Author Topic: Attending a show? Here's what to expect.  (Read 6484 times)

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: Attending a show? Here's what to expect.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
They are watching people in the audience (again) to look at the number--this lets them know where their contestants are sitting so the camera crew knows where to be pointing one of the cameras when that person is called.
I strongly disagree with this practice -- part of the fun of Price was that when contestants were called, the cameramen had to look for that person, on occasion resulting in the player already being in Contestant's Row by the time they appeared on-camera.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
I believe over the years, they've gotten pretty good with knowing where the next player is. The panning camera is more for show. They know where they ultimately have to be.

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 05:05:07 AM »
Here's another webpage filled with tips on how to be picked and what the coordinators look for:
https://www.thoughtco.com/price-is-right-tickets-1396527
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
Here's another webpage filled with tips on how to be picked and what the coordinators look for:
https://www.thoughtco.com/price-is-right-tickets-1396527

Nope.  None of that at all on that page.

Eddie, you don't need to link to every article about the show in existence.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
Fair enough, but that still doesn't say anything very insightful.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline gaubster2

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 12:31:03 PM »
They pick the contestants based upon the interview in line.  NOT "after" entering the studio.  It's always been this way. 

Offline gameshowqueen

• Outside in Line
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »
Hi there!
I have been looking for something like this for a while now to get to connect with other TPIR fans! So exciting!
I saw that people have been asking for how it really goes when you're at a show and how to get picked, so I'll just tell you how my experience went. The show I was on taped on August 11, 2016 and it aired November 4, 2016.

THE LINE
I just had regular tickets, not priority, and I'm not sure if it was my sheer excitement in being there (This was literally a dream come true for me just to attend a taping since I'm not from LA) or what, but the casting directors put me in the priority line, so my friend and I ended up being 19th and 20th in line. You go through and sign some confidentiality documents and they give you your name tag right away, which was very exciting. My one regret was not going to the store that is there...if you see people with those black Price is Right shirts, they're from that store. They take your picture and then sit you in another section to wait. It really is a lot of waiting.

THE INTERVIEW/TIPS ON GETTING PICKED
After waiting for a while there, they bring you up in groups of 25 for the interviews. It's one guy who interviews everyone in the audience. He has an assistant who writes stuff down for him. I was in the very first group of interviewees. As soon as he comes out, he brings the energy WAY up! He expects you to match his energy, as he is looking for people who would be enthusiastic. He pretty much asks two basic questions: Where are you from and what do you do? However, he asks follow-up questions to those he is interested in.
As he was going down the line, I truly was just so excited to be there, and it showed. As soon as he said "Hi," to me, I immediately responded with an enthusiastic, "HI!" That got his attention right away. I talked about how I had recently graduated from college to be a teacher, we talked about what grades I wanted to teach, and then he had told me that I mustn't have had lots of time to watch since I was in school. It was then that I brought up that I actually scheduled my classes around watching TPIR, which three of my friends and I all actually did. He paused and laughed and said, "Good answer!" I saw the girl writing stuff down. I knew I had a good chance at that point.
I thought the lady who was behind me had a shot, too, but she was TOO eager. Her shirt said, "Stan's the man," (the guy who interviews everyone), and you could tell she was trying really hard to impress him. I also saw other people who claimed they auditioned many times and never made it on, but they didn't seem the least bit excited to be there. My best advice is to show your excitement but to also be yourself. You have such a short time to impress him. When he starts cheering, YOU need to start cheering. And keep that energy up the whole time.
After the audition, you watch a video, you can eat food, and you wait a lot more. The moment you get to go into the studio, the excitement will flood back! They seat you randomly and as we were seated, they were looking around the audience for the people they called to see where to aim the camera.

THE SHOW
For the life of me, I still don't know how they pick the order of who gets picked. Obviously it's not based on who they interview first, since I was in the first group and I was the 6th one called.
When I got in there, they had music playing, and I was just so pumped that I started dancing. It was part an adrenaline high from being up since 4:30 am out of excitement, but it was also just such a POSITIVE atmosphere! The audience genuinely roots for one another. And Drew is an awesome host! He interacts with the audience every break and does stand up. And the show really does go nearly as quickly as it airs! We only had to reshoot a few things in the showcases.
Once the 5th person was called and it wasn't me, I figured I didn't make it, and I decided I was going to have a great time, regardless. Then the commercial break ended and I saw my name on this huge board and FREAKED OUT! I couldn't believe it was real!!! When I got onstage, it was even crazier, and when I won my game, my mind couldn't handle anything. It was the best day of my life.

I hope this helped!