Author Topic: Best closing moments on game shows  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best closing moments on game shows
« on: September 03, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
If you ask me, there are some game shows that have some really great closing moments

For starters, on TPiR, if there's a showcase winner at the end of the show (or in some instances, a double showcase winner), the parting shot is one of the contestant with their family & friends, Drew (and in the past, Bob), the models, and George Gray (used to be either Rod Roddy or Rich Fields) on the set, and the contestant is checking out the prizes they've won

PYL: There's a clip on YT where Peter reads a poem or two about the whammies, and then there's a shot of some of the lights dancing to the music. Then, there's multiple shots of the big board, and the contestants, and throughout the whole thing, you get to hear most of the main theme followed by the tail end of the theme, and then a partial change of the theme. (They should've had the PRESS YOUR LUCK logo turning each word on one by one as done in the intro)

Scrabble: I know in some instances, after Chuck says goodbye, he's standing with the contestant right below the Scrabble logo, and nearly all the lights turn off. In every instance I've seen, shortly after the fee plugs are shown, what you see is a dark shot of the studio, but then, sometimes right before the Reg Grundy logo (with the fanfare) appears on screen, the cube is rotating, and the platform on the left is turning to either reveal where the contestants sit, or the podiums for the Scrabble Sprint.

Let me know if you find any other closing moments interesting.....

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Best closing moments on game shows
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
Interesting, but not in a good way: Face the Music. Notice the screen will suddenly jump cut to the Sandy Frank productions screen, with the same background every single time! It’s like Ron Ely can move from one side of the stage to the other in a split second!

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »
Barry and Enright had some good ones on theirs, like on TTD w/Wink Martindale, wherein after Jay Stewart (or whatever announcer) read the fee plugs, Wink would be standing beside the players' podiums, talking to the players while the closing theme was playing; he would usually have a hat on (in one of many outrageous and intriguing designs) on Fridays. As he was standing there talking and the closing music was playing, there would be the usual lists of people who paid or received fees for promotion on the program, and also those who furnished prizes for free or at less than retail value for promotion, plus any applicable disclaimers about prize unavailability or editing of the show, and contestants being told about the rules and having to meet eligibility requirements.

There would also be the "With" credit identifying the host (here, Wink Martindale), and then Jay (or whatever announcer) would say "Tic Tac Dough is a Jack Barry and Dan Enright Production," followed by Wink's Botany 500 wardrobe credit (or "Mr. Martindale's," per the credits), the Colbert Television Sales distribution credit, and finally the TTD title and copyright.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
I must say for their time, TTD & TJW not only had the best themes (among TPiR and other shows), they also had some of the best prize music cues I've ever heard.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 10:22:12 PM »
Barry and Enright had some good ones on theirs, like on TTD w/Wink Martindale, wherein after Jay Stewart (or whatever announcer) read the fee plugs, Wink would be standing beside the players' podiums, talking to the players while the closing theme was playing; he would usually have a hat on (in one of many outrageous and intriguing designs) on Fridays. As he was standing there talking and the closing music was playing, there would be the usual lists of people who paid or received fees for promotion on the program, and also those who furnished prizes for free or at less than retail value for promotion, plus any applicable disclaimers about prize unavailability or editing of the show, and contestants being told about the rules and having to meet eligibility requirements.

There would also be the "With" credit identifying the host (here, Wink Martindale), and then Jay (or whatever announcer) would say "Tic Tac Dough is a Jack Barry and Dan Enright Production," followed by Wink's Botany 500 wardrobe credit (or "Mr. Martindale's," per the credits), the Colbert Television Sales distribution credit, and finally the TTD title and copyright.
In other words "the closing credits..." ?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 10:41:29 PM »
In other words "the closing credits..." ?
Pretty much.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 11:23:47 PM »
Pat and Vanna's chats at the end of Wheel of Fortune have gotten unfunny and dull other than a good one here and there the past few seasons, but of course there's been many classic moments in their end-of-show chats. I like that they still do their chat at the end as a classic element of the show still done today.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »
Scrabble: I know in some instances, after Chuck says goodbye, he's standing with the contestant right below the Scrabble logo, and nearly all the lights turn off. In every instance I've seen, shortly after the fee plugs are shown, what you see is a dark shot of the studio, but then, sometimes right before the Reg Grundy logo (with the fanfare) appears on screen, the cube is rotating, and the platform on the left is turning to either reveal where the contestants sit, or the podiums for the Scrabble Sprint.

