Author Topic: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"  (Read 20323 times)

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »
Another day, another thread that has devolved into a ‘Bob vs Drew’ argument...  :rollold:
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
the way CBS went about the replacement, giving it to a guy who admitted he never watched the show, no audition, and only took it when they offered large amounts of money, tells me they wanted a name instead of a host.

And that is a perfectly reasonable and defensible business decision, though he WAS a host, which shouldn't be lost in the equation. In part of course because it's their hour of airtime, but because the direction the entertainment landscape was heading was pretty clear. A "name" cuts through the noise, it gives a jolt of energy to a program that, objectively, needed that were it to have a good chance of making it another decade plus.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
How about we quit arguing like a bunch of children?

Drew excels in some ways, Bob excels in others. I respect what both has done. Drew ain't no Bob Barker, but he doesn't have to be. He's successfully molded the show into his own form, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Save the arguments for another time and another place entirely.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2018, 03:46:17 AM »
Let's also remember that Drew didn't have much experience being a game show host. Before TPIR, he hosted Power of 10 for one season in 2007. On the other hand, Bob hosted Truth or Consequences for 18 years in total (16 of those were before TPIR) which is more than Drew has hosted now. And for another comparison, Dennis James, who hosted the primetime TPIR for eight years, had been hosting game shows for a whopping 28 years prior to TPIR, starting with Cash and Carry in 1946.

I would also like to reiterate once more that, for Drew to be as good a host as he can, he will have to host his own way.
Five years.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2018, 05:01:17 AM »
Part of the reason I haven’t seen a whole episode of the show in close to ten years is Drew’s awful hosting. I always see him mumbling, or fumbling around, or looking bored, traits that a game show host should not have.

If you haven't seen a whole episode in ten years, maybe you should change that. Watch a full episode. Not just a little clip. It's hard for you to argue the current quality of the show/host when you've barely watched it.

Anyway, my what-if (I don't think it's been mentioned): what if Roger had not been let go after season 36? Would he be retired by now or still working?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:11:22 AM by priceguy »

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »
Anyway, my what-if (I don't think it's been mentioned): what if Roger had not been let go after season 36? Would he be retired by now or still working?

Stayed on 3 or 4 more years, then retired and handed over production duties to an underling whom he had been training during that time, most likely.

That being said, I think Roger getting fired was inevitable, even if someone other than Drew became host. He had gotten way too used to the way Bob did things, and was too resistant to change.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2018, 04:16:00 AM »
How about we quit arguing like a bunch of children?

Drew excels in some ways, Bob excels in others. I respect what both has done. Drew ain't no Bob Barker, but he doesn't have to be. He's successfully molded the show into his own form, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Save the arguments for another time and another place entirely.

Right on the money-- Bob does have his place in television's storied past, but Drew, in his more than a decade on TPIR, has quite obviously made a name for himself, and I do enjoy seeing Drew, and have enjoyed it a lot lately.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »
Breaking away from the "Bob vs. Drew" catfights...

What if Plinko actually makes a perfect winner someday?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »
Five years.
For some odd reason, I thought he hosted from 1972-80. I should've checked with Wikipedia first!

What if Plinko actually makes a perfect winner someday?
That's just it...it's never gonna happen. At least I don't think it ever will.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline plinkoboard

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2018, 01:10:13 AM »
What if the original Bullseye had different rules for winning such as you won by guessing within $5 or $10 and if you guessed correctly you got a $100 bonus?  Even though at least 2 people would've won that way it still might've been retired when it was and replaced with something new.  What if you could bail out with 1 or 2 cars in Triple Play?  What if Michael Romano Jr. from the 3/30/17 episode rounded his bid up to $31,160 thus resulting in a tie difference in the showcase?

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2018, 01:09:12 PM »

What if Hulu (or other service)  had all seasons all episodes of TPiR available for streaming?     Hey, I can dream, can't I?
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2018, 02:29:57 PM »
What if Clock Game John had played Poker Game? Would "Poker Game John" have become a game show legend?

What if I had been chosen as a contestant the day I was there and gotten to play Plinko? Would I have become the first contestant to win Plinko?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2018, 03:28:24 PM »
There was an incident in season 37 where a contestant playing Plinko was given $30,000 because they didn't remove wire that set up the chip to hit the $10,000 after filming a promo for a video game-- what if this had not been noticed and the contestant won $50,000 as a result? Would they have given the contestant $50,000 and then reshot the game to be played honestly like they did, or would they have kept in the tainted $50,000 win just to say someone won Plinko and get publicity out of it? They didn't use the perfect showcase bid for publicity because they assumed there was cheating involved and finding out the circumstances behind the Plinko win certainly would've been a PR nightmare.

As for the possibility of Plinko being fully won without anything like the above incident happening, probably the only way it happens is if they change the board to have two $10,000 slots.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2018, 05:19:16 PM »
finding out the circumstances behind the Plinko win certainly would've been a PR nightmare.

You answered your own question there; about the last message you would ever want to send to the general viewership is “We have the ability to rig the Plinko board”. (And a close second would be implying “Nobody will ever win Plinko unless we really, really screw up.”)

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
Quote from: JayC
...or would they have kept in the tainted $50,000 win just to say someone won Plinko and get publicity out of it?

I think this would been illegal, or at the very least run afoul of the S&P rules - even if the "rigging" was in the contestant's favor.

And in today's environment, with HD and DVR capabilities, it wouldn't have taken a second for some sharp eyed viewer to spot it and post it all over the internet.  Pretending someone won a game that was rigged for them to win, and using that for publicity would be almost as bad as getting caught rigging a game for a player to lose.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.