Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/15/2018  (Read 9368 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/15/2018
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
That is a wonderful re-do. It does appear that the profile is slightly lower than before, with the awesome old-school baseball grating at the top.

Also...Kia makes a $40+ vehicle?  Who knew?
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 04:24:45 PM »
3 Strikes looks fantastic now. Really more baseball themed than ever before.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
The crew comes through again with another killer refurbishment! I was wondering when 3 Strikes was gonna get updated, and I must say, it looks ten times better than before!

Now, here's to hoping we get a Pathfinder refurbishment in the next season or two
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »
Love this new 3X redesign , looks so vibrant now with this new color scheme. The best part of this reveal, I wasn’t spoiled by anything , Facebook , Instagram or Twitter.

Offline Archviler

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
I happened to catch Dice Game this morning, and from what I saw, it looked like the third roll (fourth number) landed on the line. Shouldn't that have been re-rolled?

I noticed that as well and was wondering the same thing. I dunno if it was a trick of the camera angle or if something was missed.

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »
Also...Kia makes a $40+ vehicle?  Who knew?

They also make a $50,000+ vehicle (the GT2 version of the Stinger) and a $60,000+ vehicle (the top trim of the K900; even a base K900 goes for over $50,000).

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
I happened to catch Dice Game this morning, and from what I saw, it looked like the third roll (fourth number) landed on the line. Shouldn't that have been re-rolled?

The 2nd 4 was on the line. I also expected Drew to say it needed to be re-rolled.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »
The 2nd 4 was on the line. I also expected Drew to say it needed to be re-rolled.

I’m 100 percent certain the rule is that the dice has to cross the line, which it did. It bounced back and landed on the line. No problem there.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 07:21:16 PM »
Concerning the refurbished 3 STRIKES: I like it.  Although I do have ONE beef with it.  The balls that have the numbers on it...keep it the way it is.  The strike balls with the red X on it: needs a bit of work....I think the balls that are the strike balls: the balls need to be red, with a black X on it.  I think that is much better from my honest opinion.

As for the gameplay itself, poor Greta.  Those cursed strikes did her in.  Although she knew what she was doing.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »
Regarding 3 Strikes...the set beautiful.  But there is too much of the dark green.  I like what they added to the top, but feel like the small Goodson Marks and dollar sign are a bit over-the-top.  Of course, I'm not a fan of the LED displays either, but that ship has sailed.  I did like the old font of numbers much better.
I liked the old number font as well. Seeing the “3” in the old style in the name of the game gave me hope they would keep it, even with an LED update, as was done with the one-bid displays. But no. So I’m a little :-(.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 08:39:58 PM »
I’m 100 percent certain the rule is that the dice has to cross the line, which it did. It bounced back and landed on the line. No problem there.
Many times I'd seen Bob call for a re-roll in that exact circumstance. Must've changed at some point.

EDIT: Regarding the new 3 Strikes set-up... if you use red balls for the strikes, wouldn't that enable another Toni moment?

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »
This 3 Strikes change is so obvious, I was literally slapping my head.  It's like, of course they should use baseballs instead of discs!

The only hiccup in the prop seems to be the opening of the new container.  Greta was really struggling to get the ball through that sphincter-like sock underneath the leather.  Looks like it was starting to loosen up a bit near the end, but it could be tough for an elderly person to play this game.

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »
I liked the old number font as well. Seeing the “3” in the old style in the name of the game gave me hope they would keep it, even with an LED update, as was done with the one-bid displays.

I agree, the old font would have made it a lot better. But it is cool that the new font looks like number on baseball uniforms.

I like this re-design, but I don't love it. I'm sure it will grow on me though.

Probably the main gripe I have other than the font is the lack of gold anywhere on the prop. It's a very elegant color and represents luxury, which is the type of car 3 Strikes is played for.

Like I said, I'm sure it will grow on me, but 3 Strikes was not a game that came to mind as one that needed a refurbishment... and they are good at refurbishing games most of the time. Bullseye, for instance.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »
The only hiccup in the prop seems to be the opening of the new container.  Greta was really struggling to get the ball through that sphincter-like sock underneath the leather.

"I'm sorry... not only did you lose the car, you also lost your watch."

I'm trying to figure out the tech behind the board. The Xs appear to be good old-fashioned light boxes (I also appreciate the logo rendered in light boxes).

But what are those numbers? They're not shaped like 16×9 monitors. And while Do the Math has shown us that the show can get rectangular monitors in custom dimensions, I want to believe that they didn't do that this time.

I think the fact that the rectangles are black before the numbers appear is a tell. 'Cause if those were actually TV monitors, you know they'd be overflowing with animations. Yet they do turn on instantly. My hypothesis is that each number is an actual green-and-white (with decorative darkened edges to give it an old-fashioned look) panel, made of some kind of translucent plastic material, sitting on top of an LED backlight (imagine the thing that doctors use to view x-rays). A dark cover would keep the numbers from being seen until the bright LEDs are activated.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »
So does 3 Strikes get nicknamed 'The Green Monster', because it seems that particular shade of green is awful similar to the left field wall at Fenway Park....
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!