Author Topic: Special Reports/Preemptions: Are they still necessary?  (Read 5655 times)

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Special Reports/Preemptions: Are they still necessary?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »
Well, considering the tiny detail that these hearings are for a guy who, if appointed, will have power for the rest of his life, I think all-day coverage was warranted.

I was annoyed that the whole Kavanaugh case was on tv all day long.

Seems there are two different things here.  Having the hearings themselves to be sure that everyone voting to approve him (or decide to not approve him) for that position makes perfect sense, so that they have all the information possible before making that decision.
The question is, does showing them to everyone else (who have no say whatsoever in the decision) make any difference?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »
Yes. Not only is this one of the biggest stories of the year, but it's compounded the fact that the midterms are in a month. Without getting too political, the senators involved are running for reelection and want to turn out their base. Getting to the truth of the Kavanaugh matter is one element--there's also elements political theater involved to get each party's base fired up for the midterms.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
Regardless of imminent electoral ramifications, this near-unprecedented hearing (only the Anita Hill situation would be similar in modern times) was a highly significant event.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 02:02:18 AM »
Nine times out of ten when TPIR or Let's Make A Deal gets pre-empted for breaking news coverage, those bumped episodes will usually get rescheduled for later in the season with the first opportunity being the week of Cyber Monday (for the sake of Price) or the few days between Christmas and New Years (which would apply to LMAD and could possibly apply to Price as well).
One issue is that Price has seemed really lazy on rescheduling. wouldn't be surprised if the preempted ep now is pushed all the way to June.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...