Author Topic: Game Shows that you would like to see revived!  (Read 9574 times)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Game Shows that you would like to see revived!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 11:23:04 PM »
I would like to see the pyramid revived. That was a fun show back in the day.  I used to watch pyramid, press your luck, card sharks, jokers wild and of course price is right and still do.

Offline Roadgeek

• In the Audience
    • Home of Carolina Circle Mall
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 01:18:14 AM »
I'd really enjoy a revival of the great Nickelodeon game show Double Dare, but not like the sad attempt at "Double Dare 2000".

Offline wdm1219

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 10:21:05 PM »
I have many ideas on game show revivals and how I'd like to see them done, however due to time constraints, I'm certain my ideas would be quite difficult to implement for a 30 minute program.

I would love to see "Gambit" return.  It seems next to nobody remembers that program.  I want to do a separate post about that later.

"Gambit" had the really cool looking big cards, the set of the original was cozy to me, the game play was pretty exciting, especially when one couple froze on 20 and the other couple had a 16, and won the next card and it would be a "5" for 21.  Very exciting and unpredictable moments from that program.  I also loved the "Gambit Board" round, and when "Las Vegas Gambit" was on in 1980, I disliked it.  I disliked the "living deck" in the audience, disliked that the updated video monitor Gambit Board had only 18 cards instead of 21 (21 makes more sense after all), and loathed that they changed the end game to High Rollers end game.  Irked me big time.

I would have 2 solo players, not married couples compete.  It would be for all cash.  Each game won pays $250.  Any 21 Jackpot would start at $500 for the first match.  If nobody won it, it would go to $1,000 for the next match.  If someone won it during the match, it would remain at $1,000 until the conclusion of the match, then when a new match began, it would reset at $500.  I do not recall if the original version did it this way or not.

I would have an "Opening Gambit" bonus of $250 for the first & second game of every match.  Before the first card is shown, all 4 suits would be with the dealer on special separate cards.  The champion would select one suit, the challenger another.  If the first card shown matched the suit they chose, they win a $250 bonus right on the spot.  For game 2, the challenger would select one of the 2 remaining suits, the champ would get the last remaining suit.  If the match went to a rubber game, a game 3, no opening gambit bonuses would be made available for that game, as all 4 suits would have been used up during the first 2 games of the match.

Same general rules would apply as before, contestants can freeze on 12 or higher unless their opponent has a higher score; if one chose to not freeze, they would not have that option again until they received another card, etc.

Also 1 joker would be in the deck.  Any player who won that card could use it during match play if they received a card which would put them over 21.  That's the only time the joker could be used.  If the joker goes unplayed throughout the match, win or lose, the player who has the unused joker would win a $500 bonus.

End Game "Beat the House".  There would be a Gambit Board, but not one that concealed prizes.  This board would be divided into 4 columns and 9 rows.  The 4 column headings would have a spade, heart, club and diamond.  The 9 rows would have the numbers 12 - 20.  Each number & suit would have a different money amount.  The champ would play 4 solo hands of blackjack, they could freeze on 12, or continue to take cards.  If they go over 21 they win $0 for that hand.  The first 4 hands would build up the player's bankroll.  The 5th & final hand is the "Beat the House" hand, where regulation blackjack rules apply.  The player must bet at least half their bankroll, and are not required to make a wager until they see their 2 cards as well as the hole and up card for the house.  Then they bet based on what they have and what they think the dealer might have.  Ties are a push, no win or loss.  Also during this round, any 21 is worth $5000, but for the 5th and final hand, which is the "Beat the House" hand, if the player wins with 21 and does so with only 2 cards, they get $10,000 added to their winnings instead of $5,000.  A potential $50,000 payout each time it is played.  Kind of hard to explain using mere text, and I get the sinking feeling that this idea and these rules would be too lengthy and/or confusing, but just an idea I'm throwing out here.  5 time champions would retire, and drive home in a new automobile as well.

Anyway, that's one game I'd love to see revived, and with my rules.  A few years back I hosted a net version of the New Joker's Wild which received great reviews and accolades from the various board members of the flashgameshows.com site.

Take care all,
Bill

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »
Primetime

Who wants to be a millionaire(regis) change the money tree and set.
Weakestlink Get a good host I know anne wont come back
Greed

Daytime

Cardsharks
Match Game
Press your luck
Lets Make a Deal
Family feud ( i know its on the air but they should find a spot for it)
Block Busters
Sale of the century

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 04:46:44 PM »
I'd really like to see Match Game brought back as long as they kept the same format as the 70s version.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »
I think we are due for another Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour.

Tom Bergeron could host...
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 09:17:02 PM »
Match Game, Password, and $25,000 Pyramid. CBS could bring back Match Game as an afternoon show, say airing at 3 PM right after Guiding Light, while Password and Pyramid could air at 9 AM, the hour before Price.

These shows should all be taped in Studio 33 at CBS, because I would consider CBS the most likely candiate to even consider bringing back a daytime game show.

Sadly, though, the networks probably won't bring daytime game shows back simply because the affiliates would whine that they wouldn't have any time to air Ellen.

Offline tadixon757

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 10:41:39 PM »

tpirfan28 wrote:
I think we are due for another Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour.

Tom Bergeron could host...

I kinda agree with that....but honestly, the way I see it, as long as those two formats are owned individually by different companies (Fremantle for MG, King World for HS), there's no chance in heck of that happening for real.

I sure wouldn't mind another *stand-alone* revival of HS w/Bergeron hosting, however.
-- Thad Dixon

Offline whirlwood74

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 10:53:56 PM »
Sale of the Century is coming back to MyTV later this year as Temptation, based on the Australian revival.  What were they smoking when they picked Essai Morriale to host the show?

As for other shows I'd love to see return:  The Joker's Wild, Tic Tac Dough, The Big Showdown, and Super Millionaire.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 09:48:52 PM »
Password (definitely)
The Rich List (should have been given another chance)
Pyramid (with the old $100K tournament format)
Tic Tac Dough (Hey, they're bringing back The Joker's Wild...)
Card Sharks (late 70s/80s version)

Offline ggooden1

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 12:37:25 AM »

LiteBulb88 wrote:
My understanding about World being cancelled is that is was too successful.  The people on the show wanted more money, and this being PBS, they can't just raise rates of their commercials.  So it got replaced with that awful Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego, which only lasted a season or two.

Actually I remember emailing PBS way back in either 1996 or 1997 when the show first got cancelled. They said that there reason for replacing it with Where in Time was because they decided history was more important for kids to learn than geography. Of course, I'm sure there was likely more to it than just that such as wanting more money as you mentioned.

Offline SafeCrackers84

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
Sale of the Century would be great to see back...I vaguely remember seeing reruns. From what I've read and seen, the bonus round format really hurt the US version in the 1980s.

I think the show could work today, if they brought back a modified version of the "Shopping" bonus. It would kind of combine the first and last versions of the bonus round. The champion gets to answer as many questions as they can in 2 minutes. Questions are worth significantly more, however ($20-$40 each). The catch is if the contestant gives 3 wrong answers, they lose all money accumulated in the bonus. However, they can "cash out" at any time and buy what they want with their winnings (as in the Shopping round, huge prizes come at discounted prices, like $500 for the car). It brings back the "buy now or save for later" question from shopping, but it doesn't take 6 shows to get interesting. It kind of borrows from the Winning Lines bonus round as well, but without the huge Wonder Wall.

Just my two cents.

Offline dunph

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »
Here were a couple of game shows, I would like to see again:

"Pay Cards", that was an old Art James game show, where contestants, had to make 5 card hand, a pair, 2 pair, 3 of a kind, full house, etc.  

I don't know if this will work, "Double Dare".  They recently had this, a couple of weeks for a two hour special on GSN, the old Alex Trebek, with two contestants in sound proof booths, show them 10 clues, to the identity of a person, place or thing, and try to guess the subject. Winner plays 3 "Spoilers", PhD's, and the PhD's have to try to guess the subject, from 8 clues given by the champion.

I also wish they would bring back "College Bowl", one of the great Sunday afternoon traditions, when Allen Ludden and Robert Earle hosted, and do it during the school year.

One show I don't want to see is:
"The New Treasure Hunt", the old Chuck Barris masscare, with Geoff Edwards as host, and women as contestant trying to find a check for $25,000.  They was a lousy version.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »

tadixon757 wrote:

I sure wouldn't mind another *stand-alone* revival of HS w/Bergeron hosting, however.

I actually liked the Bergeron version of HS (98-04), it was about the one game show I would watch religiously on weeknights (before it got moved to early afternoons on the Buffalo NBC affiliate).  I even made a web site about it - I even got to interview a couple of past contestants!  And another past contestant sent me pictures to use.  Check it out at http://mystica401.50webs.com/hollywoodsquares
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 05:11:14 PM »
Super Password-Sure would love to.

Card Sharks-Makie it look like CARD SHARKS, too.

Press Your Luck-"Whammy!" may have looked fine, but it could've used some improvements.

Tic Tac Dough-Please no "rappin' dragon"!!

Scrabble-Fun show from "Back in my day" and still has potentials for a revival. (I did'nt see a lot of the 1993 revival.)