Poll

What is your favorite version of Match Game?

Match Game 73-79 (CBS)
27 (64.3%)
Match Game PM (Syndication)
5 (11.9%)
Match Game 79-82 (Syndication)
1 (2.4%)
Match Game 90 (Syndication)
4 (9.5%)
Match Game 98 (Syndication)
0 (0%)
Match Game 16-present (ABC)
4 (9.5%)
The Match Game (NBC)
0 (0%)
The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour (NBC)
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Favorite version of Match Game  (Read 6525 times)

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: Favorite version of Match Game
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
Nothing beats the 70s version, because it just worked. I always enjoy Gene's rapport with the panel, especially Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly, Fannie Flagg and Richard Dawson. Although that begs the question: Had they not introduced the Star Wheel, would Richard (even with his additional hosting duties on Feud) have stayed on? We'll never know, but the 70s show by far outshines the others, especially the horrible current product that ABC puts out each summer.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 03:13:07 PM »
I liked MG/HS hour i wish Gene would of hosted the whole hour or they should of found someone who mesh well with Gene. Jon wasn't a good host and i hated the MG question writing.

I remember watching this as a kid in the 80s. Trust me, NO HOST could have made the Hollywood Squares portion of that good. Squares was treated pretty much as an afterthought and I'm sure Peter Marshall himself would have had a conniption fit if he had hosted it. Jon Bauman was unpolished, but certainly not horrible and was quite well-liked with the contestants. I just remember watching it as a kid in the 80s and kept thinking the show was more like Match Game featuring Hollywood Squares than a shared hour of two games.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Rosequartz2000

• Outside in Line
  • showcase showdown
    • My blog?
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
The original version with CNR, the voice of the Dirty Bubble. I remember writing a story when I found that out in like, 2000 or something where the Dirty Bubble goes on Match Game with SpongeBob, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. Too funny.
"And the survey says... whoops, I made a mistake."

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 11:45:02 PM »
The 70s, for sure, has my vote.

I could give my vote to the present-day version on ABC, which is just as good, but the political bias they've got is a serious turn-off when they should be focusing on the game than politics. (sorry mods if that comment is not allowed)

‘70s Match Game had a TON of Richard Nixon jokes/questions. Only fitting that the current version has jokes/questions about the present day political era that’s just as insane. Guess the current version sticks out a bit more for some though since it’s not a daily series.

Anyway, I definitely have to go with the ‘70s CBS version — the whole run to be honest. I like the Star Wheel and wouldn’t mind if it came back to the current version of the show as long as it increased the money a contestant could win. 

Worst version is ‘98 by far. So bad.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:48:13 PM by BD »

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 12:54:01 AM »
Excuse my rudeness, but why are we bumping this thread when the last post occurred in May 2018 (beyond the 30 day rule)?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Excuse my rudeness, but why are we bumping this thread when the last post occurred in May 2018 (beyond the 30 day rule)?

We have a new poster who's a bumper.

To Rosequartz2000: We ask on this board not to bump threads that haven't been responded to in over 30 days. It's common etiquette on most boards, and it helps keep conversation fresh.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won