering spontaneity. We live in a world where Instagram's "snapshots" often have more prep put into them than old-time visits to the Olan Mills portrait studio.  :-)

Just as Price in 1972 created something different for its day vis a vis the prior incarnation, that's what needed to happen again...and it has. Some of the moments will be organic, some will get a little help in the edit suite. Some will be somewhere in the middle. This is the way entertainment works today.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 12:14:46 AM »
Its just a simple joke i thought it was cute and funny.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »
Yes, the show is too tightly edited and less spontaneous than before, but a lot of that is due to things that were a lot different in 1972, and not necessarily in the show's control today. Fewer commercials, editing that was much more time-consuming and expensive, and Bob simply being a product of the live-TV era and being used to doing things that way.

QFT.

I know people make much ado about Drew & Co. not doing the show live-to-tape anymore, but good luck finding another host that could do that just as well as Bob--shows simply aren't done live anymore, and Bob had the luxury of being brought up in an era in which shows were in fact done live.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 01:11:39 PM »
shows simply aren't done live[-to-tape] anymore
I would blame Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and Deal or No Deal for having that sort of influence upon the rest of the genre.

Regardless of the era, it is much easier and less costly to record a 30-minute studio-based episode in no more than 35-40 minutes (or a 60-minute episode in no more than 65-70), rather than doing endless retakes out of a misguided sense of micromanagement which extends the recording of a single episode to multiple hours.

In that sense, I commend Roger for attempting to keep Price to the "as-live" method for as long as he could.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:16:31 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.