Author Topic: Picking The Audience For 'The Price is Right' Is A Weird Job  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Picking The Audience For 'The Price is Right' Is A Weird Job
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
Whoever this is, he's getting his stories crossed up -- there's only four daytime shows that haven't been aired, and none of them were scrapped for the reason given here.  (Actually, one wasn't "scrapped" at all -- it was a half-hour show taped for Season 7 that they ended up never needing.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
"Ned" is Stan Blitz, as far as I've heard.  There was a book he co-wrote with Bob Barker in which the 5-10 second interviews with Stan were called the "Stanish Inquisition".

On another note, I was a little surprised about "Woo" noises disqualifying you as a contestant.  (Terry Crews would never make it on the show :) )
(jots down mental note for future BBS trip)

Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:32:03 AM »
Does anyone else who's been to an actual taping think this whole thing is made up?

I don't ever remember anyone being drunk in line (although I haven't been to a taping in 9 years and 353 days...) And flashing the pages or the staff?

They DO keep records on people who were chosen to be contestants, yet the article says they don't.

I find it hard to believe that 500 people showed up on a non-taping day. If that had happened, those people would have all had guest passes (which encouraged people to call ahead to make sure the show was taping on the day they were planning to attend) and/or some of them would have expected to get in without tickets.

Maybe Scott can weigh in on this since he was a page for a while.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »
They are also somewhat incorrect with the 1950's Quiz Show Scandals. "The $64,000 Question" was just part of the cascade led by "Dotto" and "Twenty-One".

"Cracked" isn't exactly hard journalism. It's like a 4-page mimeographed high school "newspaper".

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 12:05:59 PM »
They are also somewhat incorrect with the 1950's Quiz Show Scandals. "The $64,000 Question" was just part of the cascade led by "Dotto" and "Twenty-One".
Dotto being the originator of that cascade, without which no one would have ever taken the accusations of Herb Stempel seriously. The $64,000 Challenge and Tic-Tac-Dough were also part of the cascade.

And speaking of which...
That's because in the 1950s, there was a huge quiz show called The $64,000 Question, which turned out to be rigged (one contestant got all the answers in advance).
Aside from this not quite being how the show was rigged, the writer attempts to condense the linked article about the scandals into a single sentence and does so rather poorly.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
Does anyone else who's been to an actual taping think this whole thing is made up?

I find it hard to believe that 500 people showed up on a non-taping day. If that had happened, those people would have all had guest passes (which encouraged people to call ahead to make sure the show was taping on the day they were planning to attend) and/or some of them would have expected to get in without tickets.

More to the point, does anyone believe there could have been a literal riot at Television City requiring a police response at any point in the history of the show, and we’d never heard of it before? And it evidently wasn’t covered on the news in a city where the local stations send up helicopters to cover busted fire hydrants? Total BS. Even the Vegas ticketing screwup wasn’t that dramatic (and it still got a lot of news coverage).

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 02:32:42 PM »
I was only a page for about a cumulative year (between 2003 and 2004). After that, my jobs took me away from the audience side of the production. But based on my experiences, a lot of this sounds fabricated (my first reaction: "How come nobody ever flashed me?").

Note the contradictory quotes: "I'm not saying getting drunk will guarantee you a seat, but it can help" and "People would line up at 4 a.m. or camp out the night before and make it their entire day, and those who came at 7 or 8 we would have to turn away." The latter could actually be true (at least, during the later Barker years while I was there). I'm not great at determining when people are intoxicated, but if it happened, it certainly wasn't rampant.

Other parts of the article that I find suspect:

Who's offering actual reasons to audience members as to why they didn't get selected as contestants? If you're a page, you don't know why the producers didn't pick someone. If you're a producer (or on the staff assisting the producer), then you know better than to say something as specific and unhelpful as "It's because you said 'Woo.'"

As Ted pointed out, why would 500 people show up on a day when there weren't any tapings scheduled?

There wouldn't be a mass panic in the control room if the wrong contestant went onstage because Bob misheard a bid. Especially not if they caught it during the act in which it happened. They certainly wouldn't proceed with the show anyway and then decide to not air the episode after the fact. Heck, we've seen what happens when the wrong contestant plays a game onstage.

And, of course, the ever-present use of "Showcase Showdown" instead of "Showcase."
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »
plus it's Cracked, not exactly the likes of Wall Street Journal