I always liked how Chuck and the contestant walked over to the audience and spoke to them; during long credit days they'd even get shots of some of the audience members (a rare occasion on an NBC Burbank-based game show).

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
Interesting, but not in a good way: Face the Music. Notice the screen will suddenly jump cut to the Sandy Frank productions screen, with the same background every single time! It’s like Ron Ely can move from one side of the stage to the other in a split second!

That always bugged me that it wasn't changed at all.  They changed the beginning footage halfway through the first season, but never changed the ending.  You would think they would have stopped doing that especially when Ron and the contestant would walk over to the orchestra area at the end of every show during the second season.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 07:01:05 AM »
I always liked how Chuck and the contestant walked over to the audience and spoke to them; during long credit days they'd even get shots of some of the audience members (a rare occasion on an NBC Burbank-based game show).

I agree, but my favorite part of this is that sometimes if the Scrabble Sprint was won, they'd have the theme playing while the alarms were going off in addition to Chuck & the contestant talking to the audience. I know that if I had been in charge of the whole Scrabble show, I'd make it an automatic requirement for the alarms to keep going while the theme is playing before the Reg Grundy logo appeared with the fanfare. Love those special alarms in addition to the Clangs/Whoops they use on TPiR. I've noticed that the alarms on  TPiR would play for a number of cycles before Bob, or Drew would say goodbye. That one Million Dollar Spectacular episode where the contestant won $1M in addition to both showcases was sooooooooooooooooooooo awesome.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 09:58:09 AM »
That one Million Dollar Spectacular episode where the contestant won $1M in addition to both showcases was sooooooooooooooooooooo awesome.

There were TWO episodes where the contestant won both showcases and a $1 million bonus. Both of the contestants’ reactions were completely epic.

Offline Johnnya2k4

• Walking the Golden Road
    • The AllenBlog
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 10:40:39 PM »
In the early years of Family Feud, Richard Dawson chatted with the winning family on their podiums while Gene Wood said his closing spiel; it later moved to center stage and would become the norm ever since.

Speaking of Scrabble...they, Sale of the Century, and Time Machine all started their end credits with the copyright notice followed by the fee plugs.

And yes, who could ever forget the closing kiss on The Dating Game?

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 11:23:34 PM »
I agree, but my favorite part of this is that sometimes if the Scrabble Sprint was won, they'd have the theme playing while the alarms were going off in addition to Chuck & the contestant talking to the audience. I know that if I had been in charge of the whole Scrabble show, I'd make it an automatic requirement for the alarms to keep going while the theme is playing before the Reg Grundy logo appeared with the fanfare. Love those special alarms in addition to the Clangs/Whoops they use on TPiR. I've noticed that the alarms on  TPiR would play for a number of cycles before Bob, or Drew would say goodbye. That one Million Dollar Spectacular episode where the contestant won $1M in addition to both showcases was sooooooooooooooooooooo awesome.

I awlays liked the Grundy fanfare back then. That's one thing i miss from daytime TV today.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:29:55 PM by danderson400 »

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 11:43:41 AM »
On TPIR, if the show ended in a Double-Overbid, Bob/Drew would go into the audience and thank them in person for coming to see the show. This helped the viewers at home take their mind off the fact that an unwanted outcome had just occurred.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
On TPIR, if the show ended in a Double-Overbid, Bob/Drew would go into the audience and thank them in person for coming to see the show. This helped the viewers at home take their mind off the fact that an unwanted outcome had just occurred.

And IIRC, Tom Kennedy did the same on his nighttime syndie in 1985-86.