Author Topic: A question about wiped shows  (Read 14161 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: A question about wiped shows
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
There are a few more GSN didn’t run on YouTube, including the Dec. 25, 1961 to Jan. 8, 1962 shows with commercials.

How many exist of nighttime run total? About 75?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »
How many exist of nighttime run total? About 75?
Or rather, how many circulate, since there's no real way of gauging what exists, short of Fremantle giving some kind of statement on the matter.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »
Or rather, how many circulate, since there's no real way of gauging what exists, short of Fremantle giving some kind of statement on the matter.

Fair, but do you really believe much more would exist past that? I imagine something mighta popped up by now if more had, but then again who knows, new stuff seemingly gone us unearthed all the time so could be surprised lol. I saw this comment on YT last night (under a video with a short clip of the finale of the original Concentration from 1973) "It's my understanding from a retired NBC VP that all of the 1971-73 episodes of "Concentration" do indeed exist on their original U-Matic broadcast tape cassettes in storage, as do the last season of "The Match Game," most of the 1973-75 episodes of "Jeopardy!", and the entire run of the syndicated weekly nighttime version of "Jeopardy!". ", but whether it's true and if we'd ever get to see any of it is anyone's guess. Never know though what may be out there in any case for sure....I'll be willing to admit that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:00:15 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 09:15:57 PM »
If the last season of the original Match Game exists, why doesn’t GSN or Buzzr have it? You would think one of them would air one of these episodes at least once.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 09:34:05 PM »
I saw this comment on YT last night (under a video with a short clip of the finale of the original Concentration from 1973) "It's my understanding from a retired NBC VP that all of the 1971-73 episodes of "Concentration" do indeed exist on their original U-Matic broadcast tape cassettes in storage, as do the last season of "The Match Game," most of the 1973-75 episodes of "Jeopardy!", and the entire run of the syndicated weekly nighttime version of "Jeopardy!". ", but whether it's true and if we'd ever get to see any of it is anyone's guess.

I don't know, but it sounds hinky to me that they'd mention the shows being archived on U-Matic, rather than the 2" quad tapes they would've most likely been originally recorded on. It is possible, though, that they may have used U-Matic as an "offline" format for editing or evaluation purposes.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2018, 01:16:39 AM »
I don't know, but it sounds hinky to me that they'd mention the shows being archived on U-Matic, rather than the 2" quad tapes they would've most likely been originally recorded on. It is possible, though, that they may have used U-Matic as an "offline" format for editing or evaluation purposes.

It might be why there's only those shows that exist if it's true, ie: only a certain number of shows were transferred. It's all conjecture though obviously, as is why GSN or Buzzr wouldn't have aired any of say the Match Game last year or anything else mentioned if it exists.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2018, 03:26:04 AM »
It might be why there's only those shows that exist if it's true, ie: only a certain number of shows were transferred. It's all conjecture though obviously, as is why GSN or Buzzr wouldn't have aired any of say the Match Game last year or anything else mentioned if it exists.
If it's U-Matic, then it likely wouldn't have the same picture quality as the original quad tapes, and thus wouldn't be deemed "broadcast quality"... though at the same time, that argument falls flat on its face when you take kinescopes into consideration.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
Prompted by something I read elsewhere, I would bring back 70s Split Second.  The very few episode available on YouTube are very fun and exciting games to watch, and this version was just so much better I think than the 80s version

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »
It would also be nice to see more of The Magnificent Marble Machine than the one of two episodes that appear to be currently available, as I'll admit this show's a bit of a guilty pleasure since I first caught a glimpse. 

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2018, 12:47:54 AM »
I would choose Second Chance, the short-lived inspiration for Press Your Luck.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
If the last season of the original Match Game exists, why doesn’t GSN or Buzzr have it? You would think one of them would air one of these episodes at least once.
If you mean of the CBS version, GSN aired it including the ten unaired episodes around late 2002. The last season of the actual original version (NBC, 1962-69) is pretty much kaput.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
My soap opera answer would be Another World, during the Steve/Alice/Rachel triangle.

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2018, 07:40:21 PM »
I'm surprised nobody so far has mentioned the original NBC daytime version of "The Hollywood Squares" with Peter Marshall as a wiped show they would want to go back and save. Imagine how long of a compilation video we could post on YouTube with all the funny zingers and moments from that show (particularly from center square occupant Paul Lynde).

Also from Merrill Heatter-Bob Quigley, the two runs of "High Rollers" with Alex Trebek, as that was in my opinion a pretty enjoyable game show that sadly doesn't have all the episodes exist anymore. Not to mention it was the show that put the future "Jeopardy" host on the map in this country.

I'd also love to see the majority of the first two-and-a-half years of "What's My Line?" that are lost to history, so we can see much more of Louis Untermeyer & Hal Block on the show before they were both fired for different reasons (Untermeyer for the Red Scare & Block for making too many risque jokes in a more conservative time). Not to mention the mystery guests from those episodes that never appeared on any of the episodes from July 20, 1952 (when Goodson-Todman started saving the kinescopes) to September 3, 1967 (when it ended).

There is a couple of non game show examples...

The soap opera Another World, with Robin Strasser playing the manipulative troublemaker Rachel. Add in the organ music, and it would be a great find! Even better if it was in living color.

Guiding Light from 1968-1974.

The early eps of The Doctors.

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »
There's a single episode that exists, but only the one.

There's more than that, they just don't circulate. The Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago has one filmed at the former Food Fair (now a Shop-n-Save) in Niles, IL.

Offline yuki-louve

• Outside in Line
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2018, 03:35:45 AM »
Besides "Second Chance", the '60s Fleming version of "Jeopardy" (if for no other reason than so Weird Al fans could see what Art Fleming as host was really like), the Trebek (speaking of "Jeopardy") run of "High Rollers", and the original "Supermarket Sweep", I'd save:

The Big Showdown, since only a pilot and "The Big Fall Down" seem to still exist.

Camouflage (the '60s version), because one circulating episode begins with a review of a retiring champion's many prizes, and I would have loved to have seen her actually play at least.

I'm surprised nobody so far has mentioned the original NBC daytime version of "The Hollywood Squares" with Peter Marshall as a wiped show they would want to go back and save. Imagine how long of a compilation video we could post on YouTube with all the funny zingers and moments from that show (particularly from center square occupant Paul Lynde).

Was the episode with the "Art Fleming would never lie" incident part of that, or was that actually among the episodes that were saved and either GSN didn't show or I missed it when they did? I'd love to have seen that episode in its entirety. On that note, I'd also save "Storybook Squares"- both the Saturday morning series and the episode part of special themed daytime weeks.