Author Topic: Evening/P.M. Magazine  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Evening/P.M. Magazine
« on: June 03, 2006, 04:44:42 PM »
While browsing The 80s TV Theme SuperSite, I came across this interesting page about a news magazine program called Evening/P.M. Magazine.  I've read further information on it, and the concept was truly genuine, involving national segements plus local segments produced by the individual affiliates airing the show.  J-Shea.com features a clip of an interview with Janice, Dian, and Holly; and I was very impressed of the quality of the interview, especially with the method of presentation.

This is really quite a random question, but does anybody here know anything more about the Evening/P.M. Magazine, and might be able to provde a little more information and insight?  I know I don't typically ask these kinds of things, but I am very curious to know more about this program, plus find some episodes if somehow possible.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Evening/P.M. Magazine
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 12:08:41 AM »
WNEP-16 in Scranton aired it during the mid 80s at 7.  I really don't remember any specifics, but I can vaguely recall profiles of state parks in the area.  There's pictures of the local hosts at <www.carlabraham.com/wnep>.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 12:51:22 AM »
This local magazine program was created at KPIX-TV/San Francisco in 1976. In April 1977, sister station WBZ-TV/Boston launched its own Evening Magazine, using the same format and music and animation packages. The three other Group W stations -- KYW-TV/Philadelphia, WJZ-TV/Baltimore, and KDKA-TV/Pittsburg -- started their own versions soon thereafter. The show aired at 7:30 weeknights on all five stations.

I think it was in the fall of 1978 when Group W franchised the show to stations in other markets. It was called PM Magazine on the non-Group W stations.

Each franchise would send its better stories and "tips" segments to the National Office at KPIX. The best of these were placed on a weekly national reel that was provided to each Evening/PM station. Stations produced about half of each show locally, with the remainder coming from the national reel.

The franchise was especially strong during the early 1980s. At its peak, I think there were over 110 stations producing their own Evening/PM.

Evening/PM had a long, successful run, earned many industry awards, prompted many imitators (i.e., Real People, That's Incredible, The World of People), and launched the careers of many celebrities (such as Mary Hart, who co-hosted the Los Angeles PM Magazine during the early '80s.)

KingWorld, successor to Group W Productions, today owns the show's tape library.
http://www.kingworld.com/licensing/generic.html

Offline OneDollarBob

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 01:42:17 AM »
Wow, TVC, thanx for all that info.  As a kid in the '80s, I fondly recall Mary Hart on 'PM Magazine' and all the local interest stories.  Another great artifact from the past.

Offline Vexorg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 03:01:53 AM »
KING-TV (Channel 5 NBC) in Seattle still does a weekly show called Evening Magazine (and also broadcasts it on Northwest Cable News, which they are affiliated with.)  As far as I am aware, that show is a completely in-house production, but the format is very similar to what you describe.  Here is the website for the show:

http://www.king5.com/eveningmagazine/

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 03:19:21 AM »
KING-TV produced PM Magazine for years. After Group W pulled the plug on Evening/PM in late 1990, the station continued the local show on its own under the name Evening Magazine. It's a great show on a great station!

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 05:37:11 PM »
WAGA/ch. 5 in Atlanta did their PM Magazine in the fall of 1978 and used two of their news staff personalities to host it.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne