Author Topic: First visit back to TPIR since Drew took over--what can I expect?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline gaubster2

• In the Audience
I've been to two tapings--one in 2002 and one during Barker's final weeks.  We have our Priority tickets for the 1PM taping on 9/17.  What can I expect that will be different than during the Barker era?  It sounds like we will need to park at the Grove and walk to TV City.  Sounds like we won't have to wait overnight to get in since we have the Priority tickets.  Sounds like they now have tv monitors out in the line to keep folks entertained and I think I read somewhere once that there is a green screen to take photos in front of?

For anyone that has attended a Drew taping before, anything else I need to be aware of ?  Do they take your smart phones and issue a claim ticket before going into the studio like in years past, or should I just leave them in the car?  (The OCA website says no smart watches, period, and to leave them in the hotel or car.)

Thanks in advance!

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: First visit back to TPIR since Drew took over--what can I expect?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »
First off, yes, they will take your phone and give you a claim ticket to retrieve it after the taping.

With a Priority ticket, as long as you're there by 1pm, you'll be guaranteed entry. I'd say get there 1/2 hour to an hour earlier just for good line positioning (even though it makes not difference on where you may end up sitting in the studio). When you go through the gate, you'll get some paperwork to fill out. Don't know how it was in the Barker days, but it's simple stuff. Any game show appearances, initial on one of the middle pages, and then signature, date, and last four SSN digits. During this time they'll run a best of compilation video on the monitors and get your name tag. You'll hand your paperwork and ID to one of three OCA people sitting behind some showcase podiums. They'll double check that you did everything correctly and then take your picture. After that, there is indeed a green screen to take pictures in front of both by yourself and with a group if you're with one. You'll then wait on benches to be interviewed by Stan, something I'm assuming probably hasn't changed much. While you're waiting, if there's time, people with the photography company that took that green screen photo will come up to you, show you your photo(s) and ask if you want to purchase it. If you buy one right there, they'll print it out for you and you can collect it before you leave the lot. You can also wait and buy it online later, though it's $10 cheaper if you buy it there (in addition to a physical copy, they'll post the photo unwatermarked to their FB page and you can download it there).

Once you've done the interview, you'll head around to another set of benches where they'll take your phone, issue you a claim ticket, and walk you through a metal scanner. They have TVs there and once around 150 people or so have begun to file in to the area, they'll play a recent episode of the show. Having been a few weeks ago, it's more than likely going to be a show from last season. While in that area there is also food available for purchase, don't know if that was there in Barker days either. Once even more people have filed in, they'll play a warmup video featuring George and Rachel. It's a fine enough video, but it's from Season 43, so the set is noticeably different and it's missing more memorable moments from the last few seasons. They should really update it.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline gaubster2

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
Thank you!  Sounds like most everything is the same with the exception of OCA processing the paperwork, the podiums, and having a picture taken.  No food available either time I was there in the past.  We will get there early, thanks for the tip!  :)

Offline lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »
Heads up - my friend and I bought food and brought it into line when we attended last summer.  No problem doing that and it was nice to be able to snack on things during the wait time to get in.