Author Topic: September 13, 1993  (Read 5712 times)

Offline OneBidTris

• FPG Host
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
September 13, 1993
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
The 22nd season premiere. Unseen by most, until today:

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: September 13, 1993
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
Wow, I never thought we'd see this since its original broadcast over 25 years ago which was mostly preempted, likely due to coverage of the signing of the Oslo Accords. Major kudos to David Downs for uploading it to YouTube.

I was surprised that the set wasn't more decorated. There were enough balloons and streamers on the turntable and in between the doors, but not much else. Notably, they did not reuse the "2xst/th Year Celebration" decorations that were used in the Season 20 and 21 premieres, and would be reused for Seasons 23 and 24. Curiously, the cake at the end has "22nd Year Celebration" in the same style as those other seasons' decorations, which makes me wonder why the decorations weren't put up.

It was really cool to see Cover Up introduced in the manner it was. Usually, we'd see the prize first, then Bob would announce the new game, unless the game was designed to be introduced first from the get-go. Giving Cover Up its own introduction made viewers focus on the new game and ponder what it could be played for.

Also, while a minivan was a bit nicer than the economy and midsize cars that were normally offered on the show, I was expecting a luxury car to start the season off with a bang.

It's unfortunate that James lost Cover Up on its first playing. Even more painful was hearing the foghorn for a loss rather than the buzzer that we'd see in future playings.

Sandy was very lucky to punch out the $500+Second Chance for her third punch. Under this distribution, $750 is not a bad haul.

Eva was fun to watch, especially when she came onto the turntable. Her facial reactions to the greenhouse were hilarious. You'd think this was a three-car day! She moved the sliders in Make Your Move in a similarly funny way and it paid off! It's a shame she did not advance to the showcase.

It was great to see Carolyn win Money Game, especially after El Cheapo (or La Cheapa) did not contain the back end of the car.

I laughed at Rod's and Bob's banter about non-loyal viewers winning cars before the sixth item up for bids. It seems Rod is a repo man in his spare time.

The showcases were somewhat stocked with great prizes for a season premiere-a piano and a Dodge Stealth in showcase #1. I wish showcase #2 was equally loaded.

It took 25 years, but this episode was worth the wait. We finally have some questions answered about Cover Up's debut, and how the show began its first season after Mark Goodson's death and Dian's departure.

Here's hoping more rarities from the show make their way onto YouTube and other mediums-notably the original Penny Ante or full early playings of Cliff Hangers.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:48:46 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
After 25 years, we finally get to see it! My recap is available here.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 04:47:59 PM »
To be perfectly honest, nothing much stood out about this episode except for the early reveal of Cover Up and Eva being...well...kind of nuts. :)  I honestly don't think it lived up to the hype it had engendered by being a pre-empted season premiere...but then, being a pre-empted season premiere is pretty much the reason for the hype, so there wasn't really a way around that.

Even so, it was neat to finally be able to see it after all this time.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:39:38 PM »
IIRC, there were a handful of markets in the Eastern Time Zone that aired TPIR at 10:00am during the 1993-94 season.  I know that Buffalo was one of them, as this did air on schedule in Western New York and much of Greater Toronto excluding the far northwestern reaches of the latter market near Wiarton, Wasaga Beach, and Collingwood.  Anyone else know of other markets in the US where TPIR aired at 10am Eastern, which would've seen this episode on 9/13/1993??

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 01:39:13 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Cover Up looked better with the red neon instead of blue?
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Cover Up looked better with the red neon instead of blue?

Nope. I liked it better as well. I believe the red neon lasted just 2 playings, am I correct?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 03:18:21 PM »
The red lights lasted through at least October 13, 1993, which was Cover Up's fifth playing (our own temptation1979ga had this playing up on YouTube many years ago). By November 8, 1993, Cover Up's eighth playing, the blue lights were in place.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 04:29:40 PM »
I'm glad that they made the change from the red lights to the blue lights. Also, I agree with goldroadfanatic that it was cool to see Cover Up introduced the way it was. This is a bit off-topic, but can anybody else think of another instance when a brand new pricing game was shown before the main prize (excluding, of course, those instances in which a given pricing game was/is routinely shown prior to the main prize)?

Apart from the red lights and the unique introduction, another thing that stood out to me was how Bob explained the rules of the game. Bob accurately told the contestant that he needed to cover up the each of wrong digits with the possible choices located on the game board. What he didn't say (at least initially), however, was that the contestant would get another chance so long as at least one number was correct. (In fairness to Bob, he did allude to that rule after the contestant took his second and final turn.) Unlike Drew, Bob almost always explained every rule of the game to the contestant prior to the start of the game. Thus, I was surprised that Bob did not mention this before the contestant began the game.

Of course, even if Bob had fully explained every rule of Cover Up prior to the start of the game, it's doubtful that the outcome of the first Cover Up playing would have been different. Obviously, contestants who are the first to play new games are at a disadvantage compared to contestants who play games they've seen many times before. Also, even though Cover Up has been played for a quarter-century, there are still many people who don't realize that the best strategy for winning the game is to purposefully get some of the numbers in the car wrong the first time (so as to have as many turns as possible).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:36:16 PM by BonusShell »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
I think Bob's explanation intended to encourage the contestant to try and get as many numbers right on the first try like many pricing games, since the show rewards smart shoppers. If a contestant has only some of the numbers right after the first guess, Bob presented that part of the game similar to a second chance to win the car.

Since Drew became host, contestants are now encouraged to pick out the numbers they feel are correct, with the knowledge that as long as they have at least one new number correct on each guess, they can keep playing. This might make the contestants feel more comfortable, since they don't have to play to perfection, and it allows them to employ strategy (such as missing the first number deliberately if they feel they know the second number). We've seen several contestants from the last 11 years end up in "Automatic Win" situations where the last remaining number in a column is correct by default, and that was the last number the contestant needed to complete the car's price.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:43:12 PM by goldroadfanatic »

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 08:03:52 PM »
The red lights lasted through at least October 13, 1993, which was Cover Up's fifth playing (our own temptation1979ga had this playing up on YouTube many years ago). By November 8, 1993, Cover Up's eighth playing, the blue lights were in place.

I can confirm that October 25th is the first playing of Cover Up with the blue lights. That day, the game’s lights flashed on and off throughout the contestant’s first turn, even after the buzzer sounded, indicating her first guess was wrong, confusing everyone momentarily.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 09:26:05 PM »

It's hard to see from the quality of the copy of the episode I have but here's a screenshot from the October 13, 1993 episode. The blue lights are in place. I'm not sure if this was the first playing with them as there are three other playings between this one and the premiere and this is the earliest playing I have in my collection.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »
My bad, I remember the playing with the red lights Carlos uploaded had a Plymouth Sundance Duster as the prize, which this playing had, too, per the recap, and I was confused when I read it and posted above.

So, the blue lights were in place by at least the fifth playing, on October 13, 1993.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:44:41 PM by goldroadfanatic »

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 09:57:32 PM »
Sorry, I was going off the post I referenced above.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 10:17:05 PM »
Ok, I went back episode by episode and checked the tapes to make sure this time.

September 13- red lights

September 22- still has red lights

September 30- first playing with blue lights.

Possibly the only playing where Bob forgot to reveal the price?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:27:09 PM by temptation1979ga »