Author Topic: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"  (Read 20126 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:40:11 PM »
We all have a few things relating to Price that we wonder, "what if that didn't happen," or, "what if this-and-that were changed." For me, I have a few what-ifs:

• What if Dennis James had gotten the nod for the daytime PIR?
  • What if Price had never gone to an hour-long format?

And deeper/more serious what-ifs, such as....

• What if the allegations in the 1990s had happened today?
  • What if Terry Kniess had bid $23,500 like Slauson had wanted him to?
  • What if Drew and the Dob had gotten along better?

So I'll ask you: What is your biggest TPIR-related "what-ifs", and how would they have changed Price's trajectory toward what it is today?
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: Your biggest TPIR "what-ifs"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

We could spend forever speculating how if 'x' were changed, how would that change the outcome of 'y', but the present will remain the same.  There is certainly a long list of things I wish could have happened differently with the show, but the past can't be changed, so I accept the present for what it is and look forward to a promising future. 

I feel like all our times here are better spent not shaking the Magic 8 ball to see what different scenarios we can come up with for an intangible past.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »
  • What if Terry Kniess had bid $23,500 like Slauson had wanted him to?

Since I recently received an email from the HR department at work that was addressed "Dear Slauson," I guess I may as well go ahead and change my name.

Online tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:53:22 AM »
What if the allegations in the 1990s had happened today?

Drew would have to fight awfully hard to keep his job. We all saw what happened to Les Moonves, Bill Cosby and Brett Kavanaugh, who are among the many people who have had accusations put before them, regardless if they were true or not. And besides, even if the allegations were proven false, and Drew kept his job, it is possible that the TPIR fan base could weaken substantially, which might result in:

a) CBS would have to fire Drew and look for someone else, or

b) cancel the show altogether

If these allegations were brought forth and disproven, maybe it would have no effect on the current TPIR. Let's just hope and pray that nothing of the sort comes upon him or anybody else.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
What if Price never moves to the afternoon with Match Game?  Possibly Pyramid never exists and I think Price and Match both have very different ratings trajectories.

Since I recently received an email from the HR department at work that was addressed "Dear Slauson," I guess I may as well go ahead and change my name.
Did it come from Art Fern?
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »
What if Rod was still alive when Drew took over as host?

Offline Mark

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 07:55:57 AM »

• What if Dennis James had gotten the nod for the daytime PIR?

They would have been looking for a new host at least 10 years sooner, since Dennis passed away in 1997.

Online JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »
What if Rod was still alive when Drew took over as host?
Assuming he hadn't gotten ill and stayed with the show while Bob hosted, my guess is he would've been let go either at the same time Roger was or when Rich was.

Another what if?- What if after Roger was let go there were major changes to the show's format, like having just four games a show, eliminating the Item Up for Bids, and both contestants bidding on the same Showcases?

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
Although I love Drew, when Bob announced his retirement and the search for a new host was starting, I wanted Rich to take over the hosting duties.

What if Rich did become the host?

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
What if Daniel Rosen was chosen as announcer?

*ducks*

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »
I have to ask - what if Bill Cullen wasn't tied up with three shows out of NYC in 1972?

Offline plinko2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 06:32:21 AM »
I have to ask - what if Bill Cullen wasn't tied up with three shows out of NYC in 1972?

He still couldn't have done Price because of his limp.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 07:34:32 AM »
He still couldn't have done Price because of his limp.
If they were set on Bill Cullen hosting the revival, they would have found a way to make it happen.  The staging may have been different than what we are used to, but I could image a pricing game "area" where all the games are played from and the prizes would/could be all over the stage. 

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »
Rich would made a better host then announcer.
I think Rod would of left when Bob did i can't see him being on the show after Bob.
I can't see Dennis hosting the show until his death in 97 i think he would of left and retired.

What if Bob retired in the early 2000's?
What if Todd Newton did took over the show?
What if the show used The Bruce's Price is Right format?
What if the Doug Davidson version lasted?

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
Bill Cullen would have done a tremendous job had he taken it.