Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/17/2018 (TPiR Season 47 Premiere)  (Read 13913 times)

Offline The Last Outlaw

• In the Audience
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/17/2018 (TPiR Season 47 Premiere)
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 02:32:55 PM »
Allergy relief for $18.99. I am an idiot.

You made a mistake.  There's a difference between making a mistake and being an idiot. 

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
What was the significance of the number 8 in the increased Showcase Showdown bonuses?

Has anyone come close yet? I think I recall someone bailing out with a winning solution to a hard setup, but I could be wrong on that.

Way back in 2010, a contestant stopped with $10,000 when they had the winning order to a one-solution Pay the Rent. The next time a contestant bailed out but could have won the $100,000 was a couple of years later with an eight-solution setup.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 02:54:21 PM »
What was the significance of the number 8 in the increased Showcase Showdown bonuses?

To celebrate their 8 total daytime Emmys.

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »

Way back in 2010, a contestant stopped with $10,000 when they had the winning order to a one-solution Pay the Rent. The next time a contestant bailed out but could have won the $100,000 was a couple of years later with an eight-solution setup.

Oooh, thanks. Appreciate the heads up.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
To me, starting off the season by offering a Mini Cooper in the first pricing game is not exciting enough. How about starting with the BMW offered later and offering a more expensive auto in that showcase? Well, we are getting an entire "premiere week", so we'll see how things go prizewise. Also, I know $100K is $100K, and I am happy for Rocco, but I couldn't get that excited as a viewer because of the easy setup.

And over eleven years after his retirement, a contestant still says "3000 Bob". :)  Shout out to Bob.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
Pretty good opener. I do wish that we had the black floors, and a few season 47 signs literally anywhere, but that's all minor stuff.

Good to see a Pay The Rent win too!

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
Somebody who's better at statistics is free to double-check me, but as I run scenarios, as long as the medicine is in the attic, the lotion is on the third level, and either the beets or the yogurt are in the mailbox, I haven't found a losing combination. Granted, this requires working top-down and not bottom-up as the game actually goes.

The medicine is the most expensive product and must be on top.

The lotion plus anything is more expensive than any other combination. The lowest possible price for (lotion + another) is 10.69 for (lotion + yogurt).

Any combination of two of the remaining four products is more expensive than either the beets or the yogurt.

Therefore,
medicine /
lotion + anything /
any two of cocoa, antacid, beets, yogurt EXCEPT (beets + yogurt) /
beets or yogurt
wins.

Am I right?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 06:32:07 PM »
First of all, thanks for doing the recaps, Roadgeek Adam. They are always so thorough and I enjoy reading them if I can't see the show one day (like today, for example; my antenna has a vendetta against me, but just for today.)

Second, I kind of anticipated Pay the Rent and an easy setup, even though I didn't actually watch the premiere.  It appears that the only way to lose was to put the allergy medicine anywhere other than the attic.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 06:59:10 PM »
The TV in IUFB #2 was an LG in case anyone cares.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
Starting with Double Prices even for a car just isn't that exciting. Should've started with Range Game as someone suggested or Cliff Hangers for the car, or just start with Pay the Rent.

Speaking of Pay the Rent, what an easy easy setup. Practically the only way to lose it would've been to put the lotion or Allegra in the mailbox or 1st floor.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 12:26:45 AM »
This was probably supposed to be a perfect show.  Pretty much everything except Money Game was a gimme -- even Pay the Rent was set up to be won.  I'm still not sure how Kevin managed to lose Double Prices, which I have to think they opened with to start off with an easy car win.

Also, they played Double Prices at Door #3!  Yay!

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Reveal.  I definitely get what they were going for -- it's a great replica of the monitors on George's podium and the Turntable -- I'm just not sure this is something that ought to be shaped like that.

It was pretty neat seeing everyone dressed in formal wear.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's a non-contrived way to get that to happen on a regular basis.

The logos that popped up during the commercial outros said "Premiere Week," so I'd assume they're going to all week.  I wonder how or if they'll deal with that on Friday, when they're airing the October 23 episode.  (Or maybe a better question would be how they'll deal with the actual Friday show when it finally airs on November 13.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline RG

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 12:33:05 AM »
I thought this was a big letdown for a season premiere.  A season premiere is supposed to be special.  The fact that it's a season premiere should be enough to stand on its own.  But then they stuck in the Daytime Emmy celebration.  I feel like the fact that it's the first show of the 47th season got shoved aside to celebrate the Emmy.  The Emmy celebration could have and should have been a separate show.

Then the lineup wasn't as good as it could have been.  Double Prices is a weak way to start off any show, let alone a special theme show.  I don't care for a practically forced win in Pay the Rent, but if they were going to do it they should have made it the opening pricing game.

I usually look forward to the season premieres, but I feel like I got cheated this year.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 12:57:56 AM »

The 2010 playing that you're referring to was a special Veterans' Day show (Nov 11, 2010), which I'm pretty sure was Pay the Rent's 5th playing.

JBK

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 07:00:27 AM »
Is it just me, or does the average age of the studio audience rise by at least 10 years when they are asked to wear formal wear to the show?  Not that it matters, just an observation.

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 12:14:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure Drew said "first ITEM up for bids" at the start of the show (instead of "first prize up for bids"). I loved hearing that.