Author Topic: 2018 NFL Season  (Read 35224 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
2018 NFL Season
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:47:00 AM »
Takeaways from the first game from last night: Atlanta picks up where they left off last year--unable to score a TD inside the 20 when they need to (4th and goal from the two, they go for it and they get stuffed). I could blame Dan Quinn and Steve Sarkisian's play-calling, but major props to Philadelphia, not only for keeping Atlanta in check throughout but also not getting unraveled when they were behind. That "Philly Special" play just flummoxed Atlanta.

Experts keep saying the Falcons have Super Bowl-caliber personnel. If they keep playing like they did last night, they'll be watching the Super Bowl from section HD.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:49:12 AM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2018 NFL Season
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »
My preliminary guess for Super Bowl LIII would be a Saints-Steelers rematch from their scheduled late season encounter--this is, though, contingent on Pittsburgh eventually getting Le'Veon Bell on the field.  If not, then New England would again become the AFC favorite.  A Patriots-Eagles rematch could also be in the cards, particularly if Wentz does pick up where he left off when he comes back, now appearing to be at some point in October (which is fine by me, as best to keep him healthy for the next 10 years than risk a rush job that goes wrong).  The Rams and Vikings could also be major NFC contenders, while the Jaguars and Chargers could be AFC challengers as well. 

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 04:21:46 PM »
Horrible game. If this is what the NFL has become then I will stick to college and the CFL. Way too many penalties.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »
You got that right. 26 penalties is ridiculous.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 09:34:29 PM »
Not only that, to add insult to injury, there was a weather delay before the game even started. That affected the ratings for the NFL kickoff opener, making it the lowest since 2008.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 01:17:03 AM »
At this rate (not mentioning the national anthem fiasco), the chances of the Houston Texans participating in the Super Bowl continue to be slimmer...it would take a miracle at this rate, even though J.J. Watt is no longer on the sidelines recovering from his back injury.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 05:01:38 AM »
Disband the team. Cleveland played Pittsburgh to a 21-21 sister kisser.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »
Atlanta beats Carolina, 31-24 (first win overall for Atlanta in '18). Matt Ryan has two rushing TDs in addition to two passing TDs.

Tampa Bay beats Philadelphia...WHAAAAAAAT?!

At current (5:40 PM ET), Jacksonville is leading New England...WHAAAAAAAT?! (Don't expect it to last.)
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
At current (5:40 PM ET), Jacksonville is leading New England...WHAAAAAAAT?! (Don't expect it to last.)

Dunno, Jacksonville still seems solid this year.

Anyway, the Redskins came home and promptly got run over by a team flat playing better. It was classic Redskins strategy: Play and settle for field goals while your opponent scores touchdowns. What a let down after last week, or maybe the Cardinals are that bad.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
Yeah, I may be selling the Jags short; they scored again before halftime. Let’s see how New England responds.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 06:53:19 PM »
Lawdy, two straight weeks with a sister kisser. Minnesota and Green Bay end up 29-29.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 07:14:42 PM »
Yeah, I really dislike shortening OT to 10 minutes for exactly this reason. It makes it more likely a tie happens.

Frankly if they want to do college style OT, just do it. That or go back to how they used to do OT for so long.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »
And yes, I dine on roast crow again with my call on Jacksonville. They end New England’s 21-Game winning streak against the AFC South.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 08:18:33 PM »
Hue Jackson has to be the first coach fired this season. Just pathetic.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
So much for the Giants revamped O-line  :roll:
CSS XIII Silver Medalist