Author Topic: Best winning displays on game shows?  (Read 4025 times)

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Best winning displays on game shows?
« on: October 03, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
Which winning display(s) on game shows (that is to say, the methods by which game shows have indicated winners) is/are your favorite(s)?

One of my favorites, from what I've seen of it recently from Buzzr, is from The Better Sex (short-lived 1977-78 ABC game w/Bill Anderson and Sarah Purcell); the side that won the game had the orange arrow display (pointing to that side) pulsating, one of the two copies of the Better word in the title (one for each gender) flashing and moving over to the winning side, and the winning bells from Family Feud playing, along with a few peppy seconds of the theme song.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Best winning displays on game shows?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »
The "car circle" on Classic Concentration, complete with the cars changing to different colors comes to mind, combined with the bells and the bridge of the theme song.

Also, "You did it! You beat the game." from Nick Arcade, the zooming/flashing Scrabble Bonus Sprint win graphic combined with the theme and NBC sirens (also used later on in the original format with the 5th/10th win), and the smiley faces appearing on the board in Debt, and speaking of Feud, in the Dawson version, having the white lights pulsate towards the winning team complete with the winning bells, and also the bells and the board flashing with Fast Money wins. 
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
How about Australian Price's Mega Showcase win sequence?

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:36:55 PM »
Nothing beats the Big Wheel on TPIR, where you have the cash prize on the bottom of the screen (and flashing in the Barker era), along with Dig We Must and, depending on how much was won, the bells going off in the background (regular dings for the first dollar, clangs for the green section Bonus Spin, and clangs and whoops for the second dollar). The two best graphics from the Barker era were the mid-80s marquee-style one, and the certified classic star font from the last 15 years of his tenure. As for the Carey era, the current graphics are very cool to see, with the fireworks shooting off behind them.

If we're doing other game shows, then I'd say the Winner's Circle from Dick Clark's Pyramid, with the graphics flashing on the bottom of the screen, the main theme playing and the chase lights running all over the board with the six money boxes flashing. Here's one example of this:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:41:36 PM by Teddy »

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »
Thanks for the responses on that! Another of my favorites is on Tic Tac Dough w/Wink Martindale, wherein the two rings of chase lights around the X/O backdrop (behind the players) pulsated downward and around in two directions, the grid of small chase lights on the board pulsated in many directions, the winning X or O symbol flashed in and out of the winning player's pattern on the board, and the pot display at the top of the board flashed, along with red pulsating chase lights around that.

And then there's PYL w/Peter Tomarken, where the winning player at the end of the game was shown in the overlay in the middle of the board (the shot that overlaid the PYL title), with the rings of lights around all the squares flashing in unison, and the backdrop of lights on the board pulsating down and up from the middle in unison; the winning player's total was also shown with a neon pink light around it, and a flashing figure thereon.

And yes, that Aussie TPIR one was a great one!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:17:48 PM by b_masters8 »

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
I have to agree on the Scrabble Sprint win. Another great one was from Dream House. If the winning combination was entered, the lights surrounding the big doors would come up in 3 segments, sometimes followed by an almost instant pause, followed by the lights surrounding the top of the big doors chasing (or pulsating) followed by all the lights flashing, the alarms going off (I think it's cool that Scrabble, Sale of the Century, and Dreamhouse had the same alarm sounds) and the strobe lights surrounding "Dream House" strobing. I also loved seeing all the lights on Scrabble dancing with a Scrabble Sprint win, or if the champion was on for their last time, and beat their opponent in the Scrabble Sprint round with time to spare. How about the colored lights surrounding the 3 big doors (and the lights on the big doors themselves) on TPiR? LOVE to see those lights dancing like crazy if certain games are won. I also LOVE hearing the DSW alarm going off with all the lights dancing!!! Classic Concentration also had a great winning display!!! I know they used something similar on both Bill Rafferty's & Bob Eubanks's edition of Card Sharks if a car or a trip was won.

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 05:29:52 PM »
I know they used something similar on both Bill Rafferty's & Bob Eubanks's edition of Card Sharks if a car or a trip was won.

Yes, and it also had more copies of the winning word than were on Concentration, IIRC.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 07:28:49 AM »
I think there was one on Shop Till You Drop where if the winning team got "presents" that were priced to total a certain amount altogether, they'd win a trip. I'd often seen the trip's name in BOLD WHITE LETTERS flashing right in the middle of the screen if the team won the bonus round..

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »
Here's another one: when someone wins the million on Deal or No Deal:

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
I think there was one on Shop Till You Drop where if the winning team got "presents" that were priced to total a certain amount altogether, they'd win a trip. I'd often seen the trip's name in BOLD WHITE LETTERS flashing right in the middle of the screen if the team won the bonus round..

Make that BIG WHITE BOLD LETTERS

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
Here's another one: when someone wins the million on Deal or No Deal:

Similar to “[insert name here]: Millionaire” whenever someone won the prize on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 10:34:19 PM »
How about Australian Price's Mega Showcase win sequence?

That was the highest total any contestant in the Price franchise worldwide won until Adam Rose bested it in 2008
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 09:33:24 AM »
How about the pyrotechnics from Golden Road's pots?

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 04:00:10 AM »
forgot to add that if the trip was won on Shop Til You Drop, not only would the display flash the trip's name like GREECE, ITALY, or HAWAII, but the theme would play along with a TON of dings (almost like the bells used on the $100,000 Pyramid)