Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/10/2018 (TPiR Season 47 Big Money Week: Day III)  (Read 11381 times)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/10/2018 (TPiR Season 47 Big Money Week: Day III)
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 05:34:16 PM »
Can we please not play $1,000,000 Plinko anymore?

The only thing wrong with playing Plinko, regardless of the winnable amount, is how contestants always seem to listen to the audience when they scream for them to drop the chips from the sides. Today, Galen's friend in the audience was frantically waving for him to drop it from the side of the board, after he almost hit the center slot from a middle of the board drop. After he did just that, I started rooting for the $0 slots. Granted, chips do take funny bounces now and again, but it is the without a doubt the worst strategy for a chip drop.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 06:08:27 PM »
I gotta hand it to Drew: He had Bob's kicking style down to a T!
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
Good show today. Even the showcase podium almost got run over by Galen after he won.

So would the cash equivalent of the prize been awarded had the smartphone been won in Any Number, or was it only for the car since it's the top prize?

Drew mentioned during the game that it was only the Car that was going to get the cash equal. treatment.

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »
Jesus christ.  If they're going to do Million Dollar Plinko they should do it right.  Hell, overhaul the whole game.  It'd be pretty simple.

Add an extra prize at the end, a la the Superball from the retired game of the same name.

If the player wins that, it could work one of two ways:

*Nice way:  They drop that puck with no consequences.  If they hit any slot other than the center, they get 5x whatever they land in added to their total.  If they hit the center slot, their total is replaced with the maximum win - $50,000 for standard Plinko, $1,000,000 for Big Money Plinko.

*Evil way:  The player must give back what they won prior in order to drop the chip, and gets 5x whatever they land in.

Either way, you finally have a reasonably achievable win on Plinko.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »
Jesus christ.  If they're going to do Million Dollar Plinko they should do it right.  Hell, overhaul the whole game.  It'd be pretty simple.

Add an extra prize at the end, a la the Superball from the retired game of the same name.

*Nice way:  They drop that puck with no consequences.  If they hit any slot other than the center, they get 5x whatever they land in added to their total.  If they hit the center slot, their total is replaced with the maximum win - $50,000 for standard Plinko, $1,000,000 for Big Money Plinko.

*Evil way:  The player must give back what they won prior in order to drop the chip, and gets 5x whatever they land in.

What would happen if the contestant had somehow already won the full $50,000 before the sixth chip?

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 08:57:00 PM »
What would happen if the contestant had somehow already won the full $50,000 before the sixth chip?

I'm not exactly sure - but 47 years of data suggests we probably wouldn't have to worry about it.  (The very problem I want to fix.)

Probably just not play for the sixth chip.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 10:29:01 PM »

They're not going to make a prize that is worth 1/14 of the prize budget for the entire season that easy to win. (Sorry, just figured I'd remind everyone here how silly this all is...)

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »
They're not going to make a prize that is worth 1/14 of the prize budget for the entire season that easy to win. (Sorry, just figured I'd remind everyone here how silly this all is...)

Don't they usually get prize indemnity insurance for million dollar prizes?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 10:54:07 PM »
Drew mentioned during the game that it was only the Car that was going to get the cash equal. treatment.
That's what I assumed. I only heard him say they wouldn't double the piggy bank amount, I guess I missed him saying the cash equivalent would only be for winning the car.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 10:59:28 PM »

Naw, they should do a progressive jackpot for Big Money Week. Think of how exciting it would be if each time it's not hit the center slot goes up $200,000!

For real though. There has to be a better way, the big money isn't interesting. It's not exciting if they lose. And in spite of the massive stakes, it's not gonna be that exciting if they win.

Can't believe they haven't gotten creative with it. Beef up the regular amounts some, then do some all-or-nothing risk challenge for $250,000. Special gameplay for a special week, nice big prize, have to do some work to earn it.  You'd get a big enough winner to get media headlines and soundbites, in a way that feels very special, without breaking the budget.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 11:05:16 PM »
Excuse the double post.

That's what I assumed. I only heard him say they wouldn't double the piggy bank amount, I guess I missed him saying the cash equivalent would only be for winning the car.

Earlier in the week Drew explained at the top of the show "If you win 'the big prize' in each game, you win the amount in cash!" The bonus only kicks in if the game was "won".

Interestingly, the money won yesterday playing Money Game was doubled.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 12:58:23 AM »
In regards to Flip Flop, only one thing can be said...

"When in doubt, Barker it out."
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.