Author Topic: CSS15 Planned Changes  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
CSS15 Planned Changes
« on: July 20, 2018, 04:30:18 PM »
This is what I'm planning to tweak for season 15. Please voice objections here, if any.

-DISCORD BIDDING. An alternative for when the site is down, allowing for less cancelled playings. At least half of the current CSS contingent chats about the show on Discord... and after all, CSS originally was supposed to be in actual chat messages. The only disadvantage would be the group people who refuse to get on Discord on days the site is down. I don't want to inconvenience anyone in that group is strongly opposed to losing CSS playings, so please let me know.

-SHIFTING REQUIRED GAMES IN PLAYOFFS. I am planning on keeping one round of 15 games, with 10 required, and no leaderboard resets. But instead of any 10 of the 15, it would be at least 7 of the first 10, then at least 3 of the last 5. This would limit someone "coasting" to a title after a great first 10-12 games and keep things suspenseful until the final week.

Any other ideas are very welcome, too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:32:49 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
Re: CSS15 Planned Changes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
It's highly likely that I'm in the minority here, but I say fix the playoffs, namely, have the final 10 games of the season (excluding the "make good" shows) be what decides CSS
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 06:45:43 PM »
It's highly likely that I'm in the minority here, but I say fix the playoffs, namely, have the final 10 games of the season (excluding the "make good" shows) be what decides CSS

And what if one or more of the final 10 shows is pre-empted due to unforeseen circumstances? Then the playoffs would be derailed.

-SHIFTING REQUIRED GAMES IN PLAYOFFS. I am planning on keeping one round of 15 games, with 10 required, and no leaderboard resets. But instead of any 10 of the 15, it would be at least 7 of the first 10, then at least 3 of the last 5. This would limit someone "coasting" to a title after a great first 10-12 games and keep things suspenseful until the final week.

Cu did something similar when he hosted a few years ago. IIRC after 10 games the top 8 (or 10 players) moved on to the final round for 10 final games. I may have the numbers wrong but it was something like that. IMO I liked his playoff format.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
Cu did something similar when he hosted a few years ago. IIRC after 10 games the top 8 (or 10 players) moved on to the final round for 10 final games. I may have the numbers wrong but it was something like that. IMO I liked his playoff format.

Top eight, then four wild cards. I still like the idea of having a cut. You don't necessarily have to reset scores, but having a cut after ten games makes those ten feel as equally important as the last five, since there will be spots in the final round to fight for.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:52:41 PM »
I'm personally against using Discord as a backup. It essentially benefits those who use it and penalizes those that don't. I don't like missed playings, but I don't think a solution that potentially excludes part of the playing pool is a desirable one.

On another note, I'd personally like extra double score days (ala Friday) on holiday shows. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and so on. You know, the big shows. I don't have a good defense of it beyond that I think it's fun and festive to do. Nothing too gimmicky, I recall that being a problem a few years back, but just double scores to give everyone something special for the holiday.

Offline Wayoshi

• The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 09:32:38 PM »
Upon thinking about it more, there are a lot of potential loopholes in potential Discord bidding, including the case where my bot just automatically goes down a couple minutes a day to "reboot" on my hosting service. I can't control when that happens as far as I've researched.

So I think I'll just rescind that potential change. That said, if G-R.net in the future ever permanently gets the boot, I'd like to continue some form of CSS, and that could be through Discord.

Double value days right now skew the standings by giving extra weight to, essentially, a random subset of playings. If we want to do double values on every "big" show, I would probably get rid of double value Fridays in general to balance it out.

S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